Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: Reflections

Scott Lurndal wrote:
"Mike Marlow" writes:
Scott Lurndal wrote:

This requires a cite. California imports 10% from the northwest
(the bulk of that is hydro), and 20% from the southwest (of which
30% comes from coal). The remaining 70% is generated in-state. Note
that the drought has increased the draw from out-of-state due
to a 36% drop in in-state hydro in 2012 and a further 10% drop in
2013. The shutdown of San Onofre has also increased imports.

http://energyalmanac.ca.gov/electric...tem_power.html

Geezus - do we really need a thread of californianians defending
california in a woodworking group? Let california do what it wants
to do and let its people be happy with anything the state decides to
do. Let the stupid californians stop preaching to the rest of the
country about their brain dead decisions of how to deal with their
brain dead self-inflicted problems, and everyone else can just move
on.

Typical ad hominem attack. You can't attack the message, you
must attack the messenger. Poor debating technique, and
poor manners. Name calling is for grade school.

Scott - I was not attacking the messenger - no ad hominem attack in what I
said. I think the people out there have the right to decide what they want
to do. I was just voicing my opinion on the california mindset and the
regulations they come up with. You could suggest I keep my opinions to
myself and that would be a very valid opinion on your part, but you are
reading into what I expressed by seeing an ad hominem attack.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" writes:
Scott Lurndal wrote:
"Mike Marlow" writes:
Scott Lurndal wrote:

[...]

as will be. but note "stupid californians" and "brain-dead" go beyond
simple disagreement, and indeed are patently false characterizations.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 06 Jan 2015 08:27:35 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 1/5/2015 10:53 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 1/5/2015 12:49 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Martin Eastburn" wrote:

Gas is Gas, Taxes are added to the Gas. Isn't that the point ?

Tax was once so many cents per gallon. Now it is a percentage of
the Dollar amount. SO the tax man is crying - less money with
lower gas prices. His/her only hope is volume is up high enough to
compensate.
Sorry but gas taxes are still so many cents per gallon at all levels
of gov't.

The tax man has two reasons to cry.

Car efficiencies are up, thus fewer gallons are burned.

Overall demand is down.

Lew

Here in NJ they talked about taxing electric vehichles during
registration because they use the road but don't pay as much in taxes
due to the better gas mileage.

It's all about the money here.

Exactly. Choose an alternative fuel and the government is going to tax
it too.

As they should. As long as the road taxes are used only on the roads,
I really don't care what they are.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 6 Jan 2015 15:46:50 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy
wrote:

woodchucker wrote in news:3dGdnatmucSm9zbJnZ2dnUU7-
:

Here in NJ they talked about taxing electric vehichles during
registration because they use the road but don't pay as much in taxes
due to the better gas mileage.

It's all about the money here.

Well, in fairness, someone has to pay for the roads. I don't
see that electric vehicles should get a free ride.

The trick, of course, is to proportion the burden fairly (*),
and to make sure the politicos actually spend the tax money
for the purpose it was intended (i.e. roads).

+2

(* currently it's not that way, with motorcycles paying a
disproportionally high amount, and heavy trucks paying
disproportionally low. In the case of trucks it's usually
said to be justified since trucks are essential to the
economy. I'm not sure what the justification is for
motorcycles, other than there's not enough of them for
anyone to care).

Correct, though if they taxed trucks for road wear, you'd just pay
more at the store (not that that's necessarily bad either).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 06 Jan 2015 08:31:20 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 1/4/2015 11:57 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Back then gas was not an issue, I was driving a 4 cyl VW Diesel
Rabbit;
however, do remember gas being less than $0.90/gal in the early
90's.

John McCoy wrote:

According to this site:

http://energyalmanac.ca.gov/gasoline..._adjusted.html

your memory is off just a tad. It says gas in CA was les than
0.90 in 86-88. I was surprised, between the taxes and the
special low-smog blends required there, I would have thought
gas prices were always well over a dollar.

1) I didn't arrive in CA until 1990. Might want to verify your source.

2) It's not that expensive to clean up after yourself.

Really, IIRC California is one of the most expensive places to do
anything. What do you suppose makes California a more expensive place
to live.

Californians.