Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Timber dogs

This is the first time I've seen this. I can't way to get some and try them out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehiS...em-subs_digest

Mike
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, March 11, 2015 at 11:33:57 PM UTC-5, Michael wrote:
This is the first time I've seen this. I can't way to get some and try them out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehiS...em-subs_digest

Mike

I bought a few, off Ebay. Seems, old original ones are not offered, that often, so I bought newer, repro ones.... 6" & 8" ones. I hadn't thought to use them for joining boards, but for steadying logs or large timbers, as I hand split them or hand work them, in certain circumstances.... more so in a fashion of a hold-down type tool. *Old original hold downs are not always so readily available, on Ebay, either.

There are very large varieties of pinch dogs, 3', 4', etc., for logs, also. I don't recall if those larger ones have a different "name"/term.

They look simple to use, but my use was not perfect. I didn't know a proper technique, for my purpose, so I had problems, as to their proper application and function, but I persisted. I suppose, someday, I'll learn better, as I practice, more, have a project that I can practice on.

I like old tools, I have only a few, and it's a little annoying when I have to teach myself their proper or best use. It looks easy, when someone else uses them, correctly, but not so easy, when it's use is new to me. Sometimes, I try to convince myself that I'm smarter, than an inanimate object, but end up humbling to my *smartaleckness, if you know what I mean.

Similarly, using a adze or broad ax, properly, is not as easy as it seems, either.

Sometimes I feel like a idiot, sometimes I prove it, when messing with old hand tools!.... and, luckily, I still have all my fingers and toes.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/11/2015 11:33 PM, Michael wrote:
This is the first time I've seen this. I can't way to get some and try them out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehiS...em-subs_digest

Mike

I think I would be more inclined to use clamps...
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
[...]

When I was much younger, my Dad & brothers "dipped turpentine". They
used a broadaxe and maul to cut a slit to insert the tins in. That
was long ago but not so far away.

--
 GW Ross

 People who live in stone houses
 shouldn't throw glasses.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 12 Mar 2015 09:40:34 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehiS...em-subs_digest

I think I would be more inclined to use clamps...

He certainly had enough planes there. I figure at least two dozen.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote in
:

*snip*

I like old tools, I have only a few, and it's a little annoying when I
have to teach myself their proper or best use. It looks easy, when
someone else uses them, correctly, but not so easy, when it's use is
new to me. Sometimes, I try to convince myself that I'm smarter,
than an inanimate object, but end up humbling to my *smartaleckness,
if you know what I mean.

*snip*

Sometimes there's a lot of knowledge hidden in tool designs. It's not the
object you have to be smarter than, but the designer you have to equal.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/11/2015 11:33 PM, Michael wrote:

This is the first time I've seen this. I can't way to get some and try them out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehiS...em-subs_digest

Cabinetmaker I worked for briefly in the UK 50 years ago had boxes full
of them, some of them fairly long, 8 to 10 or so". He had them made by
the local blacksmith.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, March 12, 2015 at 9:40:44 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 3/11/2015 11:33 PM, Michael wrote:
This is the first time I've seen this. I can't way to get some and try them out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehiS...em-subs_digest

Mike

I think I would be more inclined to use clamps...

No doubt, but I'm still going to try this. It looks like fun.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Nice lesson.

I always heard pinch dogs. Timber dogs are larger than your hand and
are used in attaching a chain to a log in order to drag it. Handy
attachment item.

Martin

On 3/11/2015 11:33 PM, Michael wrote:
This is the first time I've seen this. I can't way to get some and try them out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehiS...em-subs_digest

Mike

Treated Timber from Timber Merchants Cursitor Doom[_3_] UK diy 12 November 13th 14 07:17 AM
All about DOGS [email protected] Home Repair 0 January 24th 08 06:31 PM
All about DOGS [email protected] Home Repair 4 January 21st 08 01:54 PM
All about DOGS moodyddd Woodworking 20 January 20th 08 11:33 PM
Feel like an idiot buying Timber at timber yards [email protected] UK diy 30 October 12th 07 10:15 AM