Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Feit LED Shop Lights at Costco!

http://www2.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11980933&whse=BD_579&topnav=BC &cat=99896&hierPath=97105*97112*99896*&lang=en-US
http://www.feit.com/led-lamps/LED_Utility_Lights

I bought 4 of these LED 4' shop lights at Costco for 32 bucks each,
regularly $40 at our local Costco. I'll be going back to buy some more
(even at $40) as soon as their replacement shipment comes in.

These things are great! I've always loved LED lights because of their
efficiency and brightness, however, I hate the fact that they
temporarily blind you if you happen to glance right at the diode, giving
you that blind spot in your eyes for 5 minutes.

I've also never understood why they have to make LED lights in the shape
of older light technologies. Do I really need my LED light to be in the
shape of an incandescent bulb? I guess the marketing department thinks
we're all too afraid of new things.

In this case, however, I'm glad they make these LED shop lights in the
shape of florescent shop light, because they spread the light out very
nicely AND they put a white coating over the tubes to diffuse the light.
This means I can look directly at the light without being blinded.

These things very bright with a nice, cool, neutral tone that reflects
accurate colors for wood finishing. They are only 38watts per fixture!
This is less than half what my previous florescent fixtures consumed,
and they put out the equivalent of a 250 watt bulb. So I'm getting 1000
watts of light for the cost of 152 with absolutely no heat.

My old shop lights were about $15-20 per fixture plus the $10-12 or more
for the daylight tubes I put in them. I ended up replacing ballasts (or
entire fixture) every couple years as well as tubes.

These LEDs are already a decent color/tone, start up instantly, and are
rated to last 30 years in I use them 6 hours a day, 365 days a year, and
use half the energy as florescents.

I have four of them up and the look great, extremely bright, and
completely silent. With the white ceiling, the shop is super bright!

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
[...]

They should have given them to you for free.

--
 GW Ross

 An eye for an eye will make the whole
 world go blind. - Mahatma Gandhi

Posted to rec.woodworking

I bought a similar unit at Sam's last week for $35. Had the same pleasant results you did and will replace the fluorescent units as they fail with these LED devices. I never could understand why a ballast cost more than a whole new shop light but hopefully no more of those or the tubes. LED lighting also helped me with a reading light problem I've had for a while. The 60 watt bulb would heat the rotary switch and the plastic knob would not turn the threaded metal shaft that serves as the off on switch. Cooling the light by unplugging would solve the problem but that was not much of a fix. Tried a $5 LED light and the no heat factor made the soft plastic switch problem disappear. Now if I could only figure out how to keep my well tank/pump safe at sub 32 temperatures without using an incandescent reflector light.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/10/15 6:58 AM, G. Ross wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Can't believe I'm asking.... but why?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/10/15 6:58 AM, G. Ross wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
[...]

For all that great review you made.

--
 GW Ross

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/10/15 12:17 PM, G. Ross wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/10/15 6:58 AM, G. Ross wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
[...]

I know what it's like blowing money on crappy stuff over and over again,
trying to find that which actually works well. So this was a public
service announcement. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/10/2015 12:28 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/10/15 12:17 PM, G. Ross wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/10/15 6:58 AM, G. Ross wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Your review showed up two times.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/10/15 12:17 PM, G. Ross wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/10/15 6:58 AM, G. Ross wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Yeah! So good, I did it twice!! :-D
I was having trouble with the news server and thought it didn't post the
first time.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/10/15 12:17 PM, G. Ross wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/10/15 6:58 AM, G. Ross wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
[...]

It was good! Two times!

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
[...]

I've been using 6000 K fluorescents because of the color (bright white)
What are the lumens with the lights you describe? And the color temp (if
it's available)?

Thanks
Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/10/15 9:51 PM, Max wrote:

-MIKE- wrote:
[...]

3,700 lumens.
4100°K which is a little under sunlight. I generally prefer something
more like an overcast sky, but these are very neutral and I can see true
colors in this temp.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/10/2015 11:27 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I've been using 6000 K fluorescents because of the color (bright
white) What are the lumens with the lights you describe? And the
color temp (if it's available)?

Thanks Max

3,700 lumens.
4100°K which is a little under sunlight. I generally prefer something
more like an overcast sky, but these are very neutral and I can see true
colors in this temp.

Might be good for my garage bench, since my florescent bulbs are slow to
brighten in cold temps. But the common old school F40 is rated at 3000
lumens per tube (6000 per fixture), so its sounds like the the LED
fixture might be a bit dimmer. Though the LED light may be more
concentrated and brighter on the bench top.

Hmmm, might have to try one.
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Does anyone know the MTBF (mean time between failures) of this
type of light? I replaced nearly all my regular light bulbs in the
house with screw-in fluorescents several years ago. PROs--It makes
the greenies happy even though they all contain mercury vapor.
CONs--They cost more, at least they did then. The MTBF is only
slightly longer than with regular bulbs in my experience. The UV they
emit fades pictures and fabrics much faster than incandescents. I
doubt I save enough electricity to make up for the cost difference.
The LEDs are a relatively new technology, but I have some
decorative ones in the kitchen (on a high shelf around the ceiling).
They DO eventually fail.

--
 GW Ross

 An eye for an eye will make the whole
 world go blind. - Mahatma Gandhi

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/10/2015 9:27 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/10/15 9:51 PM, Max wrote:

I've been using 6000 K fluorescents because of the color (bright
white) What are the lumens with the lights you describe? And the
color temp (if it's available)?

Thanks Max

3,700 lumens.
4100°K which is a little under sunlight. I generally prefer something
more like an overcast sky, but these are very neutral and I can see true
colors in this temp.

Thanks.
So happens that we'll be going to Costco today...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/11/15 8:06 AM, Larry Kraus wrote:
On 3/10/2015 11:27 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I've been using 6000 K fluorescents because of the color (bright
white) What are the lumens with the lights you describe? And the
color temp (if it's available)?

Thanks Max

3,700 lumens. 4100°K which is a little under sunlight. I generally
prefer something more like an overcast sky, but these are very
neutral and I can see true colors in this temp.

Might be good for my garage bench, since my florescent bulbs are slow
to brighten in cold temps. But the common old school F40 is rated at
3000 lumens per tube (6000 per fixture), so its sounds like the the
LED fixture might be a bit dimmer. Though the LED light may be more
concentrated and brighter on the bench top.

Hmmm, might have to try one.

These seem super bright to me. I do have a flat, white ceiling in the
new garage instead of the open joist one in the old place, so I'm sure
the reflection is helping.

If you get them at Costco, their return policy is second to none, so you
have nothing to lose by trying a couple.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/11/15 9:14 AM, G. Ross wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
[...]

I don't know about their real-life failure rate because it's probably
too early to tell on such a newer technology. In my experience LEDs are
already proving to have many, many times the life of incandescent bulbs
and so much longer than CFLs that it's worth the extra cost even if all
others things were equal.... which they aren't.

Setting aside all the political reasons I have for disliking CFLs,
almost everything else about them is terrible. Terrible light temps,
slow start-ups, they seem to brighten and dim themselves, and much
shorter life than rated for.

Hopefully, LEDs will start to take over due to all their obvious
advantages. Once demand increases and manufacturing gets more
efficient, the price will drop making them much more competitive with
CFLs. Hopefully, the whole CFL industry will simply fade away like the
light they produce.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/11/15 10:17 AM, Max wrote:
On 3/10/2015 9:27 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/10/15 9:51 PM, Max wrote:

I've been using 6000 K fluorescents because of the color (bright
white) What are the lumens with the lights you describe? And the
color temp (if it's available)?

Thanks Max

3,700 lumens. 4100°K which is a little under sunlight. I generally
prefer something more like an overcast sky, but these are very
neutral and I can see true colors in this temp.

Thanks. So happens that we'll be going to Costco today...

I'm curious to know if they have them in stock and their price, if you
wouldn't mind reporting back.
It's funny to see how different Costcos carry different products and can
have vastly different prices. When I was researching these I saw that
another store in another state had a regular price that was the same as
the special sale price at my local store.
What city are you in?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/11/2015 9:49 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/11/15 10:17 AM, Max wrote:
On 3/10/2015 9:27 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/10/15 9:51 PM, Max wrote:

I've been using 6000 K fluorescents because of the color (bright
white) What are the lumens with the lights you describe? And the
color temp (if it's available)?

Thanks Max

3,700 lumens. 4100°K which is a little under sunlight. I generally
prefer something more like an overcast sky, but these are very
neutral and I can see true colors in this temp.

Thanks. So happens that we'll be going to Costco today...

I'm curious to know if they have them in stock and their price, if you
wouldn't mind reporting back.
It's funny to see how different Costcos carry different products and can
have vastly different prices. When I was researching these I saw that
another store in another state had a regular price that was the same as
the special sale price at my local store.
What city are you in?

El Paso, TX. Will report back later today. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- writes:
On 3/11/15 9:14 AM, G. Ross wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
[...]

I've replaced all my incandescents and all CFLs with LED
bulbs from costco. Indoor BR-30s for all the cans, globes in the bath, and
a few A19's for tabletop fixtures. I also picked up
one of the utility lights that you referred to above to
use for task-lighting at the workbench (the shop itself
is illuminated by 4 fixtures, each with 2x F96T12C50s
and electronic ballasts). The F96T12s are power-hungry, so
as 8' LED bulbs become available and _cost effective_,
the fluorescents will be replaced. Probably with
pendant mount LS series, similar to these (color temp 5k):

http://www.earthled.com/products/cre...8w-8000-lumens

We have some similar to these at work; quite nice; but not cheap.

I'm very happy with the LED bulbs.
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- writes:
[...]

The LEDs in the costco fixture are pointing straight down; unlike
a fluorescent bulb, which radiates light all the way around, the
LED version radiates light downward (diffused somewhat by the
enclosing tube). That's why these fixtures don't have reflectors.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/11/15 12:19 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
-MIKE- writes:
On 3/11/15 9:14 AM, G. Ross wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Several months ago I got a bunch of retrofit LED fixtures for all the
can lights in out new place from Costco.
Not only are they much lower wattage for brighter light, they are
dimmable. They also installed in about 5 minutes each.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/11/15 12:21 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
-MIKE- writes:
[...]

You are correct about the coating on the upper half.
But oddly enough, these actually do have reflectors above the tubes,
which are extremely easy to remove... and I did remove them. I noticed
a shadow above the lights and wondered if I'd get some reflection if I
removed the reflector... and I did. Nothing earth shattering, but
enough that I can tell it puts out a more even dispersion without the
reflector. Seems counter-intuitive, but it works. It also make the
fixtures much lighter.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 11 Mar 2015 10:44:33 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 3/11/15 9:14 AM, G. Ross wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
[...]

The main problem I have found with led lights is the waste heat can be
excessive, thought about that perhaps lighting needs a 12 volt ac
system. As most leds drop only 1.2v to 1.5v depending upon color.

But what do I know.

Mark
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 11 Mar 2015 10:14:54 -0400, "G. Ross" wrote:

Does anyone know the MTBF (mean time between failures) of this
type of light? I replaced nearly all my regular light bulbs in the
house with screw-in fluorescents several years ago. PROs--It makes
the greenies happy even though they all contain mercury vapor.
CONs--They cost more, at least they did then. The MTBF is only
slightly longer than with regular bulbs in my experience. The UV they
emit fades pictures and fabrics much faster than incandescents. I
doubt I save enough electricity to make up for the cost difference.
The LEDs are a relatively new technology, but I have some
decorative ones in the kitchen (on a high shelf around the ceiling).
They DO eventually fail.

I'm glad you asked about the MTBF! I unplugged a LED nite lite in the
hall to get the make & model number for this post. It's been in
continuous use since Oct 2009, I wrote the date on back w/sharpie so I
could see how long it lasted. I say continuous use because after a
couple of weeks of fast flickering during daylight, I painted over the
tiny photocell with a dab of whiteout.

It's China made, 2 led (dim) 'Amertac 71190A'. Googling reveled
it was recalled back in 2012 "Due to Fire and Burn Hazards"!

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2012/...-Burn-Hazards/

So THANK you! I'll be replacing it ASAP. But I must say, I've been
pleased with it and impressed with its longevity, about 38K hours.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Well, dayum! No such lights at local Costco. I looked all over the
store and finally asked someone.
"Sometimes they have items online that we don't carry"

BAH!
I did find an LED sentry light That I'll use to replace one on the shop
that's disfunctional. ;-)
Maybe I should re-word that. The shop is functional. The sentry light on
it isn't.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/11/15 5:26 PM, Max wrote:

Well, dayum! No such lights at local Costco. I looked all over the
store and finally asked someone.
"Sometimes they have items online that we don't carry"

BAH!
I did find an LED sentry light That I'll use to replace one on the shop
that's disfunctional. ;-)
Maybe I should re-word that. The shop is functional. The sentry light on
it isn't.

Ahh, bummer.
My local store ran out but they're getting a new shipment.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 10 Mar 2015 20:51:24 -0600, Max wrote:

-MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Yep. I use 6500K tubes (both in my shop and the stupid kitchen
fixture) because they put out so much more light.
Posted to rec.woodworking

One more hit on the cfl's is the bug light is just yellow.
It doesn't repel bugs like the old bug lights and when the
porch lights are turned on - no light to save a life.

I like the cfl flood light I put into the pantry. Always cool.
Very bright. And the floods seem to light faster than other cfl.

I have LED's in the hallway. We use 2 bulbs in three holders.
There is ample light. Runs cool.

Martin

On 3/11/2015 10:44 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/11/15 9:14 AM, G. Ross wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Martin Eastburn wrote in
:

One more hit on the cfl's is the bug light is just yellow.
It doesn't repel bugs like the old bug lights and when the
porch lights are turned on - no light to save a life.

I like the cfl flood light I put into the pantry. Always cool.
Very bright. And the floods seem to light faster than other cfl.

I have LED's in the hallway. We use 2 bulbs in three holders.
There is ample light. Runs cool.

Martin

Speaking of bugs, we replaced incandescant bulbs with LEDs in one outdoor
fixture. The second fixture (identical, about 20' away) had LEDs. The
fixture with LEDs attract fewer bugs. I didn't count or anything, but
the difference was plain to see.

LED lights aren't supposed to attract mosquitos, either, but I heard that
on TV and you know you can't be wrong on TV...

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/12/2015 1:23 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
LED lights aren't supposed to attract mosquitos, either, but I heard that
on TV and you know you can't be wrong on TV...

But wait! Act now, and you'll get twice as many...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/9/2015 10:41 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I have four of them up and the look great, extremely bright, and
completely silent. With the white ceiling, the shop is super bright!

Going to search these out. Even though I've had to stand too close to
drummers for too many years, I've got some the 4' BORG fixtures that are
humming B flat loud enough for me to hear them.

Thanks for the heads-up.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 3/12/2015 1:23 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
LED lights aren't supposed to attract mosquitos, either, but I heard
that on TV and you know you can't be wrong on TV...

But wait! Act now, and you'll get twice as many...

....Just pay shipping and handling...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/11/2015 11:05 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:

I have LED's in the hallway. We use 2 bulbs in three holders.

How did you cut them into thirds?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/12/2015 1:23 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
Martin Eastburn wrote in
:

One more hit on the cfl's is the bug light is just yellow.
It doesn't repel bugs like the old bug lights and when the
porch lights are turned on - no light to save a life.

I like the cfl flood light I put into the pantry. Always cool.
Very bright. And the floods seem to light faster than other cfl.

I have LED's in the hallway. We use 2 bulbs in three holders.
There is ample light. Runs cool.

Martin

Speaking of bugs, we replaced incandescant bulbs with LEDs in one outdoor
fixture. The second fixture (identical, about 20' away) had LEDs. The
fixture with LEDs attract fewer bugs. I didn't count or anything, but
the difference was plain to see.

Now that you mention that.....I have noticed that there are little to no
bugs that collect around our coach lights at our driveway. About a year
ago I put in LED bulbs. I wonder too if it is not only the light but
also the warmth that incandescent lights put out that may attract the
critters.

LED lights aren't supposed to attract mosquitos, either, but I heard that
on TV and you know you can't be wrong on TV...

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/12/15 7:43 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 3/9/2015 10:41 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I have four of them up and the look great, extremely bright, and
completely silent. With the white ceiling, the shop is super bright!

Going to search these out. Even though I've had to stand too close to
drummers for too many years, I've got some the 4' BORG fixtures that are
humming B flat loud enough for me to hear them.

Thanks for the heads-up.

And hear I thought they sounded like A sharp. :-p

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 12 Mar 2015 10:19:09 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 3/11/2015 11:05 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:

I have LED's in the hallway. We use 2 bulbs in three holders.

How did you cut them into thirds?

No need to make an cuts. You just multiplex them. When you walk down
the hall, you bring a bulb with you. With two bulbs and three
fixtures you don't have any darkness when moving the lights. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Just because one forgot to put 'each' -

2 bulbs each in three holders. 2 x 3 = 6.

One can cut them into 1/3 power easily :-)

Martin

On 3/12/2015 9:19 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 3/11/2015 11:05 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:

I have LED's in the hallway. We use 2 bulbs in three holders.

How did you cut them into thirds?

Posted to rec.woodworking

We move in and changed the stupid lights into something one can read
and see on the walls. First we had normal bulbs of 40 watts, then 60
watts then 40 watt and an LED and now modern LED and modern LED in each
with an effective 60 watt light with nominal wattage used.

Slowly going through the house. The library will be last as we have
replacement bulbs already and will run through them first unless I need
to make a heater box :-)

Martin

On 3/12/2015 6:51 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 12 Mar 2015 10:19:09 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 3/11/2015 11:05 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:

I have LED's in the hallway. We use 2 bulbs in three holders.

How did you cut them into thirds?

No need to make an cuts. You just multiplex them. When you walk down
the hall, you bring a bulb with you. With two bulbs and three
fixtures you don't have any darkness when moving the lights. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Martin Eastburn wrote in news:WEtMw.12880
:

Just because one forgot to put 'each' -

2 bulbs each in three holders. 2 x 3 = 6.

One can cut them into 1/3 power easily :-)

Martin

Yes, but who would take the cubed root of a light bulb?

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/9/2015 10:41 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I have four of them up and the look great, extremely bright, and
completely silent. With the white ceiling, the shop is super bright!

Going to search these out. Even though I've had to stand too close to
drummers for too many years, I've got some the 4' BORG fixtures that are
humming B flat loud enough for me to hear them.

Thanks for the heads-up.

And hear I thought they sounded like A sharp. :-p

And always remember when crossing the street: C sharp or B flat.