Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Lifting Casters

Does anyone know the name of lifting casters? I'm looking for casters
that lift a wooden box off the ground (50 lbs?), but ground themselves
when a little pressure or weight is applied to the box.

Thanks.
Posted to rec.woodworking

The only type casters that I know about to accomplish what you want are
made for woodworking machines or work bench mobile bases.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mobi...g&ved=0CDMQsAQ

On 3/15/2015 7:21 AM, wrote:

Does anyone know the name of lifting casters? I'm looking for casters
that lift a wooden box off the ground (50 lbs?), but ground themselves
when a little pressure or weight is applied to the box.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 13:17:42 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy
I think what you're looking for is called a "spring loaded caster".

According to the description, spring loaded casters are designed to
minimize shock so to protect the contents in the box.

What I'm looking for casters for a box that wil ground itself when
some weight is put on it. Without that added weight, the box will roll
freely when pushed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 07:43:45 -0500, DanG wrote:
https://www.google.com/search?q=mobi...g&ved=0CDMQsAQ

Thanks, not what I'm looking for. What I want is casters that will
hold something up so it can be pushed easily. Then when a little
weight is put on it, it will ground itself on the floor.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 08:10:41 -0500, Markem
Check for Library ladder hardware

Thanks, I'm looking for something similar, only it's casters designed,
for a box or crate. Under normal conditions, it's easy to push on the
wheels. Then when weight is put on the box or whatever, it grounds
itself and can't be pushed easily anymore.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message ...

Does anyone know the name of lifting casters? I'm looking for casters
that lift a wooden box off the ground (50 lbs?), but ground themselves
when a little pressure or weight is applied to the box.

Ladder casters...

e.g., http://www.castercity.com/specific-a...er-casters.htm

https://www.google.com/search?q=ladd...0CEcQsAQ&dpr=1

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message ...

Does anyone know the name of lifting casters? I'm looking for casters
that lift a wooden box off the ground (50 lbs?), but ground themselves
when a little pressure or weight is applied to the box.

Ladder casters...

e.g., http://www.castercity.com/specific-a...er-casters.htm

https://www.google.com/search?q=ladd...0CEcQsAQ&dpr=1

The problem as I see it is that OP wants a caster that will support a
50# box and yet settle to the floor and remain stationary when he places
slight amount of weight on it.

This "self stabilizing" is what going to cause him grief in his quest.
What's a manufacturer to do? Offer a whole range of casters by weight?
A number of them with an adjustable range? What's the demand likely to
be vs one that can be lowered and locked manually like those used on
woodworking machines as previously mentioned.

Far better, I think, would be for OP to design his own rig. What
immediately comes to mind is a set of casters, appropriate to the task,
mounted outboard on slightly extended arms with a fulcrum close to the
edge. The "Inner" arm would extend toward the center of the box and an
adjustable spring/turnbuckle arrangement would adjust the casters to the
weight of the box to the point where you could balance it and have it
settle to the floor with the addition of a little weight.

It would undoubtedly be clearer if I could post a drawing but you get
the idea

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message ...

[...]

The OP is also wheel chair bound, so to some degree that will limit his
ability to do certain tasks. I have never met him so I cannot comment
on how limited his mobility and motion are.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 11:32:53 -0400, FrozenNorth
The OP is also wheel chair bound, so to some degree that will limit his
ability to do certain tasks. I have never met him so I cannot comment
on how limited his mobility and motion are.

And further to that, I'm building a set of three steps about 20" high
that I can use to get my butt back onto my wheelchair when I fall on
the floor. The casters are for this step box ~ easy to pull around but
grounded when I climb up on it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 11:15:07 -0500, dpb wrote:
http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/spring-loaded-caster-self-locks-and-unlocks-without-lever-20012831

Good luck; admire your ambition/drive to keep doin' stuff despite the
difficulties.

Thanks to you and Ed. As to my ambition to do stuff, it's partially
aimed at not calling the fire department to pick me up and put me back
on my chair.

Lost the ability to do standing transfers about six months ago. The
first three months I fell on my butt four times. It wasn't difficult
to tell that they were getting upset at my calling for help.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/15/15 10:57 AM, wrote:
On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 11:32:53 -0400, FrozenNorth
The OP is also wheel chair bound, so to some degree that will limit
his ability to do certain tasks. I have never met him so I cannot
comment on how limited his mobility and motion are.

And further to that, I'm building a set of three steps about 20"
high that I can use to get my butt back onto my wheelchair when I
fall on the floor. The casters are for this step box ~ easy to pull
around but grounded when I climb up on it.

I think this is somewhat what you're going for, albeit less industrial.
http://goo.gl/WrqpRs

If you Google "rolling step stool" you'll a bunch of those designed for
the kitchen. I'm not sure of the casters could be used for what you're
making. But somewhere in between the kitchen and industrial ones has to
be a caster you could use on which you could swap out the springs to
work perfectly for your particular weight requirements.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 07:43:45 -0500, DanG wrote:
https://www.google.com/search?q=mobi...g&ved=0CDMQsAQ

Thanks, not what I'm looking for. What I want is casters that will
hold something up so it can be pushed easily. Then when a little
weight is put on it, it will ground itself on the floor.

Don't know if this would work for you but I have a setup on my drill press
that allows easy movement but grounding if I want it (turns out I never
bother grounding it). Set up...

1. A base for the casters

2. 2 - lumber pieces of appropriate size near the ends of the base and
hinged to it; the cross pieces need to be a bit greater than the caster
height in one cross section dimension, a bit less in the other

3. Attach a lever to one end of each cross piece. I used 3/4" ply, maybe 2"
x 12"

In use, when the cross piece is "up" (thin dimension horizontal to the
base),the casters touch the floor; when it is "down", the casters do not.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 11:47:16 -0500, -MIKE-
I think this is somewhat what you're going for, albeit less industrial.
http://goo.gl/WrqpRs

Thanks. I'll be building a carpeted, plywood stair to conform to the
size of my butt. I'll also be installing side handles to assist
lifting myself up the steps. When I get it built I'll put a .jpg of it
in ABPW.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message ...

On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 11:32:53 -0400, FrozenNorth
The OP is also wheel chair bound, so to some degree that will limit his
ability to do certain tasks. I have never met him so I cannot comment
on how limited his mobility and motion are.

And further to that, I'm building a set of three steps about 20" high
that I can use to get my butt back onto my wheelchair when I fall on
the floor. The casters are for this step box ~ easy to pull around but
grounded when I climb up on it.

The ladder casters I came across in my cursory search were available in
various weightings... some with 25 lb springs. If this is too strong of a
spring perhaps the spring loaded casters as used on walkers would work...
check a DME vendor for replacement casters.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 19:37:04 -0400, woodchucker
There are spring loaded for gates, spring for shock.. And spring for
what you are looking for. Look for the weight you want.
Each has a resting weight.

Yup. I'll have to wait until I build my step box and then figure out
how much it weighs.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 22:10:44 -0400, woodchucker
http://cotterman.com/documents/ST124.pdf
I would chose the aluminum over the steel.
Not cheap.

There is one made exactly for my purpose. It's called a Para Ladder.
http://www.paraladder.com/

I emailed the company, but didn't get a response. In any event, it
would be cheaper for me to build one suited to me. That means thick
shag rug on the steps, width to my specifications and deeper steps.

I figure it can do double duty as ladder onto my bed when my cat gets
too old to jump on the bed.

And, I'll be using this project as an excuse to by myself a Festool
Carvex jigsaw. Leon needs his commission.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, March 15, 2015 at 8:23:18 AM UTC-7, Unquestionably Confused wrote:

wrote in message ...

Does anyone know the name of lifting casters? I'm looking for casters
that lift a wooden box off the ground (50 lbs?), but ground themselves
when a little pressure or weight is applied to the box.

Ladder casters...

The problem as I see it is that OP wants a caster that will support a
50# box and yet settle to the floor and remain stationary when he places
slight amount of weight on it.

This "self stabilizing" is what going to cause him grief in his quest.
What's a manufacturer to do? Offer a whole range of casters by weight?

Well, one could easily adapt an auto 'air spring' adjustable suspension
strut to lower a couple of wheels. Or, just mount a suitable auto
helper spring/shock assembly with the right leverage on a pivoting
pair of wheels (next to fixed legs). It'll look like it came from a truck
undercarriage, of course. Strong design element!

any better rubber casters? Todd Home Repair 33 September 16th 14 07:25 PM
Do These Casters Come Apart? DerbyDad03 Home Repair 3 November 26th 13 12:09 AM
casters basilisk[_2_] Woodworking 7 April 20th 13 08:51 PM
casters for radial arm saw racing John Woodworking Plans and Photos 4 September 24th 09 06:37 PM
? about old galvanizing (casters) Grant Erwin Metalworking 8 November 28th 04 05:23 PM