Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: A Trip On The Train

A trip on the train has always been an item on my Bucket List.

Have heard my share of "war stories" about train travel: however,
recently had a need to travel to Albuquerque, NM and since retirement,
the need to get some place as quickly as possible is no longer quite
so
important.

I've learned to go with the flow as my life's journey plays out.

Kind of like traveling by sail boat, when you get there you get there.

Air travel was out of the question and my days of driving
300-500 miles/day for two or more days are history.

What to do? Almost by accident, found out that Amtrak provided
train service between Los Angeles and Albuquerque, NM.

Elected to take an Amtrak package that covered meals, sleeping
accommodations, and community showers.

Sounds like some of my sailing cruises, only on land.

Decided to depart from Fullerton, CA rather than Union station
located in down town LA.

Since I have a handicap parking tag, I was able to park for a week
within 30 ft of the front door for FREE.

Bought tickets on line.

Arrived at Fullerton about 3:00 PM.

Exchanged for hard copy tickets and checked bags in less than
20 minutes and retired to a sidewalk cafe to wait for our train.

The well documented L/A traffic was not a problem.

Boarded the train about 5:00 PM and departed about 5:15 PM.

Had dinner reservations at 7:00 PM.

Food was quite good.

Seating was catch as catch can. You were assigned a seat.
The result was some pleasant conversation during dinner with
some folks who had been complete strangers an hour earlier.
(Another one of life's opportunities)

After dinner, the observation car until dark, then back to the sleeper
car where our bunks were waiting.

Could have checked the on board cafe but didn't bother.

The head facilities were adequate and frankly better than some
$250K yachts I've seen.

Breakfast was served starting around 6:00 AM the following morning.

After breakfast with some more strangers, it was time to get ready
for arrival.

Arrival in Albuquerque, NM was less than an hour late, baggage was
reclaimed after close inspection of claim checks.

The return trip was basically the mirror image of the outbound leg.

The news today has been almost continuous about the fires in the
Cajon Pass (I-15 between L/A and Vegas).

I was on the train in the Cajon Pass about 2 hours before the fires
started which is about a 2,000 foot change in elevation.

Have crossed ac train trip off my bucket list. It was a experience.

Will I take another train trip? If I can find one that I think I would
like.
then absolutely.

Doubt I will go back to Albuquerque.

Didn't know there could be so many rocks in one place along with
a few scrub trees.

Would I suggest a train trip to someone else?

If you are a type "A", probably not.

If not a type "A", you might enjoy it.

Have fun.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/18/2015 2:48 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
[...]

Glad to hear you liked the trip.

If you by any chance are up to it, getting to Durango, Co., there is a
train ride to and from Silverton, Co..
This is a steam locomotive ride that follows the rail along a river and
the sights are unbelievable.
It is a bucket list thing to do and one that you probably never forget.

Great to do in Sep-Oct when it cools down a bit and kids are back in school.

http://www.durangotrain.com/
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 07/18/2015 2:48 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Doubt I will go back to Albuquerque.

Didn't know there could be so many rocks in one place along with
a few scrub trees.

Did you pick up the Nuclear Science & History Museum out east (north of
Kirtland AFB) by any chance't?

A spot I made that hadn't ever done last spring on way back thru was the
Petroglyph National Monument just on the west edge of the city and north
a few miles...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:55aa04db$0$39623
:

Since I have a handicap parking tag, I was able to park for a week
within 30 ft of the front door for FREE.

Glad you enjoyed the train trip, it's always been one of my
favorite things, riding on a train.

I'm pondering the fairness of this statement, tho. At what
point does parking move from a courtesy to the handicapped,
to an imposition on taxpayers? At what point does one person
using a handicapped spot become a "hog" depriving other
handicapped of the opportunity?

Those are serious questions. Obviously the answer depends
to some extent on how much other parking exists, and how many
handicapped people are trying to use the spaces.

FWIW, Fort Lauderdale airport no longer provides free parking
for handicapped - they made that change after discovering that
Canadians who were seasonal residents were parking in April
and retreiving their cars in October (I think we all agree that
6 months free is a bit excessive). In general in Florida the
limit is 4 hours free parking with a handicapped tag.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

If you by any chance are up to it, getting to Durango, Co., there is a
train ride to and from Silverton, Co..
This is a steam locomotive ride that follows the rail along a river
and the sights are unbelievable.
It is a bucket list thing to do and one that you probably never
forget.

Great to do in Sep-Oct when it cools down a bit and kids are back in
school.

+1 on the Durango-Silverton trip. That's a particularly
beautiful part of the country, and you can make a very nice
vacation out of the train ride, a day in Mesa Verde National
Park, and a day or two just driving around the area.

Word of warning, tho - Silverton is 3000 feet higher than
Durango, and in the spring and fall it can easily be 30
degrees colder. Don't forget to take your jacket with you,
even if the weather's nice in Durango.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
eb.com...
[...]

Had a staff meeting in SF in 1993 after which we arranged to board the
Amtrak in Oakland and ride it up past Sacramento and on into the High Sierra
terminating in Reno, NV. A beautiful ride once you get past Sacramento. No
return trip; flew back to Houston.

Dave in SoTex

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 14:45:21 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy
wrote:

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:55aa04db$0$39623
:

Since I have a handicap parking tag, I was able to park for a week
within 30 ft of the front door for FREE.

Glad you enjoyed the train trip, it's always been one of my
favorite things, riding on a train.

I'm pondering the fairness of this statement, tho. At what
point does parking move from a courtesy to the handicapped,
to an imposition on taxpayers? At what point does one person
using a handicapped spot become a "hog" depriving other
handicapped of the opportunity?

At what point does Amtrak, itself, become an imposition on taxpayers?

Those are serious questions. Obviously the answer depends
to some extent on how much other parking exists, and how many
handicapped people are trying to use the spaces.

....or Amtrak itself.

FWIW, Fort Lauderdale airport no longer provides free parking
for handicapped - they made that change after discovering that
Canadians who were seasonal residents were parking in April
and retreiving their cars in October (I think we all agree that
6 months free is a bit excessive). In general in Florida the
limit is 4 hours free parking with a handicapped tag.

Completely reasonable.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"John McCoy"

[...]

Another neat railroad in Colorado is the Silver
Plume
steam train. Not very long like the Durango but
good...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/18/2015 10:45 AM, John McCoy wrote:

I'm pondering the fairness of this statement, tho. At what
point does parking move from a courtesy to the handicapped,
to an imposition on taxpayers? At what point does one person
using a handicapped spot become a "hog" depriving other
handicapped of the opportunity?

Those are serious questions. Obviously the answer depends
to some extent on how much other parking exists, and how many
handicapped people are trying to use the spaces.

FWIW, Fort Lauderdale airport no longer provides free parking
for handicapped - they made that change after discovering that
Canadians who were seasonal residents were parking in April
and retreiving their cars in October (I think we all agree that
6 months free is a bit excessive). In general in Florida the
limit is 4 hours free parking with a handicapped tag.

John

My wife has a placard and it does make parking easier. I really don't
see the need to give long term free parking though. If you can afford a
vacation, you can afford the parking.

Handicapped parking is a big help at times, but it is often abused.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/18/2015 3:48 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
A trip on the train has always been an item on my Bucket List.

Elected to take an Amtrak package that covered meals, sleeping
accommodations, and community showers.

Would I suggest a train trip to someone else?

If you are a type "A", probably not.

If not a type "A", you might enjoy it.

Have fun.

Lew

Sounds like a good trip. I've been wanting to do something like that
also. My train rides have been limited to 50 to 150 miles.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

Glad to hear you liked the trip.

If you by any chance are up to it, getting to Durango, Co., there is
a train ride to and from Silverton, Co..
This is a steam locomotive ride that follows the rail along a river
and the sights are unbelievable.
It is a bucket list thing to do and one that you probably never
forget.

Great to do in Sep-Oct when it cools down a bit and kids are back in
school.

http://www.durangotrain.com/

BTDT. Great way to spend a day.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John McCoy" wrote:

Glad you enjoyed the train trip, it's always been one of my
favorite things, riding on a train.

I'm pondering the fairness of this statement, tho. At what
point does parking move from a courtesy to the handicapped,
to an imposition on taxpayers? At what point does one person
using a handicapped spot become a "hog" depriving other
handicapped of the opportunity?

The parking was included regardless so it was free in any event.

The handicapped parking ticket simply helped a bunch.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote:

Did you pick up the Nuclear Science & History Museum out east (north
of Kirtland AFB) by any chance't?

A spot I made that hadn't ever done last spring on way back thru was
the Petroglyph National Monument just on the west edge of the city
and north a few miles...

Missed that one.

Somebody else set the agenda.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

krw wrote in news:12tkqad411i9a5v3ogmpej9e2hb48c8erh@
4ax.com:

At what point does Amtrak, itself, become an imposition on taxpayers?

Well, yeah, that's a different question. I could argue
that one either way.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in
:

It's a parking space at a railroad station. Any reasonable person would
assume that the person using it intends to do something involving
trains. If there was an objection to using it for 30 days or whatever
it would be signed accordingly.

If it's a line with commuter service, one might assume it
would be used for only one day.

But you make a good point that it should be signed if there
was a concern in that respect.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Phil Kangas" wrote in news:modshi$jsj$1@dont-
email.me:

Another neat railroad in Colorado is the Silver
Plume
steam train. Not very long like the Durango but
good...

The Georgetown Loop. Yes, that's a good one if you just have
time for a day trip out of Denver. About a 90 min drive from
Denver to Georgetown/Silver Plume.

If you're really into trains, the Cumbres and Toltec, from
Chama NM (a part of the state with more trees and less rocks)
to Antonito CO is another good ride, but it's an all-day
affair, and kind of in the middle of nowhere.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 20:33:30 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy
wrote:

krw wrote in news:12tkqad411i9a5v3ogmpej9e2hb48c8erh@
4ax.com:

At what point does Amtrak, itself, become an imposition on taxpayers?

Well, yeah, that's a different question. I could argue
that one either way.

People have tried to justify such subsidies but I've never found one
that comes close to passing the sniff test.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

krw wrote in news:12tkqad411i9a5v3ogmpej9e2hb48c8erh@
4ax.com:

At what point does Amtrak, itself, become an imposition on taxpayers?

Well, yeah, that's a different question. I could argue
that one either way.

People have tried to justify such subsidies but I've never found one
that comes close to passing the sniff test.

Speaking of transportation rides, I can not help mention the one we
took. It is not long, but puts you in a whole different world. In
Metamora Indiana, you can ride a canal boat. The boat is pulled by
houses, and goes trough an aqueduct that crosses a stream. Like I said
it is not long but the experience is well worth the trip.

In the 1820, taking a canal boat must have seem like heaven after riding
a horse, a wagon, or stage coach. Sitting in the boat and watching the
world go by silently at about 4 to 5 mph.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

krw wrote in news:12tkqad411i9a5v3ogmpej9e2hb48c8erh@
4ax.com:

At what point does Amtrak, itself, become an imposition on taxpayers?

Well, yeah, that's a different question. I could argue
that one either way.

People have tried to justify such subsidies but I've never found one
that comes close to passing the sniff test.

The subsidies provided by Illinois to Amtrack do allow Chicago college
kids to get to most of our Universities.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

krw wrote in news:12tkqad411i9a5v3ogmpej9e2hb48c8erh@
4ax.com:

At what point does Amtrak, itself, become an imposition on taxpayers?

Well, yeah, that's a different question. I could argue
that one either way.

People have tried to justify such subsidies but I've never found one
that comes close to passing the sniff test.

The subsidies provided by Illinois to Amtrack do allow Chicago college
kids to get to most of our Universities.

If Illinois wants to subsidize rail, let them pay the whole Magilla.
OTOH, Illinois is bankrupt, so...
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

OP: "The boat is pulled by houses, "

That one is a special edition and only runs occasionally. However the
one pulled by horses is always available.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Keith Nuttle wrote in
:

On 7/18/2015 6:27 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

Speaking of transportation rides, I can not help mention the one we
took. It is not long, but puts you in a whole different world. In
Metamora Indiana, you can ride a canal boat. The boat is pulled by
houses, and goes trough an aqueduct that crosses a stream. Like I
said it is not long but the experience is well worth the trip.

In the 1820, taking a canal boat must have seem like heaven after
riding a horse, a wagon, or stage coach. Sitting in the boat and
watching the world go by silently at about 4 to 5 mph.

OP: "The boat is pulled by houses, "

That one is a special edition and only runs occasionally. However
the one pulled by horses is always available.

Where's Metamora, IN?

Houses, huh? Well 10/10 for style, but -1,000,000 for practical
thinking!

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/18/2015 5:36 PM, Markem wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 17:24:36 -0400, krw wrote:

On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 20:33:30 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy
wrote:

[snip]

People have tried to justify such subsidies but I've never found one
that comes close to passing the sniff test.

The subsidies provided by Illinois to Amtrack do allow Chicago college
kids to get to most of our Universities.

What Illinois subsidies are you speaking of Markem? Hadn't heard of
them or are you speaking of a student discount ticket? Is it paid by
the UofI system towards student's tickets or a general infusion of cash
from our "always in the red" general fund. If it has the word Illinois
in it, there is nothing that will ever pass the smell test.g

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/18/2015 10:04 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Keith Nuttle wrote in
:

[...]

If that was not a rhetorical question, Metamore is about half way
between Cincinnati and Indianapolis several miles north of I-74.

It was a port on the Whitewater canal that ran between Lawrenceburg
Indiana on the Ohio river north to east central Indiana near Richmond.
I believe it was active from the 1830 into the 1860's

Posted to rec.woodworking

Keith Nuttle wrote in news:mog4av$1fp$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

If that was not a rhetorical question, Metamore is about half way
between Cincinnati and Indianapolis several miles north of I-74.

It was a port on the Whitewater canal that ran between Lawrenceburg
Indiana on the Ohio river north to east central Indiana near Richmond.
I believe it was active from the 1830 into the 1860's

I should have looked it up instead of asking... Looks like it might be
worth the detour if you're traveling on either I74 or I70.

Speaking of water rides along I74, there's the Spirit of Peoria paddle
boat in Peoria, IL. Their normal trip takes you just a few miles up
Peoria Lake. (The Illinois River flows through a couple lakes.)

On the other side of the river, there's a Bass Pro Shop.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/18/2015 2:48 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
A trip on the train has always been an item on my Bucket List.

Great story, Lew.

My favorite mode of transportation since a youngster riding alone to
visit my grandparents for the summer, have ridden trains all over
Europe, the UK, and in Australia.

Have never been on an Amtrak run train, mainly because to go North out
of Houston since Amtrak you have to take a damned Amtrak bus to Dallas.

(right, Leon? LOL)

Although I could walk to NOLA almost as fast, might have to do the
Sunset Limited one more time, though it wasn't Amtrak the last time I
rode it ... that's how long it's been.

If you really like train travel and get a chance, read some Paul Theroux
(start with The Old Patagonian Express).

http://www.amazon.com/Old-Patagonian...158 14&sr=1-7

Thanks for sharing.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

Unquestionably Confused wrote in news:jTDqx.159319
:

On 7/18/2015 5:36 PM, Markem wrote:

The subsidies provided by Illinois to Amtrack do allow Chicago college
kids to get to most of our Universities.

What Illinois subsidies are you speaking of Markem?

He's speaking of the law (passed during the Bush administration)
that requires the states to cover most operating costs for
Amtrak services other than the Northeast Corridor and the
transcontinental trains. In Illinois, services to Carbondale,
St Louis, Quincy, Moline, and Rockford/Dubuque are state funded.

In general, figuring out who pays for what between operating
costs and capital costs for Amtrak is complicated.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote in
:

Although I could walk to NOLA almost as fast, might have to do the
Sunset Limited one more time, though it wasn't Amtrak the last time I
rode it ... that's how long it's been.

Love watching trains go over the Huey P Long bridge (either
of them). Hate driving over the Huey P Long bridge (either
of them).

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/19/2015 11:14 AM, John McCoy wrote:
Swingman wrote in
:

Although I could walk to NOLA almost as fast, might have to do the
Sunset Limited one more time, though it wasn't Amtrak the last time I
rode it ... that's how long it's been.

Love watching trains go over the Huey P Long bridge (either
of them). Hate driving over the Huey P Long bridge (either
of them).

John

There are a couple of bridges that have a driving service for people
that will not do it themselves. I did drive this in the rain the first
trip and the metal grates when wet keep you slowed a bit.

http://tinyurl.com/o3h92fq
or
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...uttle-car.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in
:

In article ,
says...

There are a couple of bridges that have a driving service for people
that will not do it themselves. I did drive this in the rain the
first trip and the metal grates when wet keep you slowed a bit.

http://tinyurl.com/o3h92fq

What a weird looking bridge. It looks like the designer
purposefully tried to use as many different styles of bridge
(two designs of suspension, two types of truss, etc) as he
could in one crossing.

the only road that tops it for boredom is the
Pontchartrain Causeway.

I nominate I-70 across Kansas as tops for boredom.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

"John McCoy" wrote:

I nominate I-70 across Kansas as tops for boredom.

What you don't find rolling irrigation systems with Milo growing
in the corners of the fields that don't get watered interesting
along with at least one pizza manufacturing plant?g

Drive across Texas on a line from Austin thru San Angelo.

If you look North you have miles and miles of miles and miles
with an occasional building.

If you look South you have miles and miles of miles and miles.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

John McCoy wrote in
:

I nominate I-70 across Kansas as tops for boredom.

John

US40, which runs just under I70 is worse. "Fastest way to Colorado
Springs" said the sign. It also should have said "Most boring road in
America."

Puckdropper

--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:55ac5511$0$29437
:

Drive across Texas on a line from Austin thru San Angelo.

BTDT. It's actually quite pretty until you get to Llano,
going thru the hills. More boring once it gets flat,
altho the occasional ostrich farm or other oddity
provides a little of interest.

Some day I'd like to find out why Goodyear put their
test track in San Angelo.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in news:55ac8ecf$0$18631
:

US40, which runs just under I70 is worse. "Fastest way to Colorado
Springs" said the sign. It also should have said "Most boring road in
America."

Now see, I don't think a US numbered route is ever as boring
as the parallel interstate. You go thru little towns, maybe
there's a railroad running parallel, stuff to make you wonder
why people went there, and why a highway was built.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 07/20/2015 1:18 PM, John McCoy wrote:
"Lew wrote in news:55ac5511$0$29437
:

Drive across Texas on a line from Austin thru San Angelo.

BTDT. It's actually quite pretty until you get to Llano,
going thru the hills. More boring once it gets flat,
altho the occasional ostrich farm or other oddity
provides a little of interest.

Heck, there's a lot of stuff in that part of Texas...try Lubbock to
Midland/Odessa...

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 07/20/2015 1:28 PM, John McCoy wrote:
Puckdropperpuckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in news:55ac8ecf$0$18631
:

US40, which runs just under I70 is worse. "Fastest way to Colorado
Springs" said the sign. It also should have said "Most boring road in
America."

Now see, I don't think a US numbered route is ever as boring
as the parallel interstate. You go thru little towns, maybe
there's a railroad running parallel, stuff to make you wonder
why people went there, and why a highway was built.

40 isn't really boring at all; it _is_ quickest way from the east if are
than far north to get to a (distant) view of Pikes Peak and the
mountains; there's virtually always antelope and all for entertainment
and, best of all, not too much traffic to be in the way...it helps, of
course, if one does really _look_ at things other than the majestic, but
I find that true of virtually all who aren't from the High Plains or
similar areas--they just don't recognize there _is_ something if it
doesn't slap 'em up the side the head.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John McCoy" wrote:

Some day I'd like to find out why Goodyear put their
test track in San Angelo.

Don't know either but you are in the heart of rattlesnake country.

You learn in a hurry why cowboy boots exist.

The 8 mile track was just sort of cut thru the brush.

Driving an 18 wheeler around that track at 55 MPH for a couple
of hours at a stretch gets a little boring.

The drivers put up a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood on the wall along
with a hammer and a box of 16d nails in the office shanty.

As the day would heat up, the rattlesnakes would come out of
the brush and crawl out onto the asphalt to sun themselves.

For a little diversion, the drivers would run over a sun bathing
snake, stop the truck, get out and cut off the rattle, and return
to driving the truck until break when he would nail the rattle
up on the plywood.

The were on the 2nd sheet of plywood when I was there.

Getting an armadillo was a whole different game.

The object was to pop his shell.

Driving from town to the test track at 80+ MPH at about
6:00 AM creates a whole new opportunity.

The tarantulas are out on the blacktop at that time.

A quick left-right-center of the steering wheel would cause
a double wide tire track and improve your chances of squishing
a tarantula.

Boredom can sure get the creative juices flowing.

Lew

Train wreck . . . Robert Swinney Metalworking 47 March 19th 10 11:38 PM
Train wreck . . . Robert Swinney Metalworking 4 March 12th 10 07:44 PM
Train trip -- Midwest floods Ignoramus27906 Metalworking 4 August 11th 08 08:40 PM
TRAIN J T Woodworking 0 November 12th 07 10:07 AM
TOY TRAIN J T Woodworking 0 January 16th 06 05:48 PM