Posted to rec.woodworking

Default remedy for clean cut

regarding fancy chopping blocks
i'm not making one but using my own twist to achieve something similar
i would be horrified if anything i make was equated with a museum
or the word musuem was used to describe anything

use it, wear it out, break it, fix it, toss it, kindling, clay pidgeon

in the previous post I just cut a curvy line through a laminated
square

leon pointed right to my mistake, i did not create a gap between
to allow for the thickness of the lath I was attempting to use
between to give it a nice curvy accent

here's what I'm going to do next

route a shallow rabbet half the width of the lath into each curve face
route the curve face flush
then apply good woodwork habits like gluing,clamping,sanding,finish
probably more sanding,finish
maybe repeat last one

only adding one curvy accent

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/7/2015 8:41 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

[...]

That just might work! Let us know if it does as it will probably
eliminate the need for a pattern.

BUT keep in mind when you created the halves you have already removed
some material so I would think that your removing half the thickness of
the replacement material from each side might be a touch too much.

Practice on a scrap.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 07 Feb 2015 13:14:39 -0600
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

That just might work! Let us know if it does as it will probably
eliminate the need for a pattern.

i will report back on it

BUT keep in mind when you created the halves you have already removed
some material so I would think that your removing half the thickness
of the replacement material from each side might be a touch too much.

you're right, good catch
I may secure a couple of winds of tape around the bearing to handle that

Practice on a scrap.

it's close to being scrap so will go for it
I can always salvage something from it

i like those challenges
let's face it sometimes the usual stuff gets boring

i even have started to look at objects of wood at the 2nd hand
shops and imagine them in a different form

an old kitchen table
cut the legs to coffee height
cut the discards in half
laminate those to the remaining legs
put a square edge to the top
refinish

trying to imagine how it could look is the fun part

you get the idea
folks get tired of looking at the same patterns
whether it be the table's edge or geometric shape or color
sometimes applying some thought and tools can make a difference