Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Recommended furniture dimensions - Armoire

I think someone here once mentioned a resource that lists recommended
dimensions for different types of furniture. Can someone post a link?

I'm especially interested in the recommended depth for an armoire that
would have a clothes-hanging rod in the usual orientation: parallel to
the back. Also the height of the clothes-hanging area. Let's assume it's
for shirts and pants folded over hangers. No dresses. No outerwear.

Thanks in advance.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/20/2015 8:35 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
I think someone here once mentioned a resource that lists recommended
dimensions for different types of furniture. Can someone post a link?

I'm especially interested in the recommended depth for an armoire that
would have a clothes-hanging rod in the usual orientation: parallel to
the back. Also the height of the clothes-hanging area. Let's assume it's
for shirts and pants folded over hangers. No dresses. No outerwear.

Thanks in advance.

I don't want to sound smart ellicky. But if you are going to build this
for yourself walk in to your closet and measure the closet rod from the
wall and double that figure plus an inch or two. Measure the length of
clothing that will be in the piece you will be building and again add a
few inches.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/20/2015 10:43 AM, Leon wrote:
On 2/20/2015 8:35 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
I think someone here once mentioned a resource that lists recommended
dimensions for different types of furniture. Can someone post a link?

I'm especially interested in the recommended depth for an armoire that
would have a clothes-hanging rod in the usual orientation: parallel to
the back. Also the height of the clothes-hanging area. Let's assume it's
for shirts and pants folded over hangers. No dresses. No outerwear.

Thanks in advance.

I don't want to sound smart ellicky. But if you are going to build this
for yourself walk in to your closet and measure the closet rod from the
wall and double that figure plus an inch or two. Measure the length of
clothing that will be in the piece you will be building and again add a
few inches.

I thought of that. But I'm always open to the idea that I may not know
something. It's certainly held true so far.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Customize!

Long ago, traditional furniture was made to "fit" that long-ago society. Many pieces, back then, were shorter (smaller), than they are today. Today, people, in general, are taller and some furniture reflects that increase in size.

There are standards, but who's to say they are right for you.
https://www.google.com/search?source...0l5.923 9j0j7

I often decide what's best for me (and mine), and I sometimes compare that to The Golden Ratio, just to see how "equal" that might be, how that might compare. I most often guage function and pleasing to my eye, more so than to strict standard guide lines, but often those standards satisfy my parameters.

My bathroom vanity cabinet (sink) is about 5" higher, than a standard cabinet/sink. I hate having to bend down to that "standard" low, when using the sink. My shower head is almost 7' high. I hate having to bend low (like at some Hotels, etc.), when showering.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/20/2015 9:35 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
I think someone here once mentioned a resource that lists recommended
dimensions for different types of furniture. Can someone post a link?

I'm especially interested in the recommended depth for an armoire that
would have a clothes-hanging rod in the usual orientation: parallel to the
back. Also the height of the clothes-hanging area. Let's assume it's for
shirts and pants folded over hangers. No dresses. No outerwear.

Thanks in advance.

In "The Woodworker's Guide To Furniture Design" by Garth Graves 58" to 60"
is given as a good overall height for an armoire. To me, that seems to be
quite a bit shorter than what is often seen labeled as such but, going with
60" and applying a very rough approximation of the GR then I see a width of
37.5" and a depth of 23.4". I guess it all depends on what you call an
armoire -- the original meaning was IIRC a cabinet meant for storing ones
armor.

Perhaps what you are aiming for is more of a 'wardrobe'? I don't see many
of them in this country but in the many closetless UK B&Bs I've visited
you'd be getting into something around 70" to 74" high, 36" to 40" wide,
and of a depth to allow clothes on a hanger to fit. These are usually set
up as hanging on one side and drawers and/or shelves on the other although
I've seen some that were all hanging with a single shelf above. Try
googling for 'wardrobe cabinet dimensions' and see what pops up.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/20/2015 9:35 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
I think someone here once mentioned a resource that lists recommended
dimensions for different types of furniture. Can someone post a link?

I'm especially interested in the recommended depth for an armoire that
would have a clothes-hanging rod in the usual orientation: parallel to the
back. Also the height of the clothes-hanging area. Let's assume it's for
shirts and pants folded over hangers. No dresses. No outerwear.

Thanks in advance.

I couldn't locate this other reference on my disorganized bookshelves the
first time round: "Rodale's Illustrated Cabinetmaking" by Bill Hylton. He
gives these dimensions for a generic armoire, wardrobe, schrank: 84" X 22"
X 51.5". but this height includes a tallish curved cornice. The schrank is
about the same size except for a 71" width. He discusses various
permutations of drawers/shelves/hanging as well as a few different styles.

I think I'd still try googling for dimensions and pictures unless you can
get to a furniture store which has what you want so you can measure and
photograph an example to emulate.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg Guarino" wrote in message

I think someone here once mentioned a resource that lists recommended
dimensions for different types of furniture. Can someone post a link?

I'm especially interested in the recommended depth for an armoire that
would have a clothes-hanging rod in the usual orientation: parallel to
the back.

24"

Also the height of the clothes-hanging area. Let's assume it's
for shirts and pants folded over hangers. No dresses. No outerwear.

40" is enough for the clothes, a 1 1/2" high rod (I make my own) and
sufficient space above the rod to get hangers on and off.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote in message

[...]

Yes. YES, YES, YES!!

I built all mine - kitchen too - to be 37 1/2, floor to counter top. My 5'
2" (eyes of green, not blue) wife has no problem with that height.

But...but...but...what about the kiddies? Frankly, my friends, I don't
give a damn

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote in news:mc7gm5$8i5$1@dont-
email.me:

I'm especially interested in the recommended depth for an armoire that
would have a clothes-hanging rod in the usual orientation: parallel to
the back. Also the height of the clothes-hanging area. Let's assume it's
for shirts and pants folded over hangers. No dresses. No outerwear.

Way back when I was a draftsman doing house plans, I was told
to never make a closet narrower than 16" because otherwise the
hangers wouldn't hang straight. Usually we aimed for 20-22".

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

I don't want to sound smart ellicky. But if you are going to build
this for yourself walk in to your closet and measure the closet rod
from the wall and double that figure plus an inch or two. Measure
the length of clothing that will be in the piece you will be building
and again add a few inches.

What am I missing here Leon - why double the measured distance from the wall
to the rod? Can't figure out the sense in that.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 02/20/2015 3:54 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:

I don't want to sound smart ellicky. But if you are going to build
this for yourself walk in to your closet and measure the closet rod
from the wall and double that figure plus an inch or two. Measure
the length of clothing that will be in the piece you will be building
and again add a few inches.

What am I missing here Leon - why double the measured distance from the wall
to the rod? Can't figure out the sense in that.

For an interior depth dimension -- presuming the closet isn't _way_ too
deep for the clothes only, of course. If it's a walkin, "not so much"...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, February 20, 2015 at 9:35:27 AM UTC-5, Greg Guarino wrote:
I think someone here once mentioned a resource that lists recommended
dimensions for different types of furniture. Can someone post a link?

I'm especially interested in the recommended depth for an Armoire that
would have a clothes-hanging rod in the usual orientation: parallel to
the back. Also the height of the clothes-hanging area. Let's assume it's
for shirts and pants folded over hangers. No dresses. No outerwear.

Thanks in advance.

Attached are pictures of the Armoire in my daughters' room. This unit was inherited from my wife's grandmother about 35 years ago. We suspect that it is of German origin, from the early 1900's, but we are not sure. The wife and I used it for a few years and then it was "given" to the 2 girls for their clothes. (Actually, we switched rooms and left it behind because it is too big for the room we moved into)

The overall dimensions are 77" high x 89" long x 26" deep. Yes, it's a very big unit. (more on that later) It was originally designed with a hanging closet on both ends and an adjustable shelf section in the middle. I modified it by lowering the hanging rod and adding an extra shelf as shown in this picture.

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps048d847e.jpg

As far as the dimensions you were asking about, the top of the hanging rod is 34" from the floor of the Armoire. This was high enough for the girl's clothes when they were young, but adult size shirts touch the floor. (I've used a height of 38" in some closets and that works fine for my shirts, but I'm only 5'4".) The outside depth of the unit is 26", but the inside depth is 23". That is more than enough depth for hanging shirts, pants, etc.

The original hanging rod on the opposite side (not shown) is 59" from the floor of the Armoire. That's 7" lower than the rods in my standard closets. The shelves in the end sections are 10" from the ceiling of the Armoire.

The Armoire is big, in fact way too big to move as a single unit. However, it is a cleverly designed knock-down unit. The following picture shows 2 features:

1 - The notched brackets and cleats used for the adjustable shelves in the center section.

2 - One of the knock-down connectors that connect the walls to the top and bottom of the unit. By inserting a thin rod, such as a Allen wrench, into the hole in the barrel, you can screw it down (or up) to take the unit apart.. When completely dismantled, you end up with 12 flat pieces, the largest of which are the top and the bottom. Oh yeah...and 8 shelves. The doors are attached with piano hinges using 56 flat screws per hinge.

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps30d5b0d6.jpg

If you need any more dimensions or other information, don't hesitate to ask..
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, February 20, 2015 at 3:55:53 PM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:

....snip...

I built all mine - kitchen too - to be 37 1/2, floor to counter top. My 5'
2" (eyes of green, not blue) wife has no problem with that height.

Covered with fur, Diamond rings, and all those things?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/20/2015 4:54 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:

I don't want to sound smart ellicky. But if you are going to build
this for yourself walk in to your closet and measure the closet rod
from the wall and double that figure plus an inch or two. Measure
the length of clothing that will be in the piece you will be building
and again add a few inches.

What am I missing here Leon - why double the measured distance from the wall
to the rod? Can't figure out the sense in that.

Reworded: if the hanging rod in your regular closet is 12" from the rear
wall and that dimension works for the clothes you want to hang then double
it to 24" to get the depth of the furniture piece to provide equivalent
hanging space. In other words the rod is centered from front-to-back in the
wardrobe.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 20 Feb 2015 09:35:25 -0500
Greg Guarino wrote:

I think someone here once mentioned a resource that lists recommended
dimensions for different types of furniture. Can someone post a link?

dunno but would check those pro closet sites and see what dimensions
they show use

I'm especially interested in the recommended depth for an armoire
that would have a clothes-hanging rod in the usual orientation:
parallel to the back. Also the height of the clothes-hanging area.
Let's assume it's for shirts and pants folded over hangers. No
dresses. No outerwear.

I saw one once that had the hangers hanging at an angle so the depth
was less than a full-hanger width. it had room on the gaps for a shelf
for briefs and socks

the hangers on the left hung one way and the hangers on the right
hung opposite with two gaps
one left one right there was also a tie rack in the middle gap

but it was missing the sock/brief warming accoutrement

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

I don't want to sound smart ellicky. But if you are going to build
this for yourself walk in to your closet and measure the closet rod
from the wall and double that figure plus an inch or two. Measure
the length of clothing that will be in the piece you will be
building and again add a few inches.

What am I missing here Leon - why double the measured distance from
the wall to the rod? Can't figure out the sense in that.

Reworded: if the hanging rod in your regular closet is 12" from the
rear wall and that dimension works for the clothes you want to hang
then double it to 24" to get the depth of the furniture piece to
provide equivalent hanging space. In other words the rod is centered
from front-to-back in the wardrobe.

D'OH! Why in the hell didn't I see that the first time...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, February 20, 2015 at 4:04:02 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

1 - The notched brackets and cleats used for the adjustable shelves in the center section.

That notched design dates back to, at least, the 1820s. Here's 2 pics of a 1820s china hutch that has a similar notched (adjustable) shelf bracing.
Cabinet: https://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/16409673160/ (and how about those recently upholstered dining chairs!!!)
Bracing: https://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/16409535770/

Just so happens, I plan to use this bracing technique on/in the gun cabinet, i.e., being able to (easily) remove the 2 gun rack aspects and install adjustable shelves. I happen to have just enough of those old boards, remaining, to make 3 shelves.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 20 Feb 2015 15:33:00 -0500, BenignBodger
wrote:

[...]

I think the height should be tall enough you do not see the dust on
top.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/20/2015 3:54 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:

I don't want to sound smart ellicky. But if you are going to build
this for yourself walk in to your closet and measure the closet rod
from the wall and double that figure plus an inch or two. Measure
the length of clothing that will be in the piece you will be building
and again add a few inches.

What am I missing here Leon - why double the measured distance from the wall
to the rod? Can't figure out the sense in that.

Wall to rod is just over half the width of a coat hanger... Remember
the coat hanger protrudes out from the rod also, about the same distance
of the rod to wall. This is only if you want to close the door on the
armoire.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

I don't want to sound smart ellicky. But if you are going to build
this for yourself walk in to your closet and measure the closet rod
from the wall and double that figure plus an inch or two. Measure
the length of clothing that will be in the piece you will be
building and again add a few inches.

What am I missing here Leon - why double the measured distance from
the wall to the rod? Can't figure out the sense in that.

Wall to rod is just over half the width of a coat hanger... Remember
the coat hanger protrudes out from the rod also, about the same
distance of the rod to wall. This is only if you want to close the
door on the armoire.

Yeah - someone else already pointed out the obvious Leon. Don't know what
the hell I was seeing when I first read your post. One of those moments, I
guess...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/20/2015 10:57 AM, Sonny wrote:
My bathroom vanity cabinet (sink) is about 5" higher, than a standard cabinet/sink. I hate having to bend down to that "standard" low, when using the sink.

When you splash water on your face does it run back down your arms and
onto the floor?

Why I don't like tall vanities ...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/20/2015 2:05 PM, BenignBodger wrote:
Perhaps what you are aiming for is more of a 'wardrobe'? I don't see
many of them in this country but in the many closetless UK B&Bs I've
visited you'd be getting into something around 70" to 74" high,

And, do you know the reason why you see so many of these in the UK and
European countries?

Taxes...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, February 22, 2015 at 8:36:36 AM UTC-6, Swingman wrote:
On 2/20/2015 10:57 AM, Sonny wrote:
My bathroom vanity cabinet (sink) is about 5" higher, than a standard cabinet/sink. I hate having to bend down to that "standard" low, when using the sink.

When you splash water on your face does it run back down your arms and
onto the floor?

LOL. No. I always thought that splashing of water, that way, was only done on TV commercials, portraying/promoting some masculine image. I wet the wash cloth and wipe my face.

That macho splashing was done long ago, when I use to camp out in the woods, at the lake, somewhere. I ain't so macho, anymore.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

I don't want to sound smart ellicky. But if you are going to build
this for yourself walk in to your closet and measure the closet rod
from the wall and double that figure plus an inch or two. Measure
the length of clothing that will be in the piece you will be
building and again add a few inches.

What am I missing here Leon - why double the measured distance from
the wall to the rod? Can't figure out the sense in that.

Wall to rod is just over half the width of a coat hanger... Remember
the coat hanger protrudes out from the rod also, about the same
distance of the rod to wall. This is only if you want to close the
door on the armoire.

Yeah - someone else already pointed out the obvious Leon. Don't know what
the hell I was seeing when I first read your post. One of those moments, I
guess...

;~) Sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/22/2015 8:36 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/20/2015 10:57 AM, Sonny wrote:
My bathroom vanity cabinet (sink) is about 5" higher, than a standard
cabinet/sink. I hate having to bend down to that "standard" low,
when using the sink.

When you splash water on your face does it run back down your arms and
onto the floor?

Why I don't like tall vanities ...

Yeah but you are short. ;~)

When I splash water on my face it goes everywhere, not just down my arms
and to the floor, all over the counter, mirror, shirt..... LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/22/2015 10:50 AM, Leon wrote:

Yeah but you are now shorter. ;~)

fify

Life beats you down. Just wait 11 years, youngster.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman writes:
On 2/20/2015 2:05 PM, BenignBodger wrote:
Perhaps what you are aiming for is more of a 'wardrobe'? I don't see
many of them in this country but in the many closetless UK B&Bs I've
visited you'd be getting into something around 70" to 74" high,

And, do you know the reason why you see so many of these in the UK and
European countries?

Taxes...

What, you mean it has nothing to do with the fact that most of those
B&B's are over 100 years old and weren't built with closets?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/23/2015 9:00 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Swingman writes:
On 2/20/2015 2:05 PM, BenignBodger wrote:
Perhaps what you are aiming for is more of a 'wardrobe'? I don't see
many of them in this country but in the many closetless UK B&Bs I've
visited you'd be getting into something around 70" to 74" high,

And, do you know the reason why you see so many of these in the UK and
European countries?

Taxes...

What, you mean it has nothing to do with the fact that most of those
B&B's are over 100 years old and weren't built with closets?

Homes in the UK have a tax based on the amount of rooms, counting
closets. Fewer closets, lower taxes. There were taxes 100 years ago
too. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

And, do you know the reason why you see so many of these in the UK
and
European countries?

Swingman writes:

Taxes...

Taxes also drove the mansard roof.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman writes:
On 2/20/2015 2:05 PM, BenignBodger wrote:
Perhaps what you are aiming for is more of a 'wardrobe'? I don't see
many of them in this country but in the many closetless UK B&Bs I've
visited you'd be getting into something around 70" to 74" high,

And, do you know the reason why you see so many of these in the UK and
European countries?

Taxes...

What, you mean it has nothing to do with the fact that most of those
B&B's are over 100 years old and weren't built with closets?

Homes in the UK have a tax based on the amount of rooms, counting
closets. Fewer closets, lower taxes. There were taxes 100 years ago
too. ;~)

Speaking of closets, et al...

My buddy was building a post and beam home. He needed to convert his building loan into a mortgage so he had to get an electrical inspection. He had not yet bored the holes for all of the receptacles in the beams that ran along the floor of the dining room, but he was running out of time.

Now, picture the area that was to become the dining room: It was in a sunken area off of the kitchen, it had floor to ceiling windows, a beautiful chandelier hanging from the vaulted ceiling and opened into a sitting area near one side of a 2 sided fireplace. There were speakers built into the wall and a beautiful hardwood floor.

My buddy had become well acquainted with the electrical inspector throughout the build and they got along very well. The conversation during the inspection went something like this:

Inspector: And what will this room be used for?
Buddy: It's going to be the dining room.
Inspector: A dining room requires receptacles every 6'.
Buddy: Umm...well...ahhh...then...it's a closet!
Inspector: Well, OK, you don't need receptacles in a closet. By the way, this is going to be a very nice closet.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 09:17:51 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
Homes in the UK have a tax based on the amount of rooms, counting
closets. Fewer closets, lower taxes. There were taxes 100 years ago
too. ;~)

So eliminating the closets and replacing them with a wardrobe or
armoire lessens the tax total? Too bad there aren't many similarly
easy tax dodges around.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, February 23, 2015 at 11:01:32 AM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

My buddy had become well acquainted with the electrical inspector throughout the build and they got along very well. The conversation during the inspection went something like this:

Inspector: And what will this room be used for?
Buddy: It's going to be the dining room.
Inspector: A dining room requires receptacles every 6'.
Buddy: Umm...well...ahhh...then...it's a closet!
Inspector: Well, OK, you don't need receptacles in a closet. By the way, this is going to be a very nice closet.

Hey, if my dog lives indoors, then it's a doghouse, right? No taxes or inspection for doghouses, that I'm aware of.

Wish I had a cat.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, February 23, 2015 at 4:31:50 PM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
On Monday, February 23, 2015 at 11:01:32 AM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

My buddy had become well acquainted with the electrical inspector throughout the build and they got along very well. The conversation during the inspection went something like this:

Inspector: And what will this room be used for?
Buddy: It's going to be the dining room.
Inspector: A dining room requires receptacles every 6'.
Buddy: Umm...well...ahhh...then...it's a closet!
Inspector: Well, OK, you don't need receptacles in a closet. By the way, this is going to be a very nice closet.

Hey, if my dog lives indoors, then it's a doghouse, right? No taxes or inspection for doghouses, that I'm aware of.

I guess that would depend on how friendly your are with the inspector.

Wish I had a cat.

Do you want mine? She's driving us crazy. 10 months out of the year she's hardly ever in the house. It's -3 F right now and she's got a serious case of cabin fever. Just about every hour she's whining to go out into the garage, 5 minutes later she's banging to get back in.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

When I moved here I noticed 13 commodes on my tax bill. Hum I said -
Only 4 total - 3 house, 1 shop. What is the other 9. 30 years ago
there was a saw mill here and there was a wide building...

I thought they counted the mens room of a long defunk building.

They were counting faucets in the house. Missed two. Wow. One is
Never, Never used. They used it as water usage and richness.
Had been around since the turn of the 20th century. City 'folk' finally
kept complaining.

Martin

Swingman writes:
On 2/20/2015 2:05 PM, BenignBodger wrote:
Perhaps what you are aiming for is more of a 'wardrobe'? I don't see
many of them in this country but in the many closetless UK B&Bs I've
visited you'd be getting into something around 70" to 74" high,

And, do you know the reason why you see so many of these in the UK and
European countries?

Taxes...

What, you mean it has nothing to do with the fact that most of those
B&B's are over 100 years old and weren't built with closets?

Homes in the UK have a tax based on the amount of rooms, counting
closets. Fewer closets, lower taxes. There were taxes 100 years ago
too. ;~)

Speaker surround re-foaming - any recommended or not-recommended suppliers? Bob F Electronics Repair 0 December 12th 08 12:44 AM
A/V equipment dimensions for furniture design Highland Pairos Woodworking 12 February 7th 08 05:49 PM
ARMOIRE J T Woodworking 0 February 28th 07 06:08 AM
tried to fix armoire uh oh G. Doughty Woodworking 17 September 4th 06 02:32 PM
Recommended Furniture Polish? Mike Woodworking 1 August 25th 06 03:40 AM