Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Looking for a long-term business partner in North NJ/NYC area

Howdy folks

I'm trying to start a small business which will have a major woodworking component. I recently pretty much lost my first client because the guy I found on Craigslist decided to flake out on me (yeah, I know, going on Craigslist was my first mistake). Even if I had the time to learn this stuff for myself, I really don't have the real estate or budget for floor machines right now. So, I'm looking for somebody whom I can make an equal partner for the long haul.

The right person will

-be interested in starting a new business
-be familiar with millwork and cabinetry as well as architectural framing, and have the hardware to handle (basic) millowrk.
-have a little more time on their hands than they really want

3 business contact references are A MUST. Once bitten, twice shy.

Love of live music of any kind is a big plus.

reply to donovandigital at gmail

Many thanks in advance to any interested parties

Joe Stavitsky
Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe S. wrote:
Howdy folks

I'm trying to start a small business which will have a major woodworking component. I recently pretty much lost my first client because the guy I found on Craigslist decided to flake out on me (yeah, I know, going on Craigslist was my first mistake). Even if I had the time to learn this stuff for myself, I really don't have the real estate or budget for floor machines right now. So, I'm looking for somebody whom I can make an equal partner for the long haul.

Maybe it will get someone's attention if you share some of your
credentials. Are you a long-time reader of the wrec?

The right person will

-be interested in starting a new business
-be familiar with millwork and cabinetry as well as architectural framing, and have the hardware to handle (basic) millowrk.
-have a little more time on their hands than they really want

3 business contact references are A MUST. Once bitten, twice shy.

Love of live music of any kind is a big plus.

reply to donovandigital at gmail

Many thanks in advance to any interested parties

Joe Stavitsky

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sorry, wrec?

Re my credentials, I'm basically an AV tech who's back in school to get an ee degree. I'll go into alot more detail with interested parties, but if anybody has any questions feel free to ask. I just may not always answer .

Thanks again

Joe
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 11 May 2014 22:38:02 -0700 (PDT), "Joe S."
wrote:

Sorry, wrec?

if anybody has any questions feel free to ask. I just may not always answer .

Thanks again

You're welcome, but count me out.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/12/2014 12:38 AM, Joe S. wrote:

Sorry, wrec?

Re my credentials, I'm basically an AV tech who's back in school to get an ee degree. I'll go into alot more detail with interested parties,

Any details at all would be nice.

but if anybody has any questions feel free to ask. I just may not always
answer .

I'm thinking that any one wanting me to go into business with "me" needs
to show an interest in answering any questions immediately.

Thanks again

Joe

Posted to rec.woodworking

Guys

Thanks again for the interest, and sorry if I was a little short on info last night. It was kind of a long day.

The general idea is to put together a full-service audiovisual sales and rental operation, focusing on the entertainment industry. That said, I am in the early stages of market research; corporate work may be more lucrative.

I've been doing a/v work for about 5 years, focusing on audio. I have strong electronics-fu and can repair pretty much any audiovisual hardware you throw at me (I don't have a reflow oven in my basement so there's certain stuff I simply won't bother with). However, to chase the really big-ticket work I need to have a very tight relationship with somebody who understands architectural framing and joinery. Easy enough to demonstrate mathematically that hanging a speaker off a load-bearing beam will not hurt the structure; somewhat tougher to make the city building inspector believe it.

To take a far simpler example; I can obtain, at fairly short notice, a software package to design advanced custom loudspeaker systems. Actually building them is where you guys come in. Selling custom speakers on ebay strikes me as a great low-voltage starting point for a business relationship. After we do that for a little bit we can consider where we want to go next.

Again, not that I want to be closemouthed about what I'm trying to do but there are just certain topics I am not comfortable discussing on an "open line", so to speak. I'll gladly tell you anything you want to know over email..
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/12/2014 12:15 PM, Joe S. wrote:
[...]

Sounds like you are asking for 2 things.

One to do a builtin.
One to build speakers.

Speakers are built with particle board (heavy) to get a consistent
sound, and they are veneered. While veneering is not difficult, it can
be quite expensive to get the veneers desired in quantities to support
small runs. I assume you are making small custom runs to pick out the look.

Building the speaker is a box.. Unless you require baffling.

The builtin, is quite different. I assume you will be matching finishes
in high end homes. That in itself can be quite difficult to match
existing finishes.

How much volume will you be doing? And what is your expected turnaround
time frame?

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/12/2014 11:24 AM, woodchucker wrote:

How much volume will you be doing? And what is your expected turnaround
time frame?

A former band mate, and Asst Engineer in my studio, was (may still be?)
a partner in this:

http://www.novaaudio.com/

Billy and his partners have impeccable credentials in acoustics,
mathematics and engineering. I helped him put together a few speakers in
the early days, almost 20 years ago. We also mixed a couple of albums in
my studio using their products as console reference monitors to give
them some recording industry experience/exposure.

I watched these guys struggle for a number of years, and they still may
be doing so. Tough business in this neck of the woods, or any neck of
the woods from what I've seen. IMO, anyone contemplating getting into
this industry needs to be young, hungry, and ready for some tough
sledding in the early years.

Good luck to the OP ... nothing ventured, nothing gained. But don't
anyone give up their day job (if you are lucky to have one) too soon.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jeff

Thanks for the interest

The residential market is a big market, but it does not necessarily have the biggest jobs. At this early stage I am far more comfortable with my ability to do business with nightclub/bar owners and theaters than I am with residential work. However, that comes from a money standpoint, not a skillset standpoint - I can cut and patch drywall as well as the next guy.

I am not so sure about (only) particleboard as a material; take a look at some of the stuff here. Not saying that these are the best designs necessarily, but to make it on ebay we should be able to do things like that out of some nicer-looking hardwoods.

That said, I proposed the loudspeaker thing as a simple expedient by which we can make sure that our business styles are 150% compatible rather than a long-term business model. If it keeps making money, so much the better.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Re volume, still researching. At an early estimate, if one job takes more than 2 weeks we are doing something wrong. If it takes more than a month we are doing something VERY wrong.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman

Trust me, I know exactly how bad the high-end/studio business sucks right now. That is exactly why my strategic focus is on sales/install to large venues. As I mentioned in my reply to Jeff, the custom speakers bit is really a way to make sure everybody is on the same page business-wise before we get into too much time/money.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/12/2014 12:19 PM, Joe S. wrote:
Swingman

Trust me, I know exactly how bad the high-end/studio business sucks right now.

Trust me, my post was solely for the benefit of those who routinely
participate in, and know what the "wrec" is.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe S. wrote:
[...]

There are some great live sound newsgroups and forums on the net that would
probably make a better place for you to start. These guys can really speak
to your business plan and the realities of the things you speak of above. I
believe you will find that the guys with the stripes on their sleeves and
the scars on their asses are going to tell you that it's not as rich a field
as you may currently envision.

So - as a guy that has some experience on both sides of this discussion... I
suggest you start with the sound guys and worry about the woodworking side
after. I doubt you'll decide to go that far.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:

Sounds like you are asking for 2 things.

One to do a builtin.
One to build speakers.

Speakers are built with particle board (heavy) to get a consistent
sound, and they are veneered. While veneering is not difficult, it can
be quite expensive to get the veneers desired in quantities to support
small runs. I assume you are making small custom runs to pick out the
look.

Nope Jeff - not by a mile. Yes - to build a cabinet that will make sound is
that simple, but to build cabinets that will make professional sound is
something quite different. These are engineered products - and not
woodworking engineering. Sound is a very complex field.

Building the speaker is a box.. Unless you require baffling.

Wrong. By a mile.

The builtin, is quite different. I assume you will be matching
finishes in high end homes. That in itself can be quite difficult to match
existing finishes.

You're speaking strictly from a woodworking perspective Jeff. That
perspective completely ignores, or misses the accoustic perspective. Like I
said - this stuff is a science.

How much volume will you be doing? And what is your expected
turnaround time frame?

That question all by itself reveals the woodworker's lack of familiarity
with the issue. The OP really needs to be talking to pro-sound groups (at
least) simultaneously with woodworking groups. Hell - he really does not
even need to be talking to woodworking groups - no need for wood enclosures
anymore.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike

I have been involved in the fora you mentioned on and off for some time. I feel like I am pretty familiar with the ecology in question. I have 2 small outfits in town that do this kind of work, and they've been circling the drain for years. My considered opinion is that they have the problems that they have because they have no interest in vertically integrating. If they let money out the door for other people to do their repair, keep buying new hardware instead of looking on eBay to see what they can buy used and fix up, and generally refuse to think outside the box in terms of saving money and looking for new sales avenues, clearly their business will go down the drain. I interned in PRG. They maintain a national operation because they do business with _everybody_. They started out doing touring broadway shows, transitioned to live music and TV, and were opening a retail design unit (shopping malls etc) while I was there. They were buying smaller shops up on a regular basis. If you think you are only doing live bands, or theater shows, or any one thing, clearly you are a schmuck. But, if you look at the mistakes other people make and learn from them, you can make it happen.

I decided to hang my own shingle - if not immediately then at least 4-5 years down the line - the day I gave my final presentation in my business course in school. My entire workgroup failed to show up and I still got the best grade in the course. I don't need to take a college class to know what is, and is not, a business proposition.

Good to know, that there a re plenty of audio guys here. Makes my life much easier talking to everybody.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe S. wrote:
Swingman

Trust me, I know exactly how bad the high-end/studio business sucks
right now. That is exactly why my strategic focus is on sales/install
to large venues. As I mentioned in my reply to Jeff, the custom
speakers bit is really a way to make sure everybody is on the same
page business-wise before we get into too much time/money.

Perhaps you have a new and revolutionary idea but... how is it you say that
high-end/studio business sucks right now? Do you really understand anything
about the business you are trying to get into?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe S. wrote:
Re volume, still researching. At an early estimate, if one job takes
more than 2 weeks we are doing something wrong. If it takes more than
a month we are doing something VERY wrong.

Then you are targeting very small - read... not-so-profitable. Go after
whatever you wish, but my advice (for whatever it is worth...) is that you
will just be wasting money. It is becoming clear that your business plan is
based more upon your own ideas than it is on the realities of the market
that spends the money you are trying to capture. Engineers seldom make good
sales/marketing guys...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike

Here is the basic reason I believe that the studio business sucks;

http://76.74.24.142/2463566A-FF96-E0...779A364D01.pdf

http://blog.thecurrent.org/2014/02/4...e-handy-chart/

Basically the problem is that the herd of dinosaurs that comprise the record industry have barely gotten a handle on online sales and they've been steamrolled (again) by streaming services.

Recorded music is a global business because the product comes to the customer. Live music is a local business because the customer comes to the product. If I am extremely lucky I may see my business go national in my lifetime.. I'm not really holding my breath. I'll be perfectly happy working long hours in a local business until I retire, and frankly I'm not all that interested in retirement anyhow. If my brain is ok and I can hold a solder iron I can keep working.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe S. wrote:
Mike

I have been involved in the fora you mentioned on and off for some
time. I feel like I am pretty familiar with the ecology in question.
I have 2 small outfits in town that do this kind of work, and they've
been circling the drain for years.

As this progresses - I'm having trouble follwing your phrases. Though they
may make sense to you, the phrase "circling the drain" can have many meaings
to me, so it's nebulous.

My considered opinion is that they
have the problems that they have because they have no interest in
vertically integrating.

Case in point - what does the term "vertically integrating" mean? Not just
to you and I in this conversations, but to your future customer? Also...
not to be insulting... but the phrase "in my considered opinion" might be
something you want to check at the door as you work on exploring and
building a business plan. That's a great starting point, but it's also one
that has to quickly be put on the shelf as one undertakes honest business
analysis.

If they let money out the door for other
people to do their repair, keep buying new hardware instead of
looking on eBay to see what they can buy used and fix up, and
generally refuse to think outside the box in terms of saving money
and looking for new sales avenues, clearly their business will go
down the drain. I interned in PRG.

Sounds good as a marketing slide but contains absolutely no real content
Joe. And that by itself is an unfair statement to you, since your post
never even really tried to go this deep. I'm just trying to haul you back
up to the level of your original post and not sprial down into other
discussions.

They maintain a national operation
because they do business with _everybody_. They started out doing
touring broadway shows, transitioned to live music and TV, and were
opening a retail design unit (shopping malls etc) while I was there.
They were buying smaller shops up on a regular basis. If you think
you are only doing live bands, or theater shows, or any one thing,
clearly you are a schmuck. But, if you look at the mistakes other
people make and learn from them, you can make it happen.

I'm sorry, but the above just does not make any sense to me. What is it you
are really trying to say. Slow down Joe...

I decided to hang my own shingle - if not immediately then at least
4-5 years down the line - the day I gave my final presentation in my
business course in school. My entire workgroup failed to show up and
I still got the best grade in the course. I don't need to take a
college class to know what is, and is not, a business proposition.

Ok - yeah - wonderful - bull****. So - you're proud of yourself - that's
ok. But Joe - ferchristssake... go back and re-read this thread. You posed
a question. You received some direct input. None of that took you to this
point. This is not a business planning newsgroup. We really don't need to
or care to hear about your college experiences, unless you'd like to hear
about ours - which probably included more naked women that yours did! Of
course, we do enjoy reliving those days for those showing any interest...

Good to know, that there a re plenty of audio guys here. Makes my
life much easier talking to everybody.

There are not plenty of audio guys here. There are a small handful. There
are a lot of very knowlegable woodworkers that will talk about cabinets, but
most of those really do not understand building speaker cabinets, or
anything else associated with the requirements of sound reinforcement.
Great and knowlegable guys all the same, but you've kinda yanked them
outside of their area of expertise.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe S. wrote:
Mike

Here is the basic reason I believe that the studio business sucks;

http://76.74.24.142/2463566A-FF96-E0...779A364D01.pdf

http://blog.thecurrent.org/2014/02/4...e-handy-chart/

Basically the problem is that the herd of dinosaurs that comprise the
record industry have barely gotten a handle on online sales and
they've been steamrolled (again) by streaming services.

Recorded music is a global business because the product comes to the
customer. Live music is a local business because the customer comes
to the product. If I am extremely lucky I may see my business go
national in my lifetime. I'm not really holding my breath. I'll be
perfectly happy working long hours in a local business until I
retire, and frankly I'm not all that interested in retirement anyhow.
If my brain is ok and I can hold a solder iron I can keep working.

Hey Joe - I kinda fart around in this group during the day, as it happens.
I have a day job so I can't really devote any time to chasing links to dig
into the esoteric issues like this. Sorry. I'll go back to my original
point which is to encourage you to look beyond a woodworking newsgroup for
more and better information, as you build your business plan. I really wish
you the best of luck but right now, I think you might just well have the
cart before the horse.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike

Sorry if I'm being unclear in anything whatsoever. I assure you it's not intentional.

the phrase "circling the drain" can have many meaings

to me, so it's nebulous.

OK, the guy I was in touch with most recently, basically said he had had no business whatsoever the entire winter. This is certainly no place I want to be.

Case in point - what does the term "vertically integrating" mean?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertical_integration

Sounds good as a marketing slide but contains absolutely no real content

Joe.

I'm sorry, again - perhaps we mean different things by "real content". If one guy does his own repair and another guy pays somebody else to do his repair, then guy 1 will have more money in his bank account than guy 2, right?

Likewise, if guy 1 does business with only bars and nightclubs whereas guy 2 does business with bars and nightclubs and churches and theaters, guy 2 will make more money.

And that by itself is an unfair statement to you, since your post

never even really tried to go this deep. I'm just trying to haul you back

up to the level of your original post and not sprial down into other

discussions.

As I said, please ask me anything you'd like to know specifically. Some things I will only answer by email, but I will answer all your questions to the best of my ability. In fact I suggest that we move this discussion to email immediately.

I'm sorry, but the above just does not make any sense to me. What is it you

are really trying to say. Slow down Joe...

I have 2 businesses in town who in my opinion are doing it wrong. I would like to do it right. In this case , this means not doing what they are doing..

This is not a business planning newsgroup.

Again, sorry if i'm slow, but perhaps you could be more specific about the specific input. As far as I can see I had one guy say something regarding actual lumber that you (correctly) shot down. I responded to a)your suggestions that I should visit audio fora and b) your question "Do you really understand anything about the business you are trying to get into?" Incidentally, I agree with your assessment that engineers are poor marketing guys. That is why I am doing extensive market research and constantly looking for sales staff. I don't know how to close a deal in 15 minutes, but I know exactly how to build a business relationship.

you've kinda yanked them outside of their area of expertise.

Here is my expectation, and please let me know if it is unreasonable. I am highly proficient in Autodesk Inventor 3d cad. When dealing with woodworkers, I expect to be able to print out dimensioned plans, specify either a density for all materials or a required supported load (in the case of structural framing) and get back a timeframe for cutting and assembly and a price for materials.

Thank you very much for taking the time to try and figure out the details of my business ideas. I realize that many people charge money for services like this, and I hope I can help you out with something in the future.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe S. wrote:
[...]

You will probably need a licensed professional engineer to sign
off on it.

To take a far simpler example; I can obtain, at fairly short notice, a software package to design advanced custom loudspeaker systems. Actually building them is where you guys come in. Selling custom speakers on ebay strikes me as a great low-voltage starting point for a business relationship. After we do that for a little bit we can consider where we want to go next.

Again, not that I want to be closemouthed about what I'm trying to do but there are just certain topics I am not comfortable discussing on an "open line", so to speak. I'll gladly tell you anything you want to know over email.

Posted to rec.woodworking

You will probably need a licensed professional engineer to sign

off on it.

I have a few guys in mind. My math and physics skills greatly reduce their workload and my cost.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe S. wrote:
Here is my expectation, and please let me know if it is unreasonable.
I am highly proficient in Autodesk Inventor 3d cad. When dealing with
woodworkers, I expect to be able to print out dimensioned plans,
specify either a density for all materials or a required supported
load (in the case of structural framing) and get back a timeframe for
cutting and assembly and a price for materials.

Engineers can specify materials that will meet your requirements.
Woodworkers (doing unusual projects like this) will build to spec.
Homebuilders surely know a bit more. At least that is my take on things.
Good luck!

Bill

Thank you very much for taking the time to try and figure out the
details of my business ideas. I realize that many people charge money
for services like this, and I hope I can help you out with something
in the future.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill

So, there is no table out there for wood density?

But, it is an easy problem to solve, just make a water displacement test

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe S. wrote:
Bill

So, there is no table out there for wood density?

But, it is an easy problem to solve, just make a water displacement test

In a major sports arena recently, a large board fell from the ceiling
into the bleachers. Fortunately, there was only a camera there to catch
it on film. They cancelled the "game" that evening pending an
inspection. Think of the liability issues concerning the projects you
are discussing. They may be insurmountable to a small business. Are you
prepared to buy $10 million dollars worth of insurance (I just pulled
that figure out of the air)?
Posted to rec.woodworking

The worst case scenario is, there are certain jobs we cannot bid. OK, we will bid the jobs we can bit, as long as we can bid the majpority of available jobs.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 12 May 2014 14:17:08 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

(snip)

Hey Joe - Sorry. I'll go back to my original
point which is to encourage you to look beyond a woodworking newsgroup for
more and better information, as you build your business plan.

rec.audio.pro would be a good group to check out for this.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe S. wrote:

Here is my expectation, and please let me know if it is
unreasonable. I am highly proficient in Autodesk Inventor 3d cad.
When dealing with woodworkers, I expect to be able to print out
dimensioned plans, specify either a density for all materials or a
required supported load (in the case of structural framing) and get
back a timeframe for cutting and assembly and a price for materials.

None of which has anything to do with running a business.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

It seems I am going about this the wrong way. My expectation was that if I showed up here and people were interested in hearing my propositions - and they had the hardware and skillset I mentioned - they would email me any questions they had. As it stands, I'm kinda fuzzy - do you guys expect to see a complete business plan before you even entertain certain discussions? If so, then no problem, I will come back here when I have one ready. On the other hand, if any of you guys want to get some relatively small (and pretty much risk-free) work done, split the profits, and make sure I have 2 brain cells to rub together as a fringe benefit, we could do that too. Option B would certainly make me more comfortable with putting the time into completing a business plan writeup.

I am curious - I realize I haven't linked to any of my work or my resume, but what in particular made anyone think that I was not aware of rec.audio.pro? More to the point, why should I expect useful advice (much less encouragement) from people whom I expect to be my direct competition?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe S. wrote:
It seems I am going about this the wrong way. My expectation was that if I showed up here and people were interested in hearing my propositions - and they had the hardware and skillset I mentioned - they would email me any questions they had.

I think a popular attitude is that if you post a question in a group,
then you should be willing to read the answer there.

As it stands, I'm kinda fuzzy - do you guys expect to see a complete business plan before you even entertain certain discussions?

I think we've already had some pretty good discussions. Mike Marlow
suggested that there is a lot more to audio acoustics than building a
cabinet, and I think he is right. Lew Hodgett pointed out that there is
more to running a business than meets the eye. There were more comments
than I can remember at the moment. I'm sure you can contract all of the
additional "skills" and expertise you require locally. Why not try
playing the role of "general contractor" and see what happens. Even if
it costs you money, I think you'll come out ahead. Do some painting and
drywall at the same time, so you can keep busy where you're not working
on your ee degree, and maybe make a few bucks.

If so, then no problem, I will come back here when I have one ready. On the other hand, if any of you guys want to get some relatively small (and pretty much risk-free) work done, split the profits, and make sure I have 2 brain cells to rub together as a fringe benefit, we could do that too. Option B would certainly make me more comfortable with putting the time into completing a business plan writeup.

I am curious - I realize I haven't linked to any of my work or my resume, but what in particular made anyone think that I was not aware of rec.audio.pro? More to the point, why should I expect useful advice (much less encouragement) from people whom I expect to be my direct competition?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe S. wrote:
It seems I am going about this the wrong way. My expectation was that
if I showed up here and people were interested in hearing my
propositions - and they had the hardware and skillset I mentioned -
they would email me any questions they had. As it stands, I'm kinda
fuzzy - do you guys expect to see a complete business plan before you
even entertain certain discussions? If so, then no problem, I will
come back here when I have one ready. On the other hand, if any of
you guys want to get some relatively small (and pretty much
risk-free) work done, split the profits, and make sure I have 2 brain
cells to rub together as a fringe benefit, we could do that too.
Option B would certainly make me more comfortable with putting the
time into completing a business plan writeup.

Hey Joe - I can't speak for anyone else, but I suspect most here would feel
at least similar to how I feel. Some have actually stated their positions
already. As for me, my contributions to your dialog yesterday was an
interesting diversion that maybe might benefit you with some things I had to
offer, or maybe not. But - they were short lived because I'm not a guy
who's going to invest time or money into an endeavor like this. I wish you
the best - and I do believe people can be successful where others have
either struggled or failed, before them, so I try not to squash dreams. I
had a couple of passing thoughts that I felt might be of worth to you, so I
shared them - for whatever they were worth. That's about as far as it goes
for me. Good luck in your pursuit.

I am curious - I realize I haven't linked to any of my work or my
resume, but what in particular made anyone think that I was not aware
of rec.audio.pro? More to the point, why should I expect useful
advice (much less encouragement) from people whom I expect to be my
direct competition?

The audio newsgroup that I am familiar with is alt.audio.pro.live-sound -
don't know anything about rec.audio.pro. aapls can be a tough playground
sometimes, but it is a place that is full of expert advice in all aspects of
the audio business - and some video. To your question - you might be
surprised at just how much free useful advice you can get there, even though
you expect to be a competitor. Just put your thick skin on before you tread
into those waters - there can be some grizzly characters there...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow"

That question all by itself reveals the woodworker's lack of familiarity
with the issue. The OP really needs to be talking to pro-sound groups (at
least) simultaneously with woodworking groups. Hell - he really does not
even need to be talking to woodworking groups - no need for wood
enclosures anymore.

That has me curious. If not MDF for speaker boxes nowadays, what?
Composite plastics?
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/13/2014 6:05 PM, Morgans wrote:

That has me curious. If not MDF for speaker boxes nowadays, what?
Composite plastics?

Exactly, or synthetic woods. Although it depends somewhat upon the
speaker and its use. MDF is still used, as well as a void free plywood,
like Baltic Birch plywood for PA applications. Composite
materials/thermoplastic polymers with glass reinforced plastic fibers
that mimic wood, especially for designs that use computers to design and
manufacture speaker shapes that can't be done with wood.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Morgans wrote:
"Mike Marlow"

That question all by itself reveals the woodworker's lack of
familiarity with the issue. The OP really needs to be talking to
pro-sound groups (at least) simultaneously with woodworking groups.
Hell - he really does not even need to be talking to woodworking
groups - no need for wood enclosures anymore.

That has me curious. If not MDF for speaker boxes nowadays, what?
Composite plastics?

For the kind of speakers he is talking about - yes... maybe. Today's
composits make for very good solutions - which is why I suggest he
investigagte further. To be fair - as do solid wood, plywood and
chipboard - but it's much more about the resonanat frequencies, etc. than it
is about the wood. That's why I was trying to make the woodworking aspedt
secondary to his other considerations,

As for MDF - as a structural member, it poses some unique considerations
when it comes to hanging them, etc. Not something that can't be oversome,
but still something that has to be considered when one is accustomed to
working with any wood structure.

As for the whole matter - I just wonder if there is really any room left to
fight head to head with the big names that have already moved beyond the
craftmanship stage of things, and are now at the comodity stage of things.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, May 12, 2014 8:12:51 PM UTC-5, Joe S. wrote:
[...]

What I see is you are not willing to listen to others, or consider their opinions, you hope to work with. It's your way or no way. In my initial reading, there are several things that convinces me you are already disorganized.

You seem to want to market to a certain group, yet, initially, you say you "want to use EBay, then decide, later, what to do (use) next". You have to be kidding! Your business plan better already have that decision made, i..e., what to use next. I doubt the market group, you seek, even shops on EBay, for the/their specific needs you are wanting to sell to them.

If I were to join into a partnership, you darn right I would want to know the whole business plan.... investment $ (my input), startup, evolution, prospective goals for 1 yr, 3 yrs, 5 yrs, and the like,.... etc. Not that you have to announce them here, but you haven't been clear, at all, as to what professional person you need, in order to find out if there's one here, because you don't know exactly what kind of professional person you need, to fill a particular niche. I surmise you don't fully know or understand the niche, either, you are wanting to be filled.

I don't see that you have a complete business plan, hence you couldn't present one, in the first place. Before seeing a business plan, I'd want to review your market research, as I suspect it may be severely lacking, also.

With that, I don't see your plans as achieving the future goals you aspire to.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe S. wrote:
You will probably need a licensed professional engineer to sign

off on it.

I have a few guys in mind. My math and physics skills greatly reduce their workload and my cost.

I would believe that if you can do your own drawing. Then you would just
need to pay them to approve it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 14 May 2014 07:31:23 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

[...]

Snip

Sonny

There was a guy on rec.audio.pro and another one on sci.crypto that
would post questions to the group and then argue, like hell, with the
experts when they didn't like their answers. I'm surprised anyone even
talked to them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/14/2014 8:32 PM, Gray_Wolf wrote:

There was a guy on rec.audio.pro and another one on sci.crypto that
would post questions to the group and then argue, like hell, with the
experts when they didn't like their answers. I'm surprised anyone even
talked to them.

Most every newsgroup has one of them. Must be a franchise deal.