Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Newbie drill question

I got a bunch of Forstner drills over the years at yard sales. Some
have round shafts, some have four sided shafts.

Are the four sided ones for use in a brace? The old hand style drill?

I need to drill some railroad ties, and some thick telephone poles. Do
these chuck up safely to a regular drill, or does it take a special
drill to run these bits?

Steve
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/17/2014 9:02 PM, SteveB wrote:
I got a bunch of Forstner drills over the years at yard sales. Some
have round shafts, some have four sided shafts.

Are the four sided ones for use in a brace? The old hand style drill?

I need to drill some railroad ties, and some thick telephone poles. Do
these chuck up safely to a regular drill, or does it take a special
drill to run these bits?

Steve

Forstener's are not good for drilling deep holes like that.
Assuming soft wood, use an auger bit.

Yes four sided is for a brace if the four sided tapers.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

"SteveB" wrote in message
I got a bunch of Forstner drills over the years at yard sales. Some have
round shafts, some have four sided shafts.

Are the four sided ones for use in a brace? The old hand style drill?

I have seen forstner bits that are used in a special lock and doorknob
drilling jig that have four sided non tapered tops. An adapter goes in the
drill, then the adapter quick connects to the 2 1/8th and the 1" bit, for
drilling the face of the door and the edge for the plunger, respectively.
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 17 Apr 2014 18:02:16 -0700, SteveB wrote:

I got a bunch of Forstner drills over the years at yard sales. Some
have round shafts, some have four sided shafts.

Are the four sided ones for use in a brace? The old hand style drill?

I need to drill some railroad ties, and some thick telephone poles. Do
these chuck up safely to a regular drill, or does it take a special
drill to run these bits?

Steve

My experience with drilling dozens of crossties is that whatever bit
you use will be destroyed before the project is finished.

And on more than one occasion the drill that was used.

YMMV
Posted to rec.woodworking

I would not use a forstner bit on a rail tie....
I would use like an electrician drill bit....nail cutter, lots of material
removal capability.
You can find these at garage sales and tool sales...
Rail ties are tough, and could have rocks embedded.....and or steel.
john

"SteveB" wrote in message ...

I got a bunch of Forstner drills over the years at yard sales. Some
have round shafts, some have four sided shafts.

Are the four sided ones for use in a brace? The old hand style drill?

I need to drill some railroad ties, and some thick telephone poles. Do
these chuck up safely to a regular drill, or does it take a special
drill to run these bits?

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote

My experience with drilling dozens of crossties is that whatever bit
you use will be destroyed before the project is finished.

And on more than one occasion the drill that was used.

If you use a homeowners drill, that is near certain. It must be a drill
with a heavy, low speed gearbox, and it helps to run the drill in free air -
no load for 15 seconds after each hole to cool the motor.
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
SteveB wrote:
I got a bunch of Forstner drills over the years at yard sales. Some
have round shafts, some have four sided shafts.

Are the four sided ones for use in a brace? The old hand style drill?

I need to drill some railroad ties, and some thick telephone poles. Do
these chuck up safely to a regular drill, or does it take a special
drill to run these bits?

Steve

Interesting. I've never seen a forstner with a square shaft. It would be
difficult to use a forstner in a brace because there's no self-feed screw.
Without seeing one, my guess is that the square shaft was designed for use
in a post drill: http://www.farmcollector.com/tools/a...#axzz2zHCtlzX8

These had a mechanism that coupled the crank handle to downfeed the drill
as it was turned.

Posted to rec.woodworking

If you're looking to drill clean holes in thick timbers, www.woodowl.com has the best augers I've ever used.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry W" wrote

Interesting. I've never seen a forstner with a square shaft. It would be
difficult to use a forstner in a brace because there's no self-feed screw.
Without seeing one, my guess is that the square shaft was designed for use
in a post drill:
http://www.farmcollector.com/tools/a...#axzz2zHCtlzX8

I don't know if the on the OP was talking about is the same kind of bit I
was talking about, but I'm telling you a fact. A square shaft foster
besides for a post drill does exist.

I had a door-know drilling setup (at school) that had a captured forstner
for the knob hole and another for the plunger hole. They had a proprietary
square shaft with a groove under that as I recall that held the bit in the
quick connector. You put a quick connect in the drill (proprietary) and
each of the bits fit this quick connect. You clamp the jig on the door,
drill one, then the other, without having to use a chuck key to change
bits...

I never used it. Not precise enough, or adjustable enough to suit each
different situation. I like to measure.
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Morgans wrote:

"Larry W" wrote

...snipped...
Without seeing one, my guess is that the square shaft was designed for use
in a post drill:

http://www.farmcollector.com/tools/a...#axzz2zHCtlzX8

I don't know if the on the OP was talking about is the same kind of bit I
was talking about, but I'm telling you a fact. A square shaft foster
besides for a post drill does exist.

I had a door-know drilling setup (at school) that had a captured forstner
for the knob hole and another for the plunger hole. They had a proprietary
square shaft with a groove under that as I recall that held the bit in the
quick connector. You put a quick connect in the drill (proprietary) and
each of the bits fit this quick connect. You clamp the jig on the door,
drill one, then the other, without having to use a chuck key to change
bits...

...snipped...

There's all kinds of special tools and rigs out there. One thing for sure,
I've seen enough to know that that there's always something I haven't seen...

Larry W. - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf. lonestar.org

Newbie question Steve B[_10_] Woodworking 7 November 30th 10 01:42 PM
Newbie question chrisj Metalworking 6 September 2nd 05 05:27 AM
drill press help for newbie a6016 Metalworking 5 March 21st 05 03:11 AM
Newbie Question Scott Metalworking 11 February 22nd 05 04:03 PM
OT - hammer drill newbie question John Manders Woodworking 9 January 27th 05 05:19 PM