Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Favorite clamps and where to buy, please.

Sonny wrote in
:

Some time ago, a retired woodworker sold his inventory and I bought 73
of his American made pony clamps (pipe included) for $3 each. He had
at least 150 remaining to be sold. Wish I had bought more, but at the
time, I didn't have any more cash in my pocket.

I'm a strong beleiver in the idea that you can't have too
many clamps, but I'm having a mighty hard time thinking of
a use for 220 pipe clamps.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

I started out with 3/4" Pony bar clamps with 48" black pipe.

Most of mine have galvanized rather than black pipe

I inherited my first two pipe clamps from my dad. He had used galvanized
for his too. Over time the teeth dug into the galvanized metal, leaving
little metal flakes, and the head wouldn't hold any more. I replaced the
galvanized with black pipe and never had another problem. So, I opted for
black pipe when I bought more pipe clamps.

if both ends of the pipe are threaded - just join one or more
lengths of pipe with pipe couplings.

Mine are threaded, and I keep some PVC caps screwed on the open end to
protect the threads. I bought a couple of pipe couplings just for the times
when I needed longer clamps. Of course, it's usually easier to just grab
another clamp off the rack and interlock them. To date, I've never used the
pipe couplings.

In any case, I don't use the pipe clamps much these days. In addition to
the tipping and staining problems, the longer 48" length doesn't fit on my
workbench. So the length is usually a hindrence more than a help for most
situations. Of course, the few times I need the increased length, they're
nice to have.

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Weisgram[_3_] View Post
[...snip...]I like Bessy F style clamps for general purpose clamping. For larger
reach Shop Fox has a pretty good F clamp for much less than the
equivalent Bessey. The plastic pads aren't in the same class, get
knocked off easily, but they are OK. If you use cauls you can get rid
of the pads.

http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-D2918.../dp/B005W0UKY4
I see these i think its good and hope they have also good performance
What your stock broker doesn’t want you to see

Last edited by stockbrokers : September 22nd 14 at 06:19 AM
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, September 21, 2014 7:12:44 PM UTC-5, John McCoy wrote:
Sonny wrote
Some time ago, a retired woodworker sold his inventory and I bought 73
of his American made pony clamps (pipe included) for $3 each. He had
at least 150 remaining to be sold. Wish I had bought more, but at the
time, I didn't have any more cash in my pocket.

I'm a strong beleiver in the idea that you can't have too
many clamps, but I'm having a mighty hard time thinking of
a use for 220 pipe clamps.
John

LOL, yeah. The guy was in the cabinet business, so he would probably need that many. His shop was large, lots of big iron, also, so he likely had other workers.... multiple jobs at a time. His clamp inventory had 4' lengths to 12' lengths. I got mostly 4' & 6' lengths, a few 10' lengths.

As for as ones I bought, I had given some to 2 family members, for 1) when I go to my sister's house to do work/tasks, seems I often/always need clamps and didn't have any, there, and 2) a nephew is a promising woodworker who needed more clamps. Wish I had gotten more to give more to him. He may end up getting most of my stock/tools/etc., anyway.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/22/2014 1:15 AM, stockbrokers wrote:
'Jim Weisgram[_3_ Wrote:
;3286307'][...snip...]I like Bessy F style clamps for general purpose
clamping. For larger
reach Shop Fox has a pretty good F clamp for much less than the
equivalent Bessey. The plastic pads aren't in the same class, get
knocked off easily, but they are OK. If you use cauls you can get rid
of the pads.

http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-D2918.../dp/B005W0UKY4

I see these i think its good and hope they have also good performance

Try these, they are the best clamps I have had, I got mine from HF, but
I think they were sued by Jorgensen, I paid $8 and now after using them,
would easily pay the $19 that Home Depot is getting for them.
They exert an extreme amount of pressure on the joint, are easy to use.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Jorgensen...-4PK/202688782

--
Jeff