Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Where can I get a sheet of Melamine cut down to a specific size, tobe used for a desktop?

Hello All.

Well the subject line pretty much says it all-
where can I get a sheet of Melamine cut down to a specific size?

What I am looking to do is cut down a sheet of Melamine to be used as desktop, that will be placed on top of two trestles. I want a specific size because I want the desktop to fill a specific area---it will go to the wall.

Anyway, since I don't work with tools for a living, nor have access to any--not to say I would even know the right way to do anything with them even if I did!

I just wanted to see what a "seasoned vet" would recommend I do.

Also, recommend how I could get a sheet from Home Depot cut down to a specific size. Also, would it be recommended that I glue a sheet of particle board to it so it's thick?

I'm sure this is simple and basic for someone who has the tools, and know how, but for noob what is recommended?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/9/2014 5:08 PM, wrote:
[...]

I could not recommend Melamine as a desk surface, at least if you are
referring the the Melamine-coated particle board so popular in cheap
cabinets. I had a heavy knock-down desk in my home office and it had a
Melamine surface -- it proved to be entirely too fragile for the
application. Have you considered a desktop with a high-pressure laminate
(Formica) surface? A 1" to 1.5" plywood substrate would make for an
excellent work surface.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

Well the subject line pretty much says it all-
where can I get a sheet of Melamine cut down to a specific size?

From your message I think maybe this is the wrong question...

Big box stores like Home Depot are not noted for their fine saws and
blades.... Melamine chips badly if you don't use an appropriate blade or a
dull blade so I wouldn't assume you'd have a decent product coming out of
them.

Maybe the correct question involves finding a cabinet shop that uses
Melamine and laminates and have them provide the material and the cutting...
Less nonsense for you and most likely a better job. Maybe a bit more money
but they've got bills to pay!

You didn't mention how this top is to be supported... It may need a frame or
some other structure (like a cabinet) under the desk top if it is more than
a few feet wide as the Melamine by itself is likely to sag badly over time.
Maybe another thing a cabinet shop could knock out...

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, September 9, 2014 4:17:05 PM UTC-5, FrozenNorth wrote:
On 9/9/2014 5:08 PM, wrote:

[...]

Home Depot can cut it for you, but the problem is they do not guarantee

accuracy. Best if you have a friend with tools, or find a local cabinet

shop this would be trivial for them. Where are you located? Somebody

here may be able to help and provide advice.

--

Froz...

Iaminthewesternsuburbsofchicago,DuPagecounty.Anyre commendations
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, September 9, 2014 4:08:46 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

I am in the western suburbs of Chicago- DuPage County area to be exact.
Any recommendations?

Oh, and thanks so far for the help.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, September 9, 2014 5:08:46 PM UTC-4, Sixtwozero Seveneightsixfive wrote:

where can I get a sheet of Melamine cut down to a specific size?

What I am looking to do is cut down a sheet of Melamine to be used as desktop, that will be placed on top of two trestles. I want a specific size because I want the desktop to fill a specific area---it will go to the wall.

First, make a plywood tabletop that's the right size and shape. The edges
need to be smooth and will be visible in the final product. Then, laminate the
Melamine (or, as others have suggested) Formica/Micarta (intended for heavy
desktop/tabletop use) over the base. I'd use contact cement for this part.
Then, using a router with a guided bit, trim the excess laminate to match the base.

The big-box stores can sell you a 4x4' chunk of 'butcherblock' solid wood,
and can do some kind of cutdown at the store, but that'll be short of
real furniture quality.

If you are trying to match a wall, it's useful to plan on a final bit of trim molding
that can cover the inevitable crack (walls are rarely straight and meet at
artists' interpretation of a 'right angle').