Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How Do I Cut Perfect Mitres 22.5 Degrees

replying to In The Trenches, Jay A. wrote:
no wrote:

I'm making a table top about 34"X22" out of two pieces of MDF light
laminated together. It's going to be a bistro table 38-42" tall. I've done

2" corner cut on all four corners so nobody breaks a rib when they
accidentally walk into the thing. I'm using 3/4"X 2-3/4" cherry as an

edging
border and then I'm going to laminate the top with a nice bamboo patterned
Formica over the edging and chamfer it back once the top dries to expose

the
cherry. My problem is, how do I cut the 1X3 cherry to perfect 22.5 degrees?
What's the secret? I have a Delta QT-10 table saw and I set it to "around"
22.5 but invariably I get 22.1 or 22.7, my mitres are too opened or too
closed! I need some fine tuning here. Any advice? Also while I'm here is it
OK to use contact cement for the laminate glue if I'm planning on

chamfering
the edge or can I use yellow carpenter's glue? Thx.

I would start by tuning up your miter saw at 90 degrees. Make a cut on the
widest board that the saw will crosscut, flip it over and see how close
the second cut is to the first then adjust. You should have a cut off
piece that is a constant width and thin as paper. Swing the saw to 22.5
and you will be good.
Jay A.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 11:44:04 PM UTC-4, Jay A. wrote:

I would start by tuning up your miter saw at 90 degrees.

I would start by realizing that the original thread is from 2004.

Table saw mitres Peetie Wheatstraw Woodworking 12 December 13th 11 04:41 AM
The Serta Perfect Sleeper Mattress - Is It So Perfect? luvepiggy Home Repair 0 May 6th 08 09:23 AM
Masons Mitres is it possible? Derek Doormer UK diy 5 December 10th 04 08:43 PM
Long Mitres Stuart Langer Woodworking 2 December 14th 03 02:50 PM
Cutting Mitres Michael McNeil UK diy 8 July 21st 03 07:23 PM