Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default Was chain sawing a dead Monterey Pine today & had a few basicquestions

On 9/29/2014 3:51 PM, Danny D. wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote, on Mon, 29 Sep 2014 15:06:35 -0500:

I suspect the wider chain puts more stress/wear on the slot . I have no
experience with Husqvarna saws

Apparently even Oregon bars can be "micro-lite" as this explanation shows:
http://www.oregonproducts.com/pdf/mi...oLiteBroch.pdf

"Micro-Lite is the name for the lean, mean narrow-kerf chains and
narrow-kerf guide bars from Oregon. The advantage of using a leaner
narrow-kerf cutting system is that it requires less power from the
saw to make the same length of cut. By cutting a narrower kerf, the
saw does not have to remove as much wood."

You'd think the Husqvarna owners manual would mention that a 'standard'
chain, even if it's the right pitch, gauge, and number of drive links,
will eventually damage the narrow-kerf bar.

The Oregon PDF goes on to explain what's *different* about the narrow-kerf
bars, which still makes no sense to me because the incompatible chains
are the *same* pitch, gauge, and number of drive links!

"To help a Micro-Lite chain cut its narrower kerf, Micro-Lite
bars are built slightly thinner than standard bars. If Micro-Lite
chain is run on a standard bar, there may be hang-ups during the cut.
And if standard chain is run on a Micro-Lite bar, all the performance
advantages of cutting a narrower kerf will be lost."

That doesn't go so far to say that the bar will be damaged, but, clearly,
both the Husqvarna and Oregon customer service personnel told me that
using the non-microlite chain on a micro-lite bar, will damage the bar,
even though the chains are the same dimensions for pitch, gauge, and
number of drive links.

This data is confusing, to me.

If you want a thin kerf then use a band saw.
Metal bandsaws are portable. Maybe use the metal blade
or make/get one made for it in wood teeth. Vari-pitch teeth ?

Martin
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 10/1/2014 9:48 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:
[...]

But then you are cutting fire wood or maybe wood working wood (I hope).
Martin