Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Delta Table Saw Wrenches

Hello,

My brother-in-law purchased an older Delta Table saw....nice one. Burned
out motor, and replaced it.
Almost just like new. Only thing he does not have the wrenches with it, and
figure the owner never changed the blade and thus
the motor got too hot ripping and burned out.
Anyway, where can he get the original wrenches?
He is modify some wrenches, and I was curious if he could just find some.
Thank You
john

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 2 May 2015 07:58:45 -0700, "jloomis"
wrote:

Hello,

My brother-in-law purchased an older Delta Table saw....nice one. Burned
out motor, and replaced it.
Almost just like new. Only thing he does not have the wrenches with it, and
figure the owner never changed the blade and thus
the motor got too hot ripping and burned out.
Anyway, where can he get the original wrenches?
He is modify some wrenches, and I was curious if he could just find some.
Thank You
john

A 7/8 wrench and a piece of wood works.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, May 2, 2015 at 9:59:21 AM UTC-5, jloomis wrote:
Hello,

My brother-in-law purchased an older Delta Table saw....nice one.

http://www.mikestools.com/parts_2161.aspx

Otherwise, search this site for the specific model.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 02 May 2015 07:58:45 -0700, jloomis wrote:

Almost just like new. Only thing he does not have the wrenches with it,
and figure the owner never changed the blade and thus the motor got too
hot ripping and burned out.
Anyway, where can he get the original wrenches?

I've got a 1948 Delta and just use an adjustable wrench and a piece of
wood. You shouldn't need a special wrench.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 05/02/2015 9:58 AM, jloomis wrote:
Hello,

My brother-in-law purchased an older Delta Table saw....nice one. Burned
out motor, and replaced it.
Almost just like new. Only thing he does not have the wrenches with it,
and figure the owner never changed the blade and thus
the motor got too hot ripping and burned out.
Anyway, where can he get the original wrenches?
He is modify some wrenches, and I was curious if he could just find some.

Not sure which were shipped with them; if it isn't a Unisaw but one of
the contractors saws they were probably just stamped sheet (1/8"
roughly) steel anyway.

The Powermatic Model 66 came with a cast iron hex wrench that's pretty
nice; as said not sure what the Unisaurs came with; never had one.

A nice box end w/o a large offset would probably suit well altho just a
regular combination will suffice.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Hello,

My brother-in-law purchased an older Delta Table saw....nice one. Burned
out motor, and replaced it.
Almost just like new. Only thing he does not have the wrenches with it, and
figure the owner never changed the blade and thus
the motor got too hot ripping and burned out.
Anyway, where can he get the original wrenches?
He is modify some wrenches, and I was curious if he could just find some.
Thank You
john

A 7/8 wrench and a piece of wood works.

But not nearly as well as two wrenches, Especially when using stacked
dado blades.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/2/2015 9:58 AM, jloomis wrote:
Hello,

My brother-in-law purchased an older Delta Table saw....nice one.
Burned out motor, and replaced it.
Almost just like new. Only thing he does not have the wrenches with it,
and figure the owner never changed the blade and thus
the motor got too hot ripping and burned out.
Anyway, where can he get the original wrenches?
He is modify some wrenches, and I was curious if he could just find some.
Thank You
john

Look here
http://www.ereplacementparts.com/sea...e+saw+wrenches
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, May 2, 2015 at 7:59:21 AM UTC-7, jloomis wrote:
Hello,

My brother-in-law purchased an older Delta Table saw....nice one. Burned
out motor, and replaced it.
Almost just like new. Only thing he does not have the wrenches with it, and
figure the owner never changed the blade and thus
the motor got too hot ripping and burned out.
Anyway, where can he get the original wrenches?

Well, the wrench has to be longer than the blade radius... so you could
cut a wrench shape into the dead blade, and use that. I've done it.
Lotsa sparks from the pneumatic grinder, might want to do it
outdoors.
Posted to rec.woodworking

My early 1990s Delta Contractor saw uses a wrench made from flat steel. About 1/8" thick. Has a 7/8" nut opening on one end and a 1" nut opening on the other end. Not sure why they put two sizes on the wrench. About 9.75" long so easily reaches to the center of a 10" saw blade where the mounting nut is located. The wrench is stamped or cut out of 1/8" thick steel. A regular Craftsman wrench would be just as nice or nicer. The nut holding the blade on is one size. So you only need one wrench to change the blade. You don't need an adjustable wrench because there is only one nut to loosen or tighten and its size does not change.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"jloomis" wrote in
:

Hello,

My brother-in-law purchased an older Delta Table saw....nice one.
Burned out motor, and replaced it.
Almost just like new. Only thing he does not have the wrenches with
it, and figure the owner never changed the blade and thus
the motor got too hot ripping and burned out.
Anyway, where can he get the original wrenches?

Well, I'd start with the original manufacturer:

http://www.deltamachineryparts.com/

Altho that might not be the cheapest solution.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

jloomis wrote:
Hello,

My brother-in-law purchased an older Delta Table saw....nice one. Burned
out motor, and replaced it.
Almost just like new. Only thing he does not have the wrenches with
it, and figure the owner never changed the blade and thus
the motor got too hot ripping and burned out.
Anyway, where can he get the original wrenches?
He is modify some wrenches, and I was curious if he could just find
some. Thank You
john

You're a handy guy John - don't forget the option of just going to a local
machine shop and having a pair made from flat stock. I'd believe something
like that to be cheap enough, and you have to option to have the made the
way you want them - perhaps with a longer handle, or the likes.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Hello,

My brother-in-law purchased an older Delta Table saw....nice one. Burned
out motor, and replaced it.
Almost just like new. Only thing he does not have the wrenches with it, and
figure the owner never changed the blade and thus
the motor got too hot ripping and burned out.
Anyway, where can he get the original wrenches?
He is modify some wrenches, and I was curious if he could just find some.
Thank You
john

A 7/8 wrench and a piece of wood works.

But not nearly as well as two wrenches, Especially when using stacked
dado blades.

True I have a modified bandsaw blade my father made for the inside
fitting. The bandsaw was huge, Case used it for sawing demo cut aways.
Mark
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Hello,

My brother-in-law purchased an older Delta Table saw....nice one. Burned
out motor, and replaced it.
Almost just like new. Only thing he does not have the wrenches with it, and
figure the owner never changed the blade and thus
the motor got too hot ripping and burned out.
Anyway, where can he get the original wrenches?
He is modify some wrenches, and I was curious if he could just find some.
Thank You
john

A 7/8 wrench and a piece of wood works.

But not nearly as well as two wrenches, Especially when using stacked
dado blades.

True I have a modified bandsaw blade my father made for the inside
fitting. The bandsaw was huge, Case used it for sawing demo cut aways.
Mark

For those that don't have a modified BS blade, ;!), consider an
inexpensive wrench for the arbor flange side of the blade. It will most
likely require a thin wrench but less expensive wrenches can easily be
ground down to fit, using a grinder. I needed a "thin" wrench to
replace a KitchenAid blender drive sprocket. I bought a Northern Tool
wrench and ground it down for that one specific purpose.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I have a thinned out wrench like that, but I have forgotten what I
made it to fit.

--
GW Ross

If I repent anything, it is likely to
be my good behavior. - Thoreau

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/3/2015 11:40 AM, Leon wrote:

For those that don't have a modified BS blade, ;!), consider an
inexpensive wrench for the arbor flange side of the blade. It will most
likely require a thin wrench but less expensive wrenches can easily be
ground down to fit, using a grinder. I needed a "thin" wrench to
replace a KitchenAid blender drive sprocket. I bought a Northern Tool
wrench and ground it down for that one specific purpose.

You can buy thin wrenches, that's what I'd do if something happened to
my table saw wrench. Sears sells them, and I think if you dags you'll
find a lot of them. Would be pretty simple to put a slight bend in the
wrench if your saw needs a bent thin wrench, as mine does. Sears sells
a 1/2" one for under $10 for example.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

If you can't find the Delta stamped sheet metal ones,
look around for "tappet" wrenches.

Should be available as double open end or maybe
even combination wrenches.

(Open end with closed end on opposite end).

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Get someone with a CNC machine and laser or plasma and ask them
to cut out your design. Draw it out on a paper - 100% scale or other -
but state the other.

Martin