Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Home Made Mortising Machine

View this week's Woodsmith Tip online:
http://woodsmithtips.com/l/11992-187620

The above will get you to the "guild edition" which will get you
to 217 edition which will then allow you to download the construction
pdf (page 30 - page 38) for a very well designed bench top mortising
machine.

From my viewpoint, the above produces a far more useful piece
of hardware than most of the commercial machines.

YMMV.

No vested interest, just thought it is a neat device.

BTW, there are some other neat projects included.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, January 29, 2015 at 9:29:40 PM UTC-5, Lew Hodgett wrote:
View this week's Woodsmith Tip online:
http://woodsmithtips.com/l/11992-187620

The above will get you to the "guild edition" which will get you
to 217 edition which will then allow you to download the construction
pdf (page 30 - page 38) for a very well designed bench top mortising
machine.

From my viewpoint, the above produces a far more useful piece
of hardware than most of the commercial machines.

YMMV.

No vested interest, just thought it is a neat device.

BTW, there are some other neat projects included.

Lew

I watched that video the other day and had one concern. They are using ball bearing drawer slides for all of the moving parts. Having just been introduced to ball bearing drawer slides when I built some new kitchen drawers, I noticed the fairly thick grease that was on the slides.

In fact, I was having a problem with one of the slides and called the vendor. While I was on the phone dealing with that issue, I asked him if there was any maintenance that I needed to do on the slides, such as greasing them He said that unless they get loaded up with sawdust during construction, they should be good for a long time.

So, how long is that mortising jig going to run smoothly considering that the exposed drawer slides are lying there just asking to be gunked up with greasy sawdust? In fact, Don even brushes off some saw dust when he shows an example of a slide.

I wonder how often the jig will have to be disassembled to be cleaned.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
View this week's Woodsmith Tip online:
http://woodsmithtips.com/l/11992-187620

The above will get you to the "guild edition" which will get you
to 217 edition which will then allow you to download the
construction pdf (page 30 - page 38) for a very well designed bench
top mortising machine.

From my viewpoint, the above produces a far more useful piece of
[...]

I thought the same thing!
That's a cool design and I might end up building one, but I'll
definitely look into sealed glides of some sort or a rod & bushing slide
system.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/30/2015 10:50 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, January 29, 2015 at 9:29:40 PM UTC-5, Lew Hodgett wrote:
View this week's Woodsmith Tip online:
http://woodsmithtips.com/l/11992-187620

The above will get you to the "guild edition" which will get you
to 217 edition which will then allow you to download the construction
pdf (page 30 - page 38) for a very well designed bench top mortising
machine.

From my viewpoint, the above produces a far more useful piece
[...]

If the drawer slide is mounted with the cabinet side facing up there
should be no issues but push come to shove clean the grease out to begin
with and relube with Triflon or silicone spray.

This is not the first time I have seen similar jigs that use the exact
same style drawer slide for this purpose. IIRC WoodSmth the sister
publication and or an earlier version of ShopNotes had plans for a
similar mortiser.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
View this week's Woodsmith Tip online:
http://woodsmithtips.com/l/11992-187620

The above will get you to the "guild edition" which will get you
to 217 edition which will then allow you to download the
construction pdf (page 30 - page 38) for a very well designed bench
top mortising machine.

From my viewpoint, the above produces a far more useful piece of
[...]

Before spending too much money on sealed slides, consider this. I have
literally installed hundreds of these type slides for drawers and
sawdust falls down into the tracks when I drill holes for the mounting
screws. No issue what so ever.
Also IIRC Laguna uses ball bearings on their panel saws and they
recommend ball bearings over roller bearings as the minute contact point
simply pushes the debris out of the way. Debris that is not fastened
down will simply push out of the way. Grease is simply going to catch
more debris but not permanently hold it in place.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 01/30/2015 2:42 PM, Leon wrote:

If the drawer slide is mounted with the cabinet side facing up there
should be no issues but push come to shove clean the grease out to begin
with and relube with Triflon or silicone spray.

I've done similar with 'em...for the kind of load and no more movement
they get for the purpose they'll last indefinitely dry, even...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/30/2015 3:10 PM, dpb wrote:
On 01/30/2015 2:42 PM, Leon wrote:

If the drawer slide is mounted with the cabinet side facing up there
should be no issues but push come to shove clean the grease out to begin
with and relube with Triflon or silicone spray.

I've done similar with 'em...for the kind of load and no more movement
they get for the purpose they'll last indefinitely dry, even...

--

;~)
I was kinda thinking about all of this.. This project could, with

Most of these type slides come with a life time warranty.
With that in mind, My domino in the last 8 or so years has produced
around 10,000 mortises. A kitchen drawer probably gets opened and
closed at least 5 times a day. X 365 = 1,825, X 8 years = 14,600.
I think they would last too.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 01/30/2015 3:33 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/30/2015 3:10 PM, dpb wrote:
On 01/30/2015 2:42 PM, Leon wrote:

I've done similar with 'em...for the kind of load and no more movement
they get for the purpose they'll last indefinitely dry, even...

;~)
I was kinda thinking about all of this.. This project could, with
limitations, do the work of a Festool Domino, or a Multi-Router.

The biggest difference in stuff put together with these kinds of
pieces-parts in place of "real" linear bearings, dovetail ways or the
like is that the drawer glides are designed for a vertical load and,
while higher quality versions such as the KV are relatively solid, they
don't have the rigidity nor the lack of backlash that the Domino or even
the Multi-Router has.

Generally that'll not matter that much; wood is still wood after all,
and a little play in the fence position or the quill movement isn't
going to cause a failure.

I build a sled for shaping window muntins using them to avoid having to
push each blank manually is one case where I mentioned earlier had done
the dirty...it did show a little bit more play but nothing that couldn't
be taken care of...

I kept the article; it's a good idea perhaps for the barn doors of which
I spoke just a few days/week ago in the other chisel mortise thread
where I had turned the mortising head of the Delta around...this could
be make to suit...

I still want a chain mortiser, though...at one time there was an addon
for the RAS but I was cheap and never bought one to try it out and now
can no longer even find one to see if it would work for the purpose...