Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Mitering corners

I think I've set myself an impossible task, at least with my skill level
and tool complement. I'm finally making the last pieces of my cookbook
shelf units before I can start the prefinishing: The tops. They consist
of a rectangle of 3/4" with solid 1x3 borders:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguar...1490/lightbox/

And I think I've come up with a pretty good jig for cutting the miters
(I don't have a table saw):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguar...1490/lightbox/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguar...1490/lightbox/

It's a take-off on the mitering sleds I've seen online, except in my
case the blade moves rather than the work. I tried to align things as
best I could and made some test pieces. I started with them a hair long
and then shaved them down bit by bit.

The results were not too bad; certainly a more accurate than any miters
I've made previously. And I think I could even improve my method a
little bit. But I'm sure that my eyesight will always be a little better
than the fit at the corners, with my glasses on, at least. Here's the
worst one:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguar...1490/lightbox/

Now I may be able to do better**, but I'm convinced there will always be
some "disguising" to do. Any thoughts?

While we're at it, how would you fasten the frame pieces? The bottom
will never be seen. I'm thinking to put the corners together with small
biscuits, and to fasten the frame pieces to the plywood with either
biscuits or pocket screws. Opinions?

** I think I may have lost track of which was the top and bottom of a
couple of my test pieces, thus negating the "self-correction" provided
by cutting mating pieces from opposite sides of the jig.

---

Mitering with the Disk Sander Leon Woodworking 10 April 13th 07 08:15 PM
Question about rigid inside drywall corners and plain tape corners Eigenvector Home Repair 1 December 25th 06 10:18 AM
Mitering help required!! TJS101 Woodworking 4 April 23rd 06 04:26 PM
Bandsaw mitering Steve B Metalworking 4 April 18th 06 04:06 AM
Bosch miter finder, outside corners vs inside corners Perry Templeton Woodworking 1 January 13th 06 04:44 AM