Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Default Cordless drill clutch settings?

I need more torque before the clutch slips. Will the upgrade from a DeWalt
DCD790 to a DCD990 provide more torque on the highest clutch setting?

http://www.dewalt.com/tools/cordless...-dcd790d2.aspx

http://www.dewalt.com/tools/cordless...-dcd990m2.aspx

I will ask around.

Thanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Apparently I found the answer in reviews of the product.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

John Doe wrote in news:mo7ct1$vg$2@dont-
email.me:

Apparently I found the answer in reviews of the product.

What was the answer?

I occasionally have the same problem as someone else, and if they post the
solution sometimes it helps me solve my problem.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 2:11:03 AM UTC-5, Puckdropper at dot wrote:
John Doe
Apparently I found the answer in reviews of the product.

What was the answer?

I occasionally have the same problem as someone else, and if they post the
solution sometimes it helps me solve my problem.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

I read all the reviews of all 6 drills - http://www.dewalt.com/tool-categorie...er-drills.aspx

I didn't see any mention of torque, torque adjustment, etc. Must have found the answer on some other website's reviews.

Seems this group of drills have a problem, to some extent, with stock chucks, i.e., wobble and/or breaking off, as per the reviews on the above site. Seems Dewalt will replace a wobbling/broken chuck with a different one, i..e., not the same as the stock chuck.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

The drill I referred to is not a hammer drill. The reviews I referred to
are from Amazon.

Sonny wrote in news:d5ee6d44-7c52-4ba2-a24c-
:

On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 2:11:03 AM UTC-5, Puckdropper at dot

wrote:
John Doe
Apparently I found the answer in reviews of the product.

What was the answer?

I occasionally have the same problem as someone else, and if they post

th
solution sometimes it helps me solve my problem.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

I read all the reviews of all 6 drills -
http://www.dewalt.com/tool-
categories/xr-system-drills--hammer-drills.aspx

I didn't see any mention of torque, torque adjustment, etc. Must have

found the answer on some other website's reviews.

Seems this group of drills have a problem, to some extent, with stock

chucks, i.e., wobble and/or breaking off, as per the reviews on the above
site. Seems Dewalt will replace a wobbling/broken chuck with a different
one, i.e., not the same as the stock chuck.

Sonny

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

I occasionally have the same problem as someone else, and if they post
the solution sometimes it helps me solve my problem.

Apparently the more powerful version of the drill mentioned has a lot
more torque at the (same) highest clutch setting.

My own personal interest in the question subsided because the upgrade
became a no-brainer when I learned that while using the electronic
clutch the drill ramps up to speed (soft start).

I wrote:

I need more torque before the clutch slips. Will the upgrade from a
DeWalt DCD790 to a DCD990 provide more torque on the highest clutch
setting?

http://www.dewalt.com/tools/cordless...-dcd790d2.aspx

http://www.dewalt.com/tools/cordless...-dcd990m2.aspx

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

In article , er
says...

I need more torque before the clutch slips. Will the upgrade from a DeWalt
DCD790 to a DCD990 provide more torque on the highest clutch setting?

http://www.dewalt.com/tools/cordless...-dcd790d2.aspx

http://www.dewalt.com/tools/cordless...-dcd990m2.aspx

I will ask around.

Thanks.

What are you doing that needs more torque before the clutch slips?

The purpose of the clutch is to let you set fasteners precisely--if
you're dealing with something that needs more torque than the highest
setting on a hammer drill then it's not that delicate to begin with.

You might want to look into an impact driver instead.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

Typically you don't drill in a clutch setting. That is pretty much
pointless.

I've taken to drilling in the highest clutch setting for most holes. If
the drill bit catches, the drill won't try to twist my hand off. When I
need a the extra to get through the hole, it's a simple click over to drill
mode.

FWIW, most the holes I drill are less than 1/4".

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On 18 Jul 2015 07:44:14 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
m:

Typically you don't drill in a clutch setting. That is pretty much
pointless.

I've taken to drilling in the highest clutch setting for most holes. If
the drill bit catches, the drill won't try to twist my hand off. When I
need a the extra to get through the hole, it's a simple click over to drill
mode.

FWIW, most the holes I drill are less than 1/4".

Wow! A 1/4" drill bit is going to twist your hand off? What are you
drilling?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

On 7/16/2015 7:24 PM, John McCoy wrote:

That would be my thought as well. Or, if you're drilling and
the clutch is slipping, that probably means you're using too
big of a bit, and need to move to a corded drill.

Typically you don't drill in a clutch setting. That is pretty much
pointless.

Yeah, I was just trying to think of what else you might do with
a cordless drill that would need more torque. It didn't occur
to me he'd be using it as a motor for some other device.

FWIW, I leave my cordless drills in the locked position always.
If I need to put a screw in with care, I do it by hand.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 14:35:44 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy
wrote:

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
m:

On 7/16/2015 7:24 PM, John McCoy wrote:

That would be my thought as well. Or, if you're drilling and
the clutch is slipping, that probably means you're using too
big of a bit, and need to move to a corded drill.

Typically you don't drill in a clutch setting. That is pretty much
pointless.

Yeah, I was just trying to think of what else you might do with
a cordless drill that would need more torque. It didn't occur
to me he'd be using it as a motor for some other device.

FWIW, I leave my cordless drills in the locked position always.
If I need to put a screw in with care, I do it by hand.

+1 (or use an impact driver)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

I saw a plumber on TV using a hand drill to saw a 4" hole
through the floor for a pipe access. That 4" hole cutter will
twist your elbow a bit if you have only the pistol grip working.

Martin

On 7/18/2015 9:35 AM, John McCoy wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

On 7/16/2015 7:24 PM, John McCoy wrote:

That would be my thought as well. Or, if you're drilling and
the clutch is slipping, that probably means you're using too
big of a bit, and need to move to a corded drill.

Typically you don't drill in a clutch setting. That is pretty much
pointless.

Yeah, I was just trying to think of what else you might do with
a cordless drill that would need more torque. It didn't occur
to me he'd be using it as a motor for some other device.

FWIW, I leave my cordless drills in the locked position always.
If I need to put a screw in with care, I do it by hand.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

John McCoy wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

On 7/16/2015 7:24 PM, John McCoy wrote:

That would be my thought as well. Or, if you're drilling and
the clutch is slipping, that probably means you're using too
big of a bit, and need to move to a corded drill.

Typically you don't drill in a clutch setting. That is pretty much
pointless.

Yeah, I was just trying to think of what else you might do with
a cordless drill that would need more torque. It didn't occur
to me he'd be using it as a motor for some other device.

FWIW, I leave my cordless drills in the locked position always.
If I need to put a screw in with care, I do it by hand.

John

A decent drill will put a screw in with care. The clutch settings on most
cordless drills are a PIA to use to begin with.