Posted to rec.puzzles,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? Set 554

On 2014-07-20, Rob H wrote:

Another thought occurred to me for item #3236. It looks as
though it could be used as part of a safety device by those working on
power lines. In particular, there are pairs of clamps similar to this,
connected together by a flexible cable. The cable could go to the eye
on the left in the photo. The clamp is applied by an insulated pole
which lifts it to the wire (by the handle of the clamp) and then is
twisted to tighten the clamp onto the wire.

It does resemble a hot line clamp, I'm not sure if this is right or not but will
forward it to the owner.

I would feel more certain about it if there were a flat sided
ring for the cable to clamp to, instead of a rounded ring for something
to simply clip into. I guess that at the voltages involved, they will
make connection fairly easily even without a rigid clamping of terminals
-- at least enough to ground the wire and blow a fuse upline somewhere.
(Or kill some idiot's generator which is backfeeding the line. :-)

Thanks for all of your posts over the years, I know you
supplied answers for quite a few of the items. Take it easy DoN!

And the best of luck with whatever it is which you are going to
be doing for a while.

I look forward to your eventual return. I've spotted some
interesting things to submit to you for future puzzles, if I can
remember to photograph them at the right time. :-)

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.puzzles,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On 7/22/2014 11:13 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote:

I look forward to your eventual return. I've spotted some
interesting things to submit to you for future puzzles, if I can
remember to photograph them at the right time. :-)

Good Luck,
DoN.

I've seen and photographed some items which were
worthy to be put on the web site. If someone else
has web site talent (I do not) the tradition might
yet live on.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 08:46:12 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 7/22/2014 11:13 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote:

I look forward to your eventual return. I've spotted some
interesting things to submit to you for future puzzles, if I can
remember to photograph them at the right time. :-)

Good Luck,
DoN.

I've seen and photographed some items which were
worthy to be put on the web site. If someone else
has web site talent (I do not) the tradition might
yet live on.

If someone has the web-savvy - to set it up -
- we could do a version of Rob's What-Is-It ..
... just while he's away...
We'll post the answers first - so everyone will know
where to find them - nudge nudge wink wink
and then we'll all post pictures of what the answer
looks like to us.
Gotta be a Reality TV pilot here somewhere !
John T