Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Roll-around toolbox

It's common in a machine shop for a workman to have a full toolbox he
moves to his job (on a large stationary tool). Big rollaround carts
are the norm.

But this guy has it worked out for his cabinetmaking...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgwmV_qNr_Y

using what appears to be a common Home Depot item, #I-IMCNAT,
as his chassis.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/8/2015 5:39 PM, whit3rd wrote:
It's common in a machine shop for a workman to have a full toolbox he
moves to his job (on a large stationary tool). Big rollaround carts
are the norm.

But this guy has it worked out for his cabinetmaking...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgwmV_qNr_Y

using what appears to be a common Home Depot item, #I-IMCNAT,
as his chassis.

While he has a much larger shop than I, it looks like he has his shop
set up as I have mine. Everything is on wheels, and can be rolled into
the best configuration to accomplish the task at hand.

While not as big, my workbench is on wheels. Under the workspace there
area two shelves for tools. In each end of the workbench there are two
cupboards where I keep frequently used tools.

The work bench was built to a height that allows me to use it as an out
feed table for my table saw. A
he workbench. (I make my wife's picture frames so do a lot of repetitive
cuts) Pick up the piece, make the cut, and place it down on the
workbench, without moving. Other times the work bench serves the same
purpose when using the drill press or bench grinder.

At other time it can be rolled in front of the car so every thing is
convenient when working on the car.

Since everything is on wheels, If I am working on large or long pieces,
I can back out the cars and move the saw and workbench to have the whole
garage to accommodate the pieces being worked on.

When my brother and I built a boat in the garage, we moved the saw and
workbench up next to the part of the boat we were working on.

It is a very convenient arrangement
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/8/2015 4:39 PM, whit3rd wrote:
It's common in a machine shop for a workman to have a full toolbox he
moves to his job (on a large stationary tool). Big rollaround carts
are the norm.

But this guy has it worked out for his cabinetmaking...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgwmV_qNr_Y

using what appears to be a common Home Depot item, #I-IMCNAT,
as his chassis.

also on a smaller scale,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omaAo--jAa8
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 8 Jan 2015 14:39:26 -0800 (PST)
whit3rd wrote:

It's common in a machine shop for a workman to have a full toolbox he
moves to his job (on a large stationary tool). Big rollaround carts
are the norm.

I like that and I wish I had the room for it, it's too big for my space.
The idea of labeling is good. Even for a one man shop.

I am putting wheels on a metal cabinet I found for $2. The wheels cost
more than the cabinet.
I like mobile so I can rearrange as needed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/9/2015 10:59 AM, Leon wrote:
On 1/8/2015 4:39 PM, whit3rd wrote:
It's common in a machine shop for a workman to have a full toolbox he
moves to his job (on a large stationary tool). Big rollaround carts
are the norm.

But this guy has it worked out for his cabinetmaking...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgwmV_qNr_Y

using what appears to be a common Home Depot item, #I-IMCNAT,
as his chassis.

also on a smaller scale,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omaAo--jAa8

Neither are my preference.
Especially the SNubs POC.

Both seem a lot inconvienent.. but that's my opinion.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10 Jan 2015 04:31:43 GMT
Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

I found drawings of most of my tools on Sketchup (using similar ones
if something wasn't available, a 6" jointer isn't going to be much
different model-to-model), drew things like shelves, and then
arranged everything until I found a setup that worked.

Sometimes you can use infeed/outfeed space for multiple tools'
infeed/outfeed space. Othertimes you can line up dead space on the
tool, like the back of the jointer and side of the planer, to
minimize the amount of dead space.

I don't know sketchup, may have to look. Haven't finished the drywall
yet so still in that stage of doing work and finishing the space.

But I'm getting a better idea of where to put things as I go.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote in news:m8uk99$8fi$1
@dont-email.me:

On 10 Jan 2015 04:31:43 GMT
Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

I found drawings of most of my tools on Sketchup (using similar ones
if something wasn't available, a 6" jointer isn't going to be much
different model-to-model), drew things like shelves, and then
arranged everything until I found a setup that worked.

Sometimes you can use infeed/outfeed space for multiple tools'
infeed/outfeed space. Othertimes you can line up dead space on the
tool, like the back of the jointer and side of the planer, to
minimize the amount of dead space.

I don't know sketchup, may have to look. Haven't finished the drywall
yet so still in that stage of doing work and finishing the space.

But I'm getting a better idea of where to put things as I go.

It's worth a look. It took me a couple hours to get to the point where I
was able to show someone something I sketched and discuss the details of
it. It won't be too long until you stop /using Sketchup/ and start
/drawing a thing/.

Plus the basic version (which does everything I need) is free.

Sometimes it's easier to design using 2D methods (Pen and paper, Visio)
then import or redraw into Sketchup 3D. If all you're doing is a floor
layout, the third dimension sometimes gets in the way.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11 Jan 2015 21:36:37 GMT, Puckdropper

:

[...]

That's a key distinction with Sketchup. It wasn't until I "got" the
idea that it's a 3-D modeling tool, rather than a CAD program, that it
all sunk in.

Plus the basic version (which does everything I need) is free.

Sometimes it's easier to design using 2D methods (Pen and paper, Visio)
then import or redraw into Sketchup 3D. If all you're doing is a floor
layout, the third dimension sometimes gets in the way.

Sure. Sketchup is specifically designed to be a 3-D modeling program.
I've run into problems trying to force a 2-D layout.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote:
On 10 Jan 2015 04:31:43 GMT
Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

I found drawings of most of my tools on Sketchup (using similar ones
if something wasn't available, a 6" jointer isn't going to be much
different model-to-model), drew things like shelves, and then
arranged everything until I found a setup that worked.

Sometimes you can use infeed/outfeed space for multiple tools'
infeed/outfeed space. Othertimes you can line up dead space on the
tool, like the back of the jointer and side of the planer, to
minimize the amount of dead space.

I don't know sketchup, may have to look. Haven't finished the drywall
yet so still in that stage of doing work and finishing the space.

But I'm getting a better idea of where to put things as I go.

Sketchup is a great tool and there are many here who have great amounts of
wisdom in how to use it, but - it's a tool. It does not work the same way
for every mind and eye. Some of us do not get the same thing out of a
sketchup drawing as others do. Some of the things that sketchup is
recommended for are things that the common eye can envision, or a little
thought can devine. Look at your space, think about it, and if it's
confusing - well maybe a tool like sketchup might help, but it should not be
a run-to tool for simple planning and thoughts like this. Sometimes a tape
measure and a couple of hours of mulling through things is just as
effective;

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/11/2015 4:36 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
[...]

I don't use Shetchup much, and find the 3D effect is more of a hassle
than it is worth for the drawing that I do.

However the last time I used it I found that I could get a 2d drawing by
rotating the "Y" axis so it points directly at the user.

For quick rough drawings it is simpler to use a paper and a pencil.

Dassault.Systemes.P3.CATIA.V5R17, GibbsCAM.2006.v8.0.17, Copra Roll Forming v2007, Ubeco Profil Roll Form v4.3, Mazak CPC, FANUC Robotics Simulation, Lantek, AMADA, other ... kashumoto_tokugawa UK diy 1 November 10th 06 07:18 PM
Building the roll part of a roll top desk [email protected] Woodworking 3 July 24th 06 02:26 PM
Refinishing roll part of roll top desk [email protected] Woodworking 3 June 2nd 06 02:31 PM
KID'S TOOLBOX J T Woodworking 0 March 6th 06 04:11 PM
OT - Toolbox Cliff Metalworking 6 September 18th 05 12:52 AM