Posted to rec.woodworking

Default resin mixing

On 8/9/2015 10:39 AM, John McCoy wrote:
Electric Comet wrote in news:mq5n6n$lb$1
@dont-email.me:

are you trying to say that the pump measures the volume as well

Yes, exactly. West System, for example, sells a pump set
that fits on their cans. The pump for the resin pumps 5
times as much, per stroke, as the pump for the catalyst,
thus you get the correct 5:1 ratio.

John

soooooo. How much in a single stroke? And what if you want a smaller
quantity?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 9 Aug 2015 15:39:41 +0000 (UTC)
John McCoy wrote:

Yes, exactly. West System, for example, sells a pump set
that fits on their cans. The pump for the resin pumps 5
times as much, per stroke, as the pump for the catalyst,
thus you get the correct 5:1 ratio.

definitely would save time
seems to me that the big issue is to make sure your mixing is thorough

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

soooooo. How much in a single stroke?

Enough.

And what if you want a smaller quantity?

Tough, you get what you get. Find something else that needs
glueing to use up the extra...

(in all seriousness, if you're using that sort of epoxy you'd
likely need much more than one stroke's worth of epoxy. If
you only need a little bit, get the two-tube 5 minute epoxy
from Home Despot).

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote in news:mq825u$31o$1
@dont-email.me:

seems to me that the big issue is to make sure your mixing is thorough

That is more a problem for what you're doing, because the
product is clear. Most epoxies the catalyst is a darker
color than the resin, and you can see by the color that
it's well mixed.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 8/9/2015 10:39 AM, John McCoy wrote:
Electric Comet wrote in
news:mq5n6n$lb$1 @dont-email.me:

are you trying to say that the pump measures the volume as well

Yes, exactly. West System, for example, sells a pump set
that fits on their cans. The pump for the resin pumps 5
times as much, per stroke, as the pump for the catalyst,
thus you get the correct 5:1 ratio.

John

soooooo. How much in a single stroke? And what if you want a smaller
quantity?

The pumps I have dispense 1 oz. per stroke. If I'm using 1:3, I pump one
resin, three hardener. If I want less, I do fractional strokes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 10 Aug 2015 14:44:48 +0000 (UTC)
John McCoy wrote:

That is more a problem for what you're doing, because the
product is clear. Most epoxies the catalyst is a darker
color than the resin, and you can see by the color that
it's well mixed.

that is a good feature
it could be a real problem for a large pour

for me it is not a big problem because of such small batches

Shower Tray - Resin Stone V Resin Polymer Markt UK diy 1 December 6th 10 05:20 PM
Shower Tray - Resin Stone V Resin Polymer Markt UK diy 0 December 6th 10 12:51 PM
Resin help please Deb Woodworking 8 April 22nd 06 05:08 PM
resin painting? Jeff and Jennifer Cook Woodworking 2 February 28th 05 04:15 PM
Mixing oil and gas Dan Hartung Home Repair 27 June 4th 04 07:21 AM