Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Plywood to buy

I want to make an extension to my dining room table, approximately3' x
4'. I want to match the color, stain, and edge to the existing table.
it will bolt on to the existing metal table frame on one side with two
bolts, and have one leg set on center about 18" in from the edge. I
anticipate using 1x4 about 4" in from edge (approx) to match existing to
beef it up and keep if from torquing.

What would be a very good furniture grade 3/4" plywood to buy for this
project? Going to rout the edge to round with the little edge on there.

Birch core with veneer?

Any suggestions, caveats, or tips appreciated.

TIA

Steve
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 06 Jun 2014 13:51:42 -0700, SteveB wrote:

I want to make an extension to my dining room table, approximately3' x
4'. I want to match the color, stain, and edge to the existing table.
it will bolt on to the existing metal table frame on one side with two
bolts, and have one leg set on center about 18" in from the edge. I
anticipate using 1x4 about 4" in from edge (approx) to match existing to
beef it up and keep if from torquing.

What would be a very good furniture grade 3/4" plywood to buy for this
project? Going to rout the edge to round with the little edge on there.

Birch core with veneer?

Any suggestions, caveats, or tips appreciated.

TIA

Steve

What type of wood is used in the existing table top? Also if you plan
on routing the edge to match the existing top wouldn't that dictate
using solid wood rather than plywood? Or is that what your plan is
for the 1x4 using it as edging?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"SteveB" wrote in message

I want to make an extension to my dining room table, approximately3' x
4'. I want to match the color, stain, and edge to the existing table.
it will bolt on to the existing metal table frame on one side with two
bolts, and have one leg set on center about 18" in from the edge. I
anticipate using 1x4 about 4" in from edge (approx) to match existing to
beef it up and keep if from torquing.

What would be a very good furniture grade 3/4" plywood to buy for this
project? Going to rout the edge to round with the little edge on there.

The same species as the existing. Anything else and you are buying
problems.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote in message

"SteveB" wrote in message

I want to make an extension to my dining room table, approximately3' x
4'. I want to match the color, stain, and edge to the existing table.
it will bolt on to the existing metal table frame on one side with two
bolts, and have one leg set on center about 18" in from the edge. I
anticipate using 1x4 about 4" in from edge (approx) to match existing to
beef it up and keep if from torquing.

What would be a very good furniture grade 3/4" plywood to buy for this
project? Going to rout the edge to round with the little edge on there.

The same species as the existing. Anything else and you are buying
problems.

The face veneer is what I'm talking about. Core doesn't matter all that
much, will likely be poplar or lauan depending upon where the ply was made.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/6/2014 3:51 PM, SteveB wrote:
I want to make an extension to my dining room table, approximately3' x
4'. I want to match the color, stain, and edge to the existing table.
it will bolt on to the existing metal table frame on one side with two
bolts, and have one leg set on center about 18" in from the edge. I
anticipate using 1x4 about 4" in from edge (approx) to match existing to
beef it up and keep if from torquing.

What would be a very good furniture grade 3/4" plywood to buy for this
project? Going to rout the edge to round with the little edge on there.

Birch core with veneer?

Any suggestions, caveats, or tips appreciated.

TIA

Steve

GOOD LUCK! You have quite a task ahead of you. If you really want for
this to look good and you are not experienced in doing this type of
modification I strongly suggest you let a pro do it.

Consider also that you might get out with less cost by buying a table
the size you want.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SteveB" wrote in message
I want to make an extension to my dining room table, approximately3' x 4'.
I want to match the color, stain, and edge to the existing table. it will
bolt on to the existing metal table frame on one side with two bolts, and
have one leg set on center about 18" in from the edge. I anticipate using
1x4 about 4" in from edge (approx) to match existing to beef it up and
keep if from torquing.

What would be a very good furniture grade 3/4" plywood to buy for this
project? Going to rout the edge to round with the little edge on there.

Birch core with veneer?

Any suggestions, caveats, or tips appreciated.

TIA

Steve

I guess it depends on the original wood of the table. Matching stain can be
tough, but you can usually get pretty close if you are using the same wood.
If we aren't sure my wife and I use oak face cabinet grade plywood and oak
trim. Sometimes routed to match or complement. Look at the back and you
can often see the original wood, but if it has a veneer all bets are off.