Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bent Laminations

"alexy" wrote in message
I am getting ready to do a bent lamination, and have questions about
adhesives and springback.

I have heard that urea formaldehyde or plastic resin glue is the best
to use for this application because of the long open time and lack of
creep once set. I am having a hard time finding it, though. I can get
a gallon from Highland Woodworking but because of its relatively short
shelf life, I would end up throwing away 95% of it. Anyone know a good
source for small quantities (Atlanta area desired, but online source
okay, too) or whether another type of glue would work as well. My
application is not load-bearing, and in fact will be "captured" by
another structure. I'm laminating 4 pieces of 1/8" thick poplar for
edge banding of the inside of an elliptical arch cut in plywood.

I have a form for bending my lamination, that I made slightly
undersize, anticipating that there will be some "springback" when the
lamination is removed from the form. Anyone have any ideas or formulas
for estimating how much that will be in advance, or is it just a case
of trial and error?
--
Alex -- Replace "nospam" with "mail" to reply by email. Checked
infrequently.

Dap makes a powdered version of urea formaldehyde or plastic resin glue .
You mix up the quantity needed for the task at hand. here is one example...

http://www.hardwareworld.com/Lb-Plas...e-p38H29K.aspx

I found some at my local Ace store.

MikeG

Bent Laminations J. Clarke Woodworking 2 October 14th 06 05:50 AM
Bent Laminations Lew Hodgett Woodworking 0 October 13th 06 05:38 AM
Cleaning rust from transformer laminations? Christopher Tidy Metalworking 62 January 19th 06 02:58 PM
bent bit or wrecked router? Ray Woodworking 0 January 9th 05 11:11 PM
First time bent lamination (kinda long) Slowhand Woodworking 11 April 30th 04 01:07 PM