Posted to rec.woodworking

Default WAY O.T. Horse racing payouts

You've dealt with stranger questions.

Assuming 3 or more horses.

The winning horse has win, place, and show (separate) bets

The Place horse has place and show (separate) bets

The show horse has (separate) show bets

The 3 pools (win, place, and show) have 1200.00 each

Now for the question:

The winning pool gets split up all people who bet on the winning horse.
The place pool 1200.00 gets split up how? Is it split evenly between the
place winners and the win horse with place bets?
Show pool 1200.00 gets split up how? thirds? Half for show and a quarter for
win and a quarter for place?

The question is being debated over a para-mutual golf tourny.

No, I have no money on the outcome, only curiosity.

Ed

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Ahern wrote:
You've dealt with stranger questions.

Assuming 3 or more horses.

The winning horse has win, place, and show (separate) bets

The Place horse has place and show (separate) bets

The show horse has (separate) show bets

The 3 pools (win, place, and show) have 1200.00 each

Now for the question:

The winning pool gets split up all people who bet on the winning horse.
The place pool 1200.00 gets split up how? Is it split evenly between
the place winners and the win horse with place bets?

Yes, after the "house" taxes out of about 17% are subtracted. So if
$100 was bet on horse number 1, and $200 was bet on horse number 2, and
horse number 1 and 2 come in first and second, then the $1200 place pool
less 17% (the house profit), $996, is divided in half, so that $448 goes
to the folks who bet on horse #1, $448 goes to the folks who bet on
horse #2. $2P bet on horse number 1 is worth about $9. $2P bet on
horse number 2 is worth about $4.50. "Show" works the same (thirds).
I am not in the industry, all of this is "to the best of my knowledge".

Show pool 1200.00 gets split up how? thirds? Half for show and a
quarter for win and a quarter for place?

The question is being debated over a para-mutual golf tourny.

No, I have no money on the outcome, only curiosity.

Ed

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Ed Ahern wrote:
You've dealt with stranger questions.

Assuming 3 or more horses.

The winning horse has win, place, and show (separate) bets

The Place horse has place and show (separate) bets

The show horse has (separate) show bets

The 3 pools (win, place, and show) have 1200.00 each

Now for the question:

The winning pool gets split up all people who bet on the winning horse.
The place pool 1200.00 gets split up how? Is it split evenly between
the place winners and the win horse with place bets?

Yes, after the "house" taxes out of about 17% are subtracted. So if
$100 was bet on horse number 1, and $200 was bet on horse number 2,
and horse number 1 and 2 come in first and second, then the $1200
place pool less 17% (the house profit), $996, is divided in half,

I made an error here. I should have subtracted the $300 bet from the
$996, leaving say 700, and divided it in half. $350 to horse #1 bettors
and $350 to horse #2 bettors.
So $2P on number 1 pays (1 + 3.50) : 1 or $9.00. $2P on number 2 pay
(1+1.75):1 or $5.50.
I think I've got it right this time. Sorry.

For Show, tax the show pool, subtract the money bet on the 3 horses
showing, divide it in thirds, and return it as above. Easy as pie, no?

so that $448 goes to the folks who bet on horse #1, $448 goes to the
folks who bet on horse #2. $2P bet on horse number 1 is worth about
$9. $2P bet on horse number 2 is worth about $4.50. "Show" works the
same (thirds). I am not in the industry, all of this is "to the best
of my knowledge".

Show pool 1200.00 gets split up how? thirds? Half for show and a
quarter for win and a quarter for place?

The question is being debated over a para-mutual golf tourny.

No, I have no money on the outcome, only curiosity.

Ed

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 22 Mar 2015 15:50:28 -0400, "Ed Ahern"
wrote:

You've dealt with stranger questions.

Assuming 3 or more horses.

The winning horse has win, place, and show (separate) bets

The Place horse has place and show (separate) bets

The show horse has (separate) show bets

The 3 pools (win, place, and show) have 1200.00 each

Now for the question:

The winning pool gets split up all people who bet on the winning horse.
The place pool 1200.00 gets split up how? Is it split evenly between the
place winners and the win horse with place bets?

Yes. All place bettors are paid equally.

Show pool 1200.00 gets split up how? thirds? Half for show and a quarter for
win and a quarter for place?

Yes. Same deal.

The question is being debated over a para-mutual golf tourny.

No, I have no money on the outcome, only curiosity.

Parimutuel means there is a pool that is equally shared between all of
the winners.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote in
:

I made an error here. I should have subtracted the $300 bet from the
$996, leaving say 700, and divided it in half. $350 to horse #1 bettors
and $350 to horse #2 bettors.
So $2P on number 1 pays (1 + 3.50) : 1 or $9.00. $2P on number 2 pay
(1+1.75):1 or $5.50.
I think I've got it right this time. Sorry.

For Show, tax the show pool, subtract the money bet on the 3 horses
showing, divide it in thirds, and return it as above. Easy as pie, no?

OK, that was interesting and worth learning. Never know
when that'll come in useful.

I presume the tracks do that calculation "real time" before
the race, and that's why the odds change as people bet.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

John McCoy wrote:
Bill wrote in
:

I made an error here. I should have subtracted the $300 bet from the
$996, leaving say 700, and divided it in half. $350 to horse #1 bettors
and $350 to horse #2 bettors.
So $2P on number 1 pays (1 + 3.50) : 1 or $9.00. $2P on number 2 pay
(1+1.75):1 or $5.50.
I think I've got it right this time. Sorry.

For Show, tax the show pool, subtract the money bet on the 3 horses
showing, divide it in thirds, and return it as above. Easy as pie, no?

OK, that was interesting and worth learning. Never know
when that'll come in useful.

The calculations show that if your horse comes in place as
desired, then the amount can change substantially depending on the other
horse that placed. This can lead to some interesting betting
opportunities...so you should watch the tote-board before putting down
your hard-earned $2, and estimate your expected payoff to help consider
whether a bet is worthwhile. Of course, with a 17% rake (higher on the
perfecta, trifecta, etc.), I don't think it's hardly ever worthwhile.

I presume the tracks do that calculation "real time" before
the race, and that's why the odds change as people bet.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 22 Mar 2015 23:31:09 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy
wrote:

Bill wrote in
:

I made an error here. I should have subtracted the $300 bet from the
$996, leaving say 700, and divided it in half. $350 to horse #1 bettors
and $350 to horse #2 bettors.
So $2P on number 1 pays (1 + 3.50) : 1 or $9.00. $2P on number 2 pay
(1+1.75):1 or $5.50.
I think I've got it right this time. Sorry.

For Show, tax the show pool, subtract the money bet on the 3 horses
showing, divide it in thirds, and return it as above. Easy as pie, no?

OK, that was interesting and worth learning. Never know
when that'll come in useful.

I presume the tracks do that calculation "real time" before
the race, and that's why the odds change as people bet.

Exactly. That's why you may see different odds with different
bookies, too. ;-) However, if one gets too lopsided (so his odds are
too far out of line with others), they'll lay bets off to another
bookie to even things out. Like the tracks they're not betting, just
holding the money (and often taking less of a "vig" than the
government is).
Posted to rec.woodworking

Thank you all. I now understand

Ed

wrote in message ...

On Sun, 22 Mar 2015 23:31:09 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy
wrote:

Bill wrote in
:

[...]

O/T: IndyCar: A. J. Foyt Racing joins Ganassi Racing as Honda teams in 2012 Dave In Texas Woodworking 1 July 20th 11 08:09 PM
OT - I'm going drag racing Arthur2 UK diy 2 February 7th 09 11:34 AM
Horse power, horse hockey boorite Woodworking 15 September 22nd 06 03:41 PM
Powersaw Racing. Real Name Home Repair 0 October 19th 05 11:34 PM
racing cylinder material Haaken Hveem Metalworking 9 April 15th 05 03:35 PM