Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Benchdog router table insert :(

Tied to install a BenchDog router table insert on my tablesaw tonight. The
SOB is heavy I'll say that for it, and it had a good coating of cosmoline
over it.

bitch on Open the package see several different sizes of bolts (grade 8
no less) for mounting. That's good at least they had the forsight to see
that different flavors of saws want different size bolts. Look in package
but no nuts. How much more expense / trouble would it have been to supply
correct nuts for the bolts? cheap a.. basta.... !!!
bitch off

Rooted around in my excellently orginized nut, bolt, washer, and all
attachment bin (junk drawer). Found some that seemed to match but aren't
the correct pitch -- they slip threads and won't tighten down under
pressure. So off to Ace tomorrow after work to buy the correct nuts. You'd
think after 35 years of collecting all sorts of crap from old
machines/motors .... you;d end up with at least one matching nut.
Aaarrrghhhh.
Thank you -- yes I do feel better now.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 01:33:55 GMT, xxxx wrote:

[...]

You know it never works that way. For the last 35 years or more, every time I
need a screw and don't have it, I buy a whole box when I go to the hardware
store. You would think by now, I'd have enough boxes of various lengths, sizes,
type of material, head types and finally choices between slotted, phillips and
robertson drives.

Nope. Just last weekend I had to go buy more screws because I didn't have what
I needed in the shop. About the only thing I ever have when I need it is size
6-8-10 in 1-1/4, 1-1/2 and 2". And while I have these, it always turns out that
I am never quite have the quantity needed.

Murphy was an optimist.

Regards,
Roy

Posted to rec.woodworking

xxxx wrote in
9.22:

[...]

A few years ago, I bought a bunch of the most common sizes of #6, #8, #
10, 1/4", and 5/16" washers and nuts. It's come in handy many times, and
sure is nice when I walk over to the drawer and pick up the hardware I
need.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/17/2014 12:06 AM, Roy wrote:

Nope. Just last weekend I had to go buy more screws because I didn't have what
I needed in the shop. About the only thing I ever have when I need it is size
6-8-10 in 1-1/4, 1-1/2 and 2". And while I have these, it always turns out that
I am never quite have the quantity needed.

Murphy was an optimist.

Regards,
Roy

Back in the mid 1960's I worked for a large manufacturing company and we
had many fasteners. I brought home a selection of typical nuts and
bolts. I still have some 1/4-20 nuts in steel, brass, and aluminum. As
well as a few other sized, but the change to metric made me actually buy
some stuff.

I never throw out any extra hardware that may come with something. It
helps at times.
Posted to rec.woodworking

#8, #
10, 1/4", and 5/16" washers and nuts. It's come in handy many
times, and
sure is nice when I walk over to the drawer and pick up the hardware
need.

When I first came to SoCal was told to find a place called
Cal-Aero and plan on spending 3-4 hours just looking around.

Found their store which was only a couple of blocks from a
facility used to build space modules.

The space module facility has been leveled and redeveloped.

Cal-Aero keeps chugging along.

4 hours is not enough to do the place right, but it's better than
nothing.

Used machine tool assy's, hand tools from around the world,
UV resistant silver tarps along with the conduit fittings to
build frames for the silver tarps, and enough fastners to fill up
at least 2,000 sq ft of display space.

The fastners are sold by the pound, a minimum of 10 pounds
total at a time of assorted sizes gets you a good price.

Time to stock up on fender washers, ESNA stop nuts and
what ever else strikes your fancy.

Yes, a trip to Cal-Aero was quite an experience, it's like
a trip back in time.

Lew