Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How to affix a template

I need to rout a pattern on some 3/4 plywood. I've cut a 3/4 ply template on my BS and need to affix it the part that's being routed. I'm thinking about a couple of dabs of CA glue. That ought to hold it for the routing and should be relatively easy to knock off when done, oui? I could also shoot a couple of finishing nails in and fill later. Thoughts?

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramps' shop" wrote in
:

I need to rout a pattern on some 3/4 plywood. I've cut a 3/4 ply
template on my BS and need to affix it the part that's being routed.
I'm thinking about a couple of dabs of CA glue. That ought to hold it
for the routing and should be relatively easy to knock off when done,
oui? I could also shoot a couple of finishing nails in and fill
later. Thoughts?

Double sided carpet tape?

If there's an area that will later be hidden or removed,
the nails, or perhaps better screws, would be most secure.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

Gramps' shop wrote:
I need to rout a pattern on some 3/4 plywood. I've cut a 3/4 ply
template on my BS and need to affix it the part that's being routed.
I'm thinking about a couple of dabs of CA glue. That ought to hold
it for the routing and should be relatively easy to knock off when
done, oui? I could also shoot a couple of finishing nails in and
fill later. Thoughts?

Larry

I use carpet tape, as John suggested. Note: the tape I use is a thin film,
not foam; it is white, maybe two inches wide...3 or 4 pieces 3/4" are
plenty in most cases, even when routing from a template, as long as the
template/work surfaces are flat & smooth.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Check it out... http://www.floridaloghouse.net.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/24/2015 12:43 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
I need to rout a pattern on some 3/4 plywood. I've cut a 3/4 ply template on my BS and need to affix it the part that's being routed. I'm thinking about a couple of dabs of CA glue. That ought to hold it for the routing and should be relatively easy to knock off when done, oui? I could also shoot a couple of finishing nails in and fill later. Thoughts?

Rally depends upon the shape and complexity.

In critical projects, where material is at a premium, I always shy away
from double-sided tape and hot melt glue alone, and try to incorporate
some type of mechanical fastener as well (screws, where any holes will
be hidden; toggle clamps, etc.), similar to the following.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...93470085447266

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...69020206490178

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/24/15 12:43 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
I need to rout a pattern on some 3/4 plywood. I've cut a 3/4 ply
template on my BS and need to affix it the part that's being routed.
I'm thinking about a couple of dabs of CA glue. That ought to hold
it for the routing and should be relatively easy to knock off when
done, oui? I could also shoot a couple of finishing nails in and
fill later. Thoughts?

Larry

I use carpet tape with great success.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 24 Mar 2015 10:43:03 -0700 (PDT), "Gramps' shop"
wrote:

I need to rout a pattern on some 3/4 plywood. I've cut a 3/4 ply template on my BS and need to affix it the part that's being routed. I'm thinking about a couple of dabs of CA glue. That ought to hold it for the routing and should be relatively easy to knock off when done, oui? I could also shoot a couple of finishing nails in and fill later. Thoughts?

Larry

Double sided tape is an option too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/24/2015 1:43 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
I need to rout a pattern on some 3/4 plywood. I've cut a 3/4 ply template on my BS and need to affix it the part that's being routed. I'm thinking about a couple of dabs of CA glue. That ought to hold it for the routing and should be relatively easy to knock off when done, oui? I could also shoot a couple of finishing nails in and fill later. Thoughts?

Larry

This worked very nicely for me. Secure, safe, and no adhesive to remove:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguar...1490/lightbox/

My template was on mdf.

Those are Harbor Freight toggle clamps. I have no experience with any
other brand, but I can detect no obvious flimsiness about them, cheap as
they were.

Hey, there's even a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnU1bJEV9yk

I took some grief here, likely deservedly, for not roughing out the
shape before routing. But the jig worked very nicely.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/24/2015 12:43 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
I need to rout a pattern on some 3/4 plywood. I've cut a 3/4 ply template on my BS and need to affix it the part that's being routed. I'm thinking about a couple of dabs of CA glue. That ought to hold it for the routing and should be relatively easy to knock off when done, oui? I could also shoot a couple of finishing nails in and fill later. Thoughts?

Larry

One more. ;!)

I has to create 12 identical arms. I first cut off the excess with my
BS and then I clamped an MDF template on top of each. I then used a top
bearing 1/2" diameter flush cut bit to cut about 3/16" deep with my trim
router. This provided a smooth ledge for the bigger 1/125" diameter
bottom bearing bit mounted in my router table to follow.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/16731993750/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 12:43:05 PM UTC-5, Gramps' shop wrote:
I need to rout a pattern on some 3/4 plywood. I've cut a 3/4 ply template on my BS and need to affix it the part that's being routed. I'm thinking about a couple of dabs of CA glue. That ought to hold it for the routing and should be relatively easy to knock off when done, oui? I could also shoot a couple of finishing nails in and fill later. Thoughts?

Larry

Thanks, guys. I elected to use screws as I can easily fill the holes in the piece and they are going to be covered with black latex paint.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/24/2015 1:43 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
I need to rout a pattern on some 3/4 plywood. I've cut a 3/4 ply template on my BS and need to affix it the part that's being routed. I'm thinking about a couple of dabs of CA glue. That ought to hold it for the routing and should be relatively easy to knock off when done, oui? I could also shoot a couple of finishing nails in and fill later. Thoughts?

Larry

double stick carpet tape.
get the good stuff.
I usually control the amount of stick by using my tshirt to block some
of the tackiness. You just touch the tape if it is too tacky to your
tshirt and it usually knocks it down a little.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/24/2015 4:57 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

You just wanted to show off the Festool clamps. And dust collector. Is
that a Festool *bike* in the corner of the photo? Hell, even the MDF
looks greenish.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/25/2015 8:47 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 3/24/2015 4:57 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

LOL, Guilty.
Actually the mike is an Electra, my wife's.
The green MDF is water resistant, a scrap.
The work bench is, however, Festool. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/24/15, 4:53 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 3/24/2015 1:43 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
I need to rout a pattern on some 3/4 plywood. I've cut a 3/4 ply
template on my BS and need to affix it the part that's being routed.
I'm thinking about a couple of dabs of CA glue. That ought to hold it
for the routing and should be relatively easy to knock off when done,
oui? I could also shoot a couple of finishing nails in and fill
later. Thoughts?

Larry

double stick carpet tape.
get the good stuff.
I usually control the amount of stick by using my tshirt to block some
of the tackiness. You just touch the tape if it is too tacky to your
tshirt and it usually knocks it down a little.

As stated, screws/clamps if you have the room and/or are a bit paranoid.

For my stuff, I've settled on DS tape. Not just any tape, for me it has
to be the 'film' style, not the mushy foam type or cloth type. I've gone
through dozens of rolls through the years and as typical, as soon as I
run out of one purchase lot, the store no longer carries the same stuff.
This forces me to try a new type, sometimes with better, sometimes with
worse results.

This is the stuff I'm currently using with great results:

http://www.amazon.com/9971-1-88-Inch...8MXFXWHSY2T 5

It sticks well, yet still can be pulled apart. Occasionally it will pull
some fibers from the template material,

I route with 1/4" hardboard templates on wood that has been sanded to at
least 120. Sometimes it is two pieces of wood taped together to make
duplicates when I don't have a template. Typically I'll use a 1"x1"
piece of tape on the corners and every few inches between.

-BR

Proper way to affix 6 pound sledge to hickory handle (metal & woodwedge in slot)? arkland Home Repair 35 July 26th 11 12:41 AM
Dovetail template Max Woodworking 1 February 19th 08 07:41 PM
Using a Router and MDF template [email protected] UK diy 7 November 7th 06 07:09 PM
Template Bandsawing Jay Pique Woodworking 8 August 22nd 04 10:21 PM
Can I affix 2mm bamboo herringbone 'plywood' directly to joists? Dolchas Home Repair 0 September 2nd 03 09:39 PM