Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Home Made Mortising Machine

On 1/30/15 10:50 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, January 29, 2015 at 9:29:40 PM UTC-5, Lew Hodgett
wrote:
View this week's Woodsmith Tip online:
http://woodsmithtips.com/l/11992-187620

The above will get you to the "guild edition" which will get you
to 217 edition which will then allow you to download the
construction pdf (page 30 - page 38) for a very well designed bench
top mortising machine.

From my viewpoint, the above produces a far more useful piece of
hardware than most of the commercial machines.

YMMV.

No vested interest, just thought it is a neat device.

BTW, there are some other neat projects included.

Lew

I watched that video the other day and had one concern. They are
using ball bearing drawer slides for all of the moving parts. Having
just been introduced to ball bearing drawer slides when I built some
new kitchen drawers, I noticed the fairly thick grease that was on
the slides.

In fact, I was having a problem with one of the slides and called
the vendor. While I was on the phone dealing with that issue, I asked
him if there was any maintenance that I needed to do on the slides,
such as greasing them He said that unless they get loaded up with
sawdust during construction, they should be good for a long time.

So, how long is that mortising jig going to run smoothly considering
that the exposed drawer slides are lying there just asking to be
gunked up with greasy sawdust? In fact, Don even brushes off some
saw dust when he shows an example of a slide.

I wonder how often the jig will have to be disassembled to be
cleaned.

I thought the same thing!
That's a cool design and I might end up building one, but I'll
definitely look into sealed glides of some sort or a rod & bushing slide
system.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)