Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cordless drill clutch settings?

On Friday, July 17, 2015 at 10:03:34 AM UTC-7, John Doe wrote:
Ed Huntress wrote:

John Doe wrote:

Having a clutch is useful because it helps prevent damage to the drill
and the bicycle. If the clutch were being used as a push stick for
inline skating (my previous implementation, a right angle drill with
no clutch), it probably wouldn't require as much stiffness.

Having a soft start like on the more powerful version of the same
drill should be very useful if it's like the soft start on my Bosch
right angle drill.

Also potentially useful would have been to disable the one-way bearing
where the spindle enters the gearbox. There are some rollers that can
be removed. But I forgot to do that before fixing the drill in place.
So finding out what that does will have to wait for the next build.

I would have thought you'd just pedal-start and then engage the motor.
I realize it's a different thing, but I rode a Solex moped for a year
around Lausanne, Switzerland when I was a student there, and it was
pedal-start. Very simple: no clutch, no starter cord, and it worked
great.

What I design is simple as possible because I have to build it (with
hand tools). Having 90% of the gadgetry already provided in the cordless
drill is wonderful. On my electric bike, there are no pedals. I just
stuck the cordless drill on the bottom bracket, like this one but done
better...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtmSXgjXXB8

The most difficult task is building the structure that holds the drill
to the bottom bracket. The location of the drill makes it easy to
operate the trigger by foot. And eventually you must add foot pegs...

The most difficult task is trying to think logically when you have a pool cue shoved up your ass.