Posted to rec.woodworking

Default White Fuzz on Cedar wood???

Mike, I've been wondering about this for years. I've stored stacks of aromatic cedar in their original boxes in my basement, ready to finally use some. They all have a lot of the white crystals and white powder. (the boxes are also soaked with cedar oil)

The white is removed easily by mechanical force. it's just a matter of finding the best brush. My question is: Do you think to they could be harmful IF breathed because they are spores I plan on using a vacuum the conjunction with the brush.

I'm also considering a light sanding to bring up the aroma.Thanks a million for your post. Jack
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, January 6, 2015 6:30:57 PM UTC-6, G. Ross wrote:

Eastern Red Cedar wood will lose some of it's volatile components with
time, and some of them will crystallize on the surface. Just brush
them off. Try using the brush attachment on a vacuum cleaner.

Right. And Mike said - under certain conditions, the "chemicals" will melt, then crystalize - then he comments about temps as high as 85 to 92 degree C, somewhat implying the crystalization is dependent on high temps. I think that's misleading, but he's being brief, for answering the initial question or concern of the poster.

Crystalization is not dependent on higher temps. The crystals can form at room temps. As I see/experience most of my rough cut ER cedar, once the resin is exposed to air, it will readily "crystalize". As I assume is happening, the resin, inside the wood, remains fluid, like mercury in a thermometer. Once it becomes exposed, then only certain, of the chemicals, making up the resin, will crystalize. I think, as GW says, once the volatiles of the fluid evaporate, then the remaining "solids" will crystalize or dry in crystal-like form.

In the dense wood areas, like knots and really tight grain areas, the "sap" seeps out and, often, doesn't dry completely.... it remains really gummy, somewhat hard taffy-like. That gum has to be scraped off, not sanded.

This oozing of sap can be seen on live trees, also, where there might be damage to the tree or some sort of exposure of the inner bark, allowing the sap to ooze out and hardens, begins to harden. If you've ever climbed a cedar tree, it's not uncommon to get some of this sap on yourself and it doesn't wash off easily, either.

I've done lots of projects with ER cedar, often times working outdoors in good sunlight. If you ever do a project, don't expose a planed board or your pre-finished (prepped, ready to apply finish) project to direct sunlight. Slight temps rises, slight heating, by even a little direct sunlight, will cause the resin to move (like mercury in a thermometer). You'll hear small popping sounds, as the wood heats up... it doesn't take much heating ..... and you'll know it's too much, because you'll hear the popping sounds. This will be the precursor to those crystals starting to form and, if the exposure is long enough, you'll have to resand the board or project. Many times, until I learned better, I'd have to resand a project, before I learn not expose it to sunlight, that way.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hi My name is Jaime and I googled €ś I bought cedar and it started to turn white€ť thats how I got to your chat to start reading.... Im finding this to be very interesting because for a few years now I have been battling something of which I dont know but has caused me Havoc in my life .... I live across the street from a farm and woods behind my house also have a man made lake little further into the woods... I have been to so many drs and they all think Im having severe anxiety attacks but I know what I see I have pretty good eye sight and a microscope but I dont know what it is Im even looking for I thought maybe a bug of some sort then I thought mold or even both.... however I have bought cedar a few times from the store to put into closets to keep moths n such away in all the years I have bought cedar Ive never had this happen when I open the package the cedar starts to turn white tiny black dots and something that almost resembles glitter or iridescent white almost spider web looking or hair like I have seen things in my home that move but not in any way fast and not a lot but its definitly moving I have heard the popping crackling in my bed and my bedding feels like something is moving under me... I sleep w a heating pad a lot due to cramps and back pain and the fact that my husband likes the fan on and I freeze.... I have felt in in my car and I almost feel like either its in my water or in my vents because it has gotten out of control.... I have washed everything in my house in hot or warm water to try n kill what ever this is and its not working rubbing alcohol seems to make it react.... I have been seeing an allergist for 2 yrs now n get shots every week due to not being g able to breathe wake up choking and an inhaler now coughing and breathing seems to get worse and skin rashes or blisters that itch intesley get really red then w in a day a bulls eye white pus or something forms dead center.... after a while I started to log what was happening that was the same everytime it would get really active and at first I thought it keeps happening on wed or thurs most of the time so I thought my shots may have been contributing missed my shots on purpose for 3 weeks and still kept happening then I realized it was humid had rained was about to rain raining and even when it snowed it also seems to happen mostly at night.... my clothing in some of my shoes are ruined from whatever this is it seems to tunnel kinda like ants I guess or even a spider these very fine hair like things are what I keep finding along with white or black dots tiny tiny lol things I got a 60 xs microscope n I still cant always make out what it is the ones I can see look like a ball of fuzzies or thread like maybe something in the middle but its so small Im not equipped to try n see if there is only recently has my one son been getting bit or whatever it is and it seems to have started on the scalp and arms lower legs face neck then back usually a few scattered or sometimes just one big one.... I know Im not crazy Im ready to have someone come out to test the air quality in my home but its a few thousand dollars... I have already spent so much on exterminators drs over the counter meds it is almost driving me out of my home.... I went to the er once because of this and while they had me wait 5 hrs I was the last patient the dr smiled in said their are a lot of people like me ( was very rude and I felt belittled) I told him I know it sounds crazy but its not like I said there were aliens or something going to invaid and attack us or I was talking to people that arent there ..... I was saying something that Could really happen maybe a bug maybe some kind of bacteria or mold I dont know and everyone just wants to write me off with stress anxiety or chiggers or allergy to dog n cat or dust mites to detergent but I use the same thing Ive always used ... while at the er my mom said Jaime your boob is leaking something and I looked down my bra and shirt was wet with some sort of oil wet like substance but didnt smell of anything I cut open my bra to see if it was something vs puts in the bras to make them push up and it was just foam....dr had no explanation for that though.... when I washed the shirt oil was gone .... Im at the point where it is driving me crazy n I need to know exactly what this is..... Im afraid it is really gonna cause some harm to me n my family eventually because my coughing is getting worse yet when Im not home Im ok for the most part unless its raining or humid when it gets really hot out and Im sweating too.... please if you can help me at all Im not gonna stop until I have good evidence backing up my answer cause the oh its this or oh it could be that isnt helping me I cant kill the source if I dont know what Im dealing with... wasting time energy money its very frustrating and upsetting to know that I have never lied to my family n friends and Im not one that likes attention drawn to me Espescially like this I would never want my once beautiful face and body scared and like this and now having to get shots every week and sleep w an inhaler and something living in my bed clothes couches carpet no sorry Id rather not have any attention on me at all its embarrasing n why would I want to tell people I think I have bugs in my home when twice had my house bombed and still hasnt killed what ever this is.... any help or brainstorming is appreciated. Thanks I hope you can help.
Jaime

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jaime wrote:

[...]

https://cdn.someecards.com/someecard...34_7159248.png

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, February 25, 2018 at 8:38:25 AM UTC-6, Dr Phil wrote:

https://cdn.someecards.com/someecard...34_7159248.png

That may be a valid reply.

When you're away from home, symptoms are relieved, unless it's humid or raining? I doubt humidity/rain has anything to do with it. The cedar wood (resin) is not likely the cause, either.

Have you bought new furniture (mattress?) and, since, have been having these issues? Might be the foam in the furniture, that you're reacting to. I would suppose your allergist has ruled out a wool allergy cause, as well...... if not, maybe go get a second opinion.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sounds like bedbugs to me