Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Glider chair

I just finished a glider chair (my first) for a friend of mine. It looks good and sits fine, until you start to "glide" in it. Then it has a catch in the motion that makes "gliding" in it uncomfortable. I used this set of hardware,

http://www.rockler.com/glider-bracket-hardware

According to the instructions, which were minimal, the arms hang straight down and have a 7 1/2" distance between centers. That distance will be determined by mounting them, as the lag screws can only go at a certain distance, once the top is mounted. Or so it seems.

Any idea(s) whats putting the "hitch in the get-along?"

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, February 6, 2015 at 7:55:15 PM UTC-6, Dr. Deb wrote:

Any idea(s) whats putting the "hitch in the get-along?"

Try this:
Disconnect one bracket, at a time, from the seat unit, but keep the bracket connected to the stationary frame. Holding the seat in correct position, glide the seat. Is the "catch" still there? If so, reattach that bracket to the seat and repeat the glide test on another bracket. If each seat attachment is okay, then try the testing by removing each bracket from stationary frame, testing each one.

Troubleshoot each bracket to find out which one is the problem and at which location.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks, Sonny, will do and will let you know how it turns out.

Deb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/6/2015 7:55 PM, Dr. Deb wrote:

I just finished a glider chair (my first) for a friend of mine. It looks good and sits fine, until you start to "glide" in it. Then it has a catch in the motion that makes "gliding" in it uncomfortable. I used this set of hardware,

http://www.rockler.com/glider-bracket-hardware

According to the instructions, which were minimal, the arms hang straight down and have a 7 1/2" distance between centers. That distance will be determined by mounting them, as the lag screws can only go at a certain distance, once the top is mounted. Or so it seems.

Any idea(s) whats putting the "hitch in the get-along?"

Are attachment bolts interfering with the base or the seat?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, February 6, 2015 at 7:55:15 PM UTC-6, Dr. Deb wrote:
I just finished a glider chair (my first) for a friend of mine. It looks good and sits fine, until you start to "glide" in it. Then it has a catch in the motion that makes "gliding" in it uncomfortable. I used this set of hardware,

http://www.rockler.com/glider-bracket-hardware

According to the instructions, which were minimal, the arms hang straight down and have a 7 1/2" distance between centers. That distance will be determined by mounting them, as the lag screws can only go at a certain distance, once the top is mounted. Or so it seems.

Any idea(s) whats putting the "hitch in the get-along?"

I did have a bit of a bind on the back arms binding on the seat supports. But I cleared that problem. Now it swings okay, but just binds in the middle of the swing, giving a jerk to the motion, which, as my friend said, takes all the pleasure out of the chair.

Deb

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dr. Deb" wrote:
[...]

Keep in mind that if the arms do not hang perfectly parallel there is going
to be a point in the swing that the arms are working against each other,
almost acting as a break.
Think of a simple square frame. It is easy to push it out of square. If
you add diagonal supports the frame gains significant resistance against
being pushed out of square. The closer the supports are to square with the
frame the less resistance there will be to push the frame out of square.
Now think of your chair swing arms as sides of your frame and the base and
chair the top and bottom of your frame. If the swing arms are not
perfectly parallel they at some point in the swing will resist each other.

You need to insure that the distance between the top of the swing arms
attachment points is exactly the same as the distance between the bottom
attachment points. If not there will be resistance, that bump you feel, at
the same spot of the forward and backward swing.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks, will check it very carefully.

Deb
Posted to rec.woodworking

Got the chair back in the shop today and checked it out. It turns out the problem was not a "hitch in the get-a-long" as he had described, but the fact he did not like the mechanism. It seems his old chair (commercially made) had a "T-bar" type movement that gave a rolling motion to the glide and that is what he was wanting.

Talked to him tonight and he said he saw the type of movement his old chair had, on the internet. I told him to find it and we would make this chair fit the movement. Which might be fun as the chair was made for the hanging mechanism. But we will see

But thanks to one and all for the tips and help.

Deb

Full Size Two Person Chair Glider Plans Needed Tim[_15_] Woodworking 5 June 6th 13 04:26 AM
Glider Rocker Allen[_5_] Woodworking 0 September 13th 10 09:08 PM
Swing Glider Plans Sonny Woodworking 1 April 7th 09 04:53 PM
Hammond Glider Trim Saw Ron Moore Woodworking 0 December 4th 08 04:41 AM
glider/slider windows: try before you buy ccs>ikyr Home Repair 31 December 31st 05 05:41 PM