Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Recommended Buy?

This high pressure laminate is available:
http://lafayette.craigslist.org/mat/4849661337.html

I'm not knowledgeable of this product, but might these panels be similar to kitchen countertops? If so and though I don't have an immediate use for it, it may be a good buy for future use.... shop table tops, work bench tops. $25 per panel seems very inexpensive.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 01/17/2015 5:39 AM, Sonny wrote:
This high pressure laminate is available:
http://lafayette.craigslist.org/mat/4849661337.html

I'm not knowledgeable of this product, but might these panels be
similar to kitchen countertops? If so and though I don't have an
immediate use for it, it may be a good buy for future use.... shop
tabletops, work bench tops. $25 per panel seems very inexpensive.

Picture is so out of focus can't tell what one is looking at; don't look
to be thick enough to be countertops; but wording is odd enough not sure
it is just the Formica laminate, either; altho I'm thinking it is and
it's just awkwardly worded.

$1/sf isn't bad for that large a piece altho generally one can find
remnants and overstock at outlet places when needed if one doesn't care
about colors, etc., ...

If you think you're going to be using something of the sort and have a
place to store it and it's convenient, it's not a bad deal I'd judge but
I wouldn't call it a steal...but then again, it's been 15 yr since I
last bought any for the "lab" bench for the basement when made the move
back to the farm so don't know what has happened on pricing since. W/
the current slide in oil, should eventually begin to show up on such
things altho won't have affected this guy yet certainly...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, January 17, 2015 at 9:12:30 AM UTC-6, dpb wrote:
but wording is odd enough not sure
it is just the Formica laminate, either; altho I'm thinking it is and
it's just awkwardly worded.

It says laminate faced panel, so I'm assuming it is formica attached to a substrate. *The guy is not answering his phone, either.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 01/17/2015 9:25 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Saturday, January 17, 2015 at 9:12:30 AM UTC-6, dpb wrote:
but wording is odd enough not sure
it is just the Formica laminate, either; altho I'm thinking it is and
it's just awkwardly worded.

It says laminate faced panel, so I'm assuming it is formica attached
to a substrate. *The guy is not answering his phone, either.

I read what it says which is why I commented...there's no discernible
edge on the front dark-colored sheet so can't tell it's thickness at
all; the two light-colored show an edge but are so indistinct/blurry
they could be birch ply or then again could be laminate...who knows??
I'd assume nothing w/o seeing or a much better photo...

For the latter, it's a Saturday morning...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Got a call back and spoke with the guy, at length. He's a commercial contractor, moving his warehouse to here... so I don't have to travel 35 miles to his old warehouse, where the pic was taken.

The formica is on 3/4" and 7/8" AB ply. That sounds promising. I'll probably buy it. He'll be available Monday morning.

Says he has lots of other construction surplus, also, including 1"+ composite lumber, nice wide widths. These might be great for jams and framing screens, for the screened-in porch at the farm. Good timing, as we're ready to install the jams and screens. https://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/16099566568/

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 01/17/2015 12:38 PM, Sonny wrote:
Got a call back and spoke with the guy, at length. He's a commercial contractor, moving his warehouse to here... so I don't have to travel 35 miles to his old warehouse, where the pic was taken.

The formica is on 3/4" and 7/8" AB ply. That sounds promising. I'll
probably buy it. He'll be available Monday morning.

That does, indeed...if have place to store, go for it...

Says he has lots of other construction surplus, also, including 1"+
composite lumber, nice wide widths. These might be great for jams
and framing screens, ...

Too bad he's too far away; would probably take a look otherwise,
meself...just as a note, those would be "jambs", not a spread for your
toast in the morning...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/17/2015 6:39 AM, Sonny wrote:
This high pressure laminate is available:
http://lafayette.craigslist.org/mat/4849661337.html

I'm not knowledgeable of this product, but might these panels be similar to kitchen countertops? If so and though I don't have an immediate use for it, it may be a good buy for future use.... shop table tops, work bench tops. $25 per panel seems very inexpensive.

Sonny

If the bond is good yep. The laminate is more expensive than the cost of
the panel.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/17/2015 12:38 PM, Sonny wrote:
Got a call back and spoke with the guy, at length. He's a commercial contractor, moving his warehouse to here... so I don't have to travel 35 miles to his old warehouse, where the pic was taken.

The formica is on 3/4" and 7/8" AB ply. That sounds promising. I'll probably buy it. He'll be available Monday morning.

Says he has lots of other construction surplus, also, including 1"+ composite lumber, nice wide widths. These might be great for jams and framing screens, for the screened-in porch at the farm. Good timing, as we're ready to install the jams and screens. https://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/16099566568/

Sonny

Keep in mind that if both sides of the 3/4 and 7/8 ply are not covered
with the plastic laminate the panels could warp. Most all laminate
manufacturers advise that both sides be covered. Now having said that I
have installed plastic laminate on 6~7 kitchen and bathroom counter tops
in the past 25 years and never covered the bottoms an there have been no
issues.

Just something to think about especially with these Large panels.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 01/18/2015 10:18 AM, Leon wrote:

Keep in mind that if both sides of the 3/4 and 7/8 ply are not covered
with the plastic laminate the panels could warp. Most all laminate
manufacturers advise that both sides be covered. Now having said that I
have installed plastic laminate on 6~7 kitchen and bathroom counter tops
in the past 25 years and never covered the bottoms an there have been no
issues.

Just something to think about especially with these Large panels.

I've _never_ seen a countertop w/ laminate both sides...it'd essentially
double the cost and "ain't agonna' happen!".

Counter tops are fastened down to eliminate the problem; one would
presume his purpose as bench top, etc., would do the same.

If they just sit around for a long period of time they'll bow on their
own simply from sag unless fully supported. Moisture would be something
of a lesser issue unless it's a tremendously damp environment I'd
expect, but still of some effect if were in a basement, say. Since I
see they're located in LA, it surely is going to be wet as compared to
SW KS here...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/18/2015 10:40 AM, dpb wrote:
On 01/18/2015 10:18 AM, Leon wrote:

Keep in mind that if both sides of the 3/4 and 7/8 ply are not covered
with the plastic laminate the panels could warp. Most all laminate
manufacturers advise that both sides be covered. Now having said that I
have installed plastic laminate on 6~7 kitchen and bathroom counter tops
in the past 25 years and never covered the bottoms an there have been no
issues.

Just something to think about especially with these Large panels.

I've _never_ seen a countertop w/ laminate both sides...it'd essentially
double the cost and "ain't agonna' happen!".

If you read any of the manufacturers install instructions they advise to
put the laminate on both sides. As for doubling the cost, the
manufacturers do offer a bottom side grade laminate, that is not as
thick, at a reduced cost.

Counter tops are fastened down to eliminate the problem; one would
presume his purpose as bench top, etc., would do the same.

To help eliminate the problem, I have seen counter tops warp that are on
OSB and like material. The bigger the panel the bigger the issue. Wood
products do expand and contract with climate changes even the relative
stable ones.

If they just sit around for a long period of time they'll bow on their
own simply from sag unless fully supported. Moisture would be something
of a lesser issue unless it's a tremendously damp environment I'd
expect, but still of some effect if were in a basement, say. Since I
see they're located in LA, it surely is going to be wet as compared to
SW KS here...

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 01/18/2015 11:50 AM, Leon wrote:

If you read any of the manufacturers install instructions they advise to
put the laminate on both sides. As for doubling the cost, the
manufacturers do offer a bottom side grade laminate, that is not as
thick, at a reduced cost.

No they don't...

1) Installing preformed counter--note there's nothing but the substrate
showing on the bottom as they're gluing on the edge strips and nothing
said about adding any--

www.formica.com/us/~/media/north-america/documents/products/en/shared/ftb_0832_howtocountertopinstall_en.pdf

2) Laminating a substrate surface directly instructions--

Never says a thing about doing the second side...

For a cabinet side, sure, you'll want the finished look and/or it'll
make cleaning, etc., much nicer, but for the underside of countertops,
simply put, "no"...

I'd guess you'd be hard pressed to find even one example in the wild...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Keep in mind that if both sides of the 3/4 and 7/8 ply are not covered
with the plastic laminate the panels could warp. Most all laminate
manufacturers advise that both sides be covered. Now having said
that I have installed plastic laminate on 6~7 kitchen and bathroom
counter tops in the past 25 years and never covered the bottoms an
there have been no issues.

That's exactly the question I was going to raise as I read your response.
Likely though, because the counter tops are also secured with screws from
the bottom, to the cabinet bases below. Trying to think of any cases where
I've used a laminate that was only applied to one surface, and not screwed
in like a counter...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/18/2015 1:01 PM, dpb wrote:
On 01/18/2015 11:50 AM, Leon wrote:

If you read any of the manufacturers install instructions they advise to
put the laminate on both sides. As for doubling the cost, the
manufacturers do offer a bottom side grade laminate, that is not as
thick, at a reduced cost.

No they don't...

1) Installing preformed counter--note there's nothing but the substrate
showing on the bottom as they're gluing on the edge strips and nothing
said about adding any--

www.formica.com/us/~/media/north-america/documents/products/en/shared/ftb_0832_howtocountertopinstall_en.pdf

Ok, what this refers to is a factory fabricated counter top with back
splash, a totally different material.

What the OP is considering is a 65"x70" flat sheet with plywood as the
base and no knowledge as to what prep the material has to guard against
bowing or warp.

But to be clear

From the Formica site and their Fabrication advice pdf file. Pay
particular attention to the bottom paragraph just above the link to the
PDF file.

PRE-CONDITIONING
The most important factor in achieving stability in bonded panels is the
preconditioning of core materials, surfacing and backing laminates prior
to bonding.
Pre-conditioning ensures that the effects of differential movement,
caused by the materials’ reaction to changes in relative humidity, are
minimised.
The following procedure will allow the laminates to reach equilibrium;
any subsequent movement, caused by changes in humidity, will then be
equal on each side of the bonded panel and the risk of bowing will be
greatly reduced.
Decorative laminates and core materials should be conditioned before
bonding so that all materials reach equilibrium and are neither too dry
nor too damp, the latter being most important at the time of pressing.
Optimum conditions are best achieved in a dry storage area (about 20°C
and 50-60% Relative Air Humidity).

The sheets that will form the opposite faces of the same composite board
are best conditioned as a pair, with their sanded backs together. Sheets
paired in this manner should be stacked, covered, and left for a minimum
period of three days in order to reach moisture equilibrium. This will
ensure that they achieve near identical moisture contents prior to so
that bonding, and any subsequent dimensional movements will therefore be
similar in both magnitude and direction on each side of the composite panel.

Wood-based core materials should have a moisture content of around 9%.
The moisture content of laminates cannot be measured with a normal
moisture meter, but it is essential that the face laminate has the same
moisture content as the corresponding backing board.
If the composite boards are to be exposed to constant low relative
humidity in their subsequent application (e.g. radiator casings), the
laminates and core materials should be pre-conditioned in warm dry
conditions for a suitable period in order to pre-shrink the materials
and so avoid any subsequent shrinkage stresses.

Panels and boards faced with decorative laminate will nearly always be
required to have the reverse side faced with a similar material to
counter-balance the effects of dimensional changes that may take place

http://www.formica.com/uk/~/media/em...de_english.pdf.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 01/18/2015 2:39 PM, Leon wrote:
,,,

Panels and boards faced with decorative laminate will nearly always be
required to have the reverse side faced with a similar material to
counter-balance the effects of dimensional changes that may take place

Yeah, that's what I said...that is _not_ a counter top.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 10:38:05 -0800 (PST)
Sonny wrote:

Got a call back and spoke with the guy, at length. He's a commercial
contractor, moving his warehouse to here... so I don't have to travel
35 miles to his old warehouse, where the pic was taken.

Sounds like no matter what you'll find stuff you need that he doesn't
gotta like those situations

Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to Electric Comet , Twouguictim wrote:
I am interested in buying a Makita LS 1016L Compound miter saw.. Is this a
worthy thing to buy?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, January 18, 2015 at 4:38:41 PM UTC-6, Electric Comet wrote:

Sounds like no matter what you'll find stuff you need that he doesn't
gotta like those situations

Not that I definitely had an immediate use for these panels, but I could see the potential of having nice formica panels for possble use. The idea was, if the formica was already applied to a good substrate, then these panels should be a pretty good bargain and I was to grab them, while the grabbing is good.... and especially at this cheap price.

The more I've thought about them, the more ideas, for use, I've had.

If bought, I wouldn't expect to use them in their present size... I'd cut them to more reasonable, useable sizes. As is, I'm sure they are heavy as heck.
1) The bathroom, at the farm, needs a sink/vanity, hence a countertop.
2) The porch area, at the farm, has a proposed sink area (cooking area), which would need a countertop.
3) My shop could use another, more narrow, outfeed table for the jointer and planer.
4) The recent bandsaw purchase might could use infeed & outfeed (fold up-down?) tables, especially for resawing lengthy lumber, which is the main reason why I bought this large bandsaw.
5) My youngest brother lives at the family's old homestead house. He is updating the wiring, for insurance purposes, and doing a few other updates, like replacing the bathroom cabinet/vanity/countertop. He wants a panel, if they are appropriate.

I don't anticipate whole-scale shopping for lots of other supplies, but the composite boards are of interest. I have no idea what he may ask for them.. I do/may have an immediate use for 8"(?) wide boards.... I'd need about 300 linear ft. Comparatively, 3/4" X 8" X 12' PVC, at Lowes, is $50 a board; similar size composite boards are $70 each.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

The guy's name is Ed. Among other things, Ed's company installs commercial bathroom stalls, which was what the large panels were for, stall walls. Some other company manufactures the panels and Ed orders them, to spec, for installation. The panels had formica on both sides and all edges. On the phone, Ed told me the substrate was plywood.... At the warehouse, he said MDF.

He had stall doors w/ & w/o the hinge & latch hardware. The doors are 27"W X 58"L, just about perfect for infeed/outfeed or side tables, or for a bathroom vanity. I bought 6 w/o hardware, for $12 each. The notches/slots were not yet cut out, for the hinges/latchs hardware, so the edges were smooth/intact.

The composite boards were few and random widths. I passed on those.

Some time ago, our office building had some storm damage, roof leaked (kinna old roof, anyway), damaging the suspended ceiling tiles. The roof was recently repaired and we need some replacement ceiling tile. The guy had about 20 cases of 2'X4' tiles. I have a panel, to see if it matches our office's tiles. He wants $5 per case, for the tiles.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/19/2015 5:04 PM, Sonny wrote:
[...]

$5 per case is pretty good I think.
I did my basement in the 2x4 tiles and they were somewhere around $26 -
27 in 1999.

Not sure where they are now in price.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/19/2015 4:04 PM, Sonny wrote:
The guy's name is Ed. Among other things, Ed's company installs commercial bathroom stalls, which was what the large panels were for, stall walls. Some other company manufactures the panels and Ed orders them, to spec, for installation. The panels had formica on both sides and all edges. On the phone, Ed told me the substrate was plywood.... At the warehouse, he said MDF.

Laminate on both sides, good!

He had stall doors w/ & w/o the hinge & latch hardware. The doors are 27"W X 58"L, just about perfect for infeed/outfeed or side tables, or for a bathroom vanity. I bought 6 w/o hardware, for $12 each. The notches/slots were not yet cut out, for the hinges/latchs hardware, so the edges were smooth/intact.

The composite boards were few and random widths. I passed on those.

Some time ago, our office building had some storm damage, roof leaked (kinna old roof, anyway), damaging the suspended ceiling tiles. The roof was recently repaired and we need some replacement ceiling tile. The guy had about 20 cases of 2'X4' tiles. I have a panel, to see if it matches our office's tiles. He wants $5 per case, for the tiles.

Sonny

Recommended Architect john east UK diy 12 January 12th 12 07:03 PM
DG company - recommended Harry Bloomfield[_3_] UK diy 0 August 11th 11 05:07 PM
Recommended screw ? Arthur 51 UK diy 6 April 10th 10 01:55 AM
To Whoever Recommended SuperLube.... -MIKE- Woodworking 0 March 28th 09 02:27 AM
Speaker surround re-foaming - any recommended or not-recommended suppliers? Bob F Electronics Repair 0 December 12th 08 12:44 AM