Posted to rec.woodworking

Default African Mahogany - Bent Laminations.

Does anyone have experience using African Mahogany for bent laminations?

If so, how does it work out?

I realize that "African Mahogany" can be any of several species.

Thanks.
Joel
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

Does anyone have experience using African Mahogany for bent laminations?

If so, how does it work out?

I realize that "African Mahogany" can be any of several species.

I haven't used any for years and it isn't as springy as, say, white oak
but it should be fine, Either Khaya ivorensis or the other khaya, no
experience with sapele or sipo.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/8/2015 5:11 AM, dadiOH wrote:
wrote in message

Does anyone have experience using African Mahogany for bent laminations?

If so, how does it work out?

I realize that "African Mahogany" can be any of several species.

I haven't used any for years and it isn't as springy as, say, white oak
but it should be fine, Either Khaya ivorensis or the other khaya, no
experience with sapele or sipo.

I used it quite a bit in my previous sailboat for laminated table and
shelf fiddles, water stops at the bottom of bulkheads, etc .
Tightest curve was about 9 inch radius.

If done carefully, it works fine.
Grain is sometimes a bit squirrelly.

I used West 105 for adhesive and top seal, then varnished 6 or more
coats of clear gloss varnish (what ever it took to fill the grain),
then a spray on coat of satin. Phenomenal results!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, January 8, 2015 9:55:55 AM UTC-6, Richard wrote:

If done carefully, it works fine.
Grain is sometimes a bit squirrelly.

Air dried stock or kiln dried?

I once tried laminating kiln dried walnut, 1/8" laminates, into a slight bow, for a front chair seat frame rail. At least half of the laminates broke or split, in some fashion, and the remaining didn't laminate very well, either.... even after soaking a second and third batch of laminates in hot water for a good long time (hours). I had selected my straightest grain of stock, to cut the laminates - 1.25" wide & 2' long. I ended up (bandsaw) cutting the rail from 1.5X4 stock, rather than laminating.

I'm not sure if it was me (approach & technique) or the wood, but I've since not had much confidence in laminating kiln dried wood.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/8/2015 1:02 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Thursday, January 8, 2015 9:55:55 AM UTC-6, Richard wrote:

If done carefully, it works fine.
Grain is sometimes a bit squirrelly.

Air dried stock or kiln dried?

I once tried laminating kiln dried walnut, 1/8" laminates, into a slight bow, for a front chair seat frame rail. At least half of the laminates broke or split, in some fashion, and the remaining didn't laminate very well, either.... even after soaking a second and third batch of laminates in hot water for a good long time (hours). I had selected my straightest grain of stock, to cut the laminates - 1.25" wide& 2' long. I ended up (bandsaw) cutting the rail from 1.5X4 stock, rather than laminating.

I'm not sure if it was me (approach& technique) or the wood, but I've since not had much confidence in laminating kiln dried wood.

Sonny

I don't know how it was dried, Sonny.
But I had no problems with 1/8 and 3/16 laminations.

Bent Laminations Teamcasa Woodworking 15 October 16th 06 01:22 AM
Bent Laminations J. Clarke Woodworking 2 October 14th 06 05:50 AM
Bent Laminations MikeG Woodworking 0 October 13th 06 09:33 AM
Bent Laminations Lew Hodgett Woodworking 0 October 13th 06 05:38 AM
African Mahogany finishing JPEracing Woodworking 4 January 10th 04 12:44 PM