Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Digital Router Fence System

Lee Valley is selling a digital router fence system. CNC on the cheap!

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...21&cat=51&ap=1
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 05:14:06 -0500, wrote:

Lee Valley is selling a digital router fence system. CNC on the cheap!

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...21&cat=51&ap=1

Cheaper yet on the US page
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...21&cat=1,43000

I can see some uses for it. I'd just not use it enough to justify the
money though.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/28/2014 5:14 AM, wrote:

Lee Valley is selling a digital router fence system. CNC on the cheap!

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...21&cat=51&ap=1

Same one Rockler was selling probably.

I'm not impressed.
If I want CNC, I would buy CNC. That's not something I would buy.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in news:5rlv9ad801m551m650uq0vli0sesn8iao7@
4ax.com:

Lee Valley is selling a digital router fence system. CNC on the cheap!

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...21&cat=51&ap=1

I wouldn't call it CNC. It's just a digital router fence.

If you're interested in CNC on the cheap, take a look at the Silhouette
Cameo. It's almost, but not quite, CNC for less than $200. It only cuts
extremely thin materials and scribes thicker ones, but maxes out around
..040".

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/28/2014 5:19 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
wrote in news:5rlv9ad801m551m650uq0vli0sesn8iao7@
4ax.com:

Lee Valley is selling a digital router fence system. CNC on the cheap!

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...21&cat=51&ap=1

I wouldn't call it CNC. It's just a digital router fence.

If you're interested in CNC on the cheap, take a look at the Silhouette
Cameo. It's almost, but not quite, CNC for less than $200. It only cuts
extremely thin materials and scribes thicker ones, but maxes out around
.040".

Puckdropper

Not all that practical in the woodshop where a lot of cuts would be .750
thick material

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

Not all that practical in the woodshop where a lot of cuts would be
.750 thick material

True. It's usefulness would be limited to templates in the the woodshop.
If you're looking for just CNC, that's basically what you get. For cheap
woodshop CNC, you'll have to keep looking.

I've wondered if you could attach a spinning cutter instead of the blade,
but haven't really pursued that.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/28/14, 3:19 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
wrote in news:5rlv9ad801m551m650uq0vli0sesn8iao7@
4ax.com:

Lee Valley is selling a digital router fence system. CNC on the cheap!

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...21&cat=51&ap=1

I wouldn't call it CNC. It's just a digital router fence.

If you're interested in CNC on the cheap, take a look at the Silhouette
Cameo. It's almost, but not quite, CNC for less than $200. It only cuts
extremely thin materials and scribes thicker ones, but maxes out around
.040".

Puckdropper

My wife just got one of those for her glass work (to make templates). I
look at it as being one of those HP pen plotters with a knife installed
instead of the pen (probably uses a similar vector graphics interface).

Time will tell since it is really the software that determines how
useful something like this will be.

-BR

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 29 Dec 2014 07:57:19 -0700, Brewster wrote:

My wife just got one of those for her glass work (to make templates). I
look at it as being one of those HP pen plotters with a knife installed
instead of the pen (probably uses a similar vector graphics interface).

Back in the dark ages of computing, Calcomp fitted a cutter to one of
their large flatbed pen plotters and we used it to cut out circuit
diagrams at 100 times actual size which were then photo reduced.

If you think getting an exact depth with a router bit is a pain, try
adjusting a cutter to cut through a film a few thousandth thick but not
through the clear substrate below it which wasn't much thicker!
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Lee Valley is selling a digital router fence system. CNC on the cheap!

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...21&cat=51&ap=1

Cheap is relative and for me that's not cheap at all.
I looked at it and am I right that all it does is move the fence?
I must be missing something else about that system.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Lee Valley is selling a digital router fence system. CNC on the cheap!

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...21&cat=51&ap=1

Cheap is relative and for me that's not cheap at all.
I looked at it and am I right that all it does is move the fence?
I must be missing something else about that system.

I think the CNC reference was more in jest as it is far from a real CNC
setup. But. . . it does do a simple function accurately and
repetitively. I can think of uses for it, just not enough for me to
justify the price.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Brewster wrote in
:

On 12/28/14, 3:19 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

I wouldn't call it CNC. It's just a digital router fence.

If you're interested in CNC on the cheap, take a look at the
Silhouette Cameo. It's almost, but not quite, CNC for less than
$200. It only cuts extremely thin materials and scribes thicker
ones, but maxes out around .040".

Puckdropper

My wife just got one of those for her glass work (to make templates).
I look at it as being one of those HP pen plotters with a knife
installed instead of the pen (probably uses a similar vector graphics
interface).

Time will tell since it is really the software that determines how
useful something like this will be.

-BR

You can use something other than Silhouette Studio if you want to. I use
CadStd to do my drawing, then export it as DXF and convert it to the
proprietary SD card format. I don't know if other software like Make The
Cut (tm) can save things to the SD card.

If the device is connected to the PC, there's the option of a printer
drive that you can install and basically "print" directly from just about
any program.

You can call it many things... two axis CNC, a plotter, a die cutter, a
printer with a blade (people seem to understand that). Call it late for
dinner if you want, on a compliated drawing it'll be busy anyway. :-)

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

REQ: Router fence and Router lift articles SeeAll Woodworking 1 December 24th 05 07:38 PM
Jointech Fence System V.S. Incra LS Super System ScRaPLeR Woodworking 6 October 12th 05 12:38 AM
Digital readout router O D Woodworking 2 September 1st 05 06:14 AM
Which router fence Andrew Crabtree Woodworking 11 July 7th 05 02:04 PM
TS fence use with router Rob Mitchell Woodworking 12 January 21st 05 12:47 PM