Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Alternative to low-friction tape on a dovetail guide?

David Barron uses low-friction tape on the side of his dovetail guide. I wonder if anyone has ideas that might work just as well -- I was thinking a coat of poly or something. I made one of these guides and and now seek guidance. Any thoughts?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, April 26, 2014 6:48:37 PM UTC-5, Michael wrote:
David Barron uses low-friction tape on the side of his dovetail guide. I wonder if anyone has ideas that might work just as well -- I was thinking a coat of poly or something. I made one of these guides and and now seek guidance. Any thoughts?

Sorry. Here's the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibyTMTLjaq8
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, April 26, 2014 4:48:37 PM UTC-7, Michael wrote:
David Barron uses low-friction tape on the side of his dovetail guide. I wonder if anyone has ideas that might work just as well -- I was thinking a coat of poly or something. I made one of these guides and and now seek guidance. Any thoughts?

Teflon or HDPE would probably work, but those would wear against the
saw. Probably your best bet is Delrin (acetal plastic) sheet; our local
suppliers have 1/4" sheets available, you can drill a few pockets
for the magnets and just countersink some flat-head screws to hold
it to the jig.

Tap Plastics wells a 4x4" sample sheet for a couple of bucks.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, April 27, 2014 1:21:41 PM UTC-5, whit3rd wrote:
On Saturday, April 26, 2014 4:48:37 PM UTC-7, Michael wrote:

David Barron uses low-friction tape on the side of his dovetail guide. I wonder if anyone has ideas that might work just as well -- I was thinking a coat of poly or something. I made one of these guides and and now seek guidance. Any thoughts?

Teflon or HDPE would probably work, but those would wear against the

saw. Probably your best bet is Delrin (acetal plastic) sheet; our local

suppliers have 1/4" sheets available, you can drill a few pockets

for the magnets and just countersink some flat-head screws to hold

it to the jig.

Tap Plastics wells a 4x4" sample sheet for a couple of bucks.

I will definitely check it out. Much appreciated.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Michael wrote:
David Barron uses low-friction tape on the side of his dovetail guide. I wonder if anyone has ideas that might work just as well -- I was thinking a coat of poly or something. I made one of these guides and and now seek guidance. Any thoughts?

How about rubbing the area with paraffin wax?

--
 GW Ross

 Everybody has a right to be stupid,
 but some abuse the privilege.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, April 27, 2014 4:10:20 PM UTC-5, G. Ross wrote:
Michael wrote:

David Barron uses low-friction tape on the side of his dovetail guide. I wonder if anyone has ideas that might work just as well -- I was thinking a coat of poly or something. I made one of these guides and and now seek guidance. Any thoughts?

How about rubbing the area with paraffin wax?

--

 GW Ross

 Everybody has a right to be stupid,

 but some abuse the privilege.

Thanks. I thought about some kind of lubrication, but I think I'm going to try to avoid that for now because I want clean wood in the pins and tails for gluing.