Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Recommended screw ?

Hi.
I will be fixing 22mm kronospan to heavy joists this weekend.
I hate using the countersink bit so I want to try the self
countersinking screws.
What size and brand should I look for?

Thanks.

Arthur
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 9, 11:36*am, Arthur 51 wrote:
Hi.
I will be fixing 22mm kronospan to heavy joists this weekend.
I hate using the countersink bit so I want to try the self
countersinking screws.
What size and brand should I look for?

Thanks.

Arthur

Which kronospan product? If its chipboard, vanilla 2" countersunk
screws will countersink themselves no problem.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur 51 wrote:
Hi.
I will be fixing 22mm kronospan to heavy joists this weekend.
I hate using the countersink bit so I want to try the self
countersinking screws.
What size and brand should I look for?

You need - IMO a screw three times the thickness of the material, so 66mm -
60mm in practice. I'd go for 4mm.

You simply cannot beat Screwfix Turbo Gold IMO.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
news
Arthur 51 wrote:
Hi.
I will be fixing 22mm kronospan to heavy joists this weekend.
I hate using the countersink bit so I want to try the self
countersinking screws.
What size and brand should I look for?

You need - IMO a screw three times the thickness of the material, so
66mm - 60mm in practice. I'd go for 4mm.

You simply cannot beat Screwfix Turbo Gold IMO.

Thanks.
I found some 70mm x 4mm 'R2..' things at the local timber yard
which worked easy peasy.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message
On Apr 9, 11:36 am, Arthur 51 wrote:
Hi.
I will be fixing 22mm kronospan to heavy joists this weekend.
I hate using the countersink bit so I want to try the self
countersinking screws.
What size and brand should I look for?

Thanks.

Arthur

Which kronospan product? If its chipboard, vanilla 2" countersunk
screws will countersink themselves no problem.

I would not use standard wood screws on anything .... technology has
evolved.

If it is chipboard then standard Goldscrews will self countersink.
They will also drive in a lot easier.

Length should be 3 x thickness of material ... 65mm long or 70mm

so good choice would be 5 x 70

i.e: something like this from Screwfix product 16221
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...h_search=16221

if material is a bit harder than chipboard the use self countersinking heads
... screwfix 52972
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...h_search=52972

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur 51 wrote:
Hi.
I will be fixing 22mm kronospan to heavy joists this weekend.
I hate using the countersink bit so I want to try the self
countersinking screws.
What size and brand should I look for?

You need - IMO a screw three times the thickness of the material, so
66mm - 60mm in practice. *I'd go for 4mm.

You simply cannot beat Screwfix Turbo Gold IMO.

Thanks.
I found some 70mm x 4mm 'R2..' things at the local timber yard
which worked easy peasy.

Arthur

I dont think I've ever seen chp floor held down with 3" screws, but
theyll work ok. Will just be more work to do.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 10, 1:07*am, "Rick Hughes"
wrote:
"NT" wrote in message

On Apr 9, 11:36 am, Arthur 51 wrote:

Hi.
I will be fixing 22mm kronospan to heavy joists this weekend.
I hate using the countersink bit so I want to try the self
countersinking screws.
What size and brand should I look for?

Thanks.

Arthur

Which kronospan product? If its chipboard, vanilla 2" countersunk
screws will countersink themselves no problem.

I would not use standard wood screws on anything .... technology has
evolved.

ditto, I was thinking PB screws. Really any pointy coarse screw will
work though.

NT