Posted to rec.woodworking

Default No Subject

"Swingman" wrote:

Brine'd the Christmas turkey last year and wasn't all that
impressed.

Since I was new to the process, I may have done something wrong,
although I followed this to a "t":

Ingredients
1 (14 to 16 pound) frozen young turkey

For the brine:

1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 gallon vegetable stock
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1 1/2 teaspoons allspice berries (?)
1 gallon heavily iced water
The classic brine:

1 Cup, Kosher salt
1 Cup, Brown sugar (Packed cup)
1 Gallon, Water

After that, it's whatever floats your boat for additives.

Brine unfrozen turkey about 4 hours,
then drain and pat dry with paper towels.

I'll stick to chicken.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/8/2014 3:27 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Swingman" wrote:

[...]

I am not cook but do man the fire when smoking.

We simply put the bird in an aluminum foil pan and smoke for 1 hour at
225 degrees. Then completely cover the bird with aluminum foil and
continue cooking a total of 15~20 minutes per pound total at the same temp.

The meat falls off of the bone and is "very" moist.

No Subject Owain UK diy 0 October 7th 05 12:55 AM
No Subject Owain UK diy 0 September 30th 05 01:52 PM
No Subject Owain UK diy 0 September 28th 05 11:30 PM
No Subject Owain UK diy 0 September 27th 05 09:00 PM
No Subject Owain UK diy 0 September 27th 05 08:57 PM