Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Craigs list. WHY?

If you are a woodworker, why would you spend 900 for something you can
easily make?

http://cnj.craigslist.org/tls/4416028385.html

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/10/14, 10:26 AM, woodchucker wrote:
If you are a woodworker, why would you spend 900 for something you
can easily make?

http://cnj.craigslist.org/tls/4416028385.html

Half of every woodworking catalog is filled with stuff you could make
for 1/4 to 1/3 the price.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/10/2014 11:44 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 4/10/14, 10:26 AM, woodchucker wrote:
If you are a woodworker, why would you spend 900 for something you
can easily make?

http://cnj.craigslist.org/tls/4416028385.html

Half of every woodworking catalog is filled with stuff you could make
for 1/4 to 1/3 the price.

Yep, I realize that, but this is exceptionally high priced for what
would cost about 50-70 to make using 2x4 and an mdf top (compareable to
what was built).

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

"woodchucker" wrote in message
news
If you are a woodworker, why would you spend 900 for something you can
easily make?

Well, the guy's got a fully-equipped metal-working shop and is looking to
find a market for a metal product. To completely mix a metaphor, when what
you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/10/2014 11:57 AM, tdacon wrote:

"woodchucker" wrote in message
news
If you are a woodworker, why would you spend 900 for something you can
easily make?

Well, the guy's got a fully-equipped metal-working shop and is looking
to find a market for a metal product. To completely mix a metaphor, when
what you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Tom

Yea I agree, but what I can't get over is the fact that someone paid
this guy for the first one.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

"woodchucker" wrote in message
news
If you are a woodworker, why would you spend 900 for something you can
easily make?

http://cnj.craigslist.org/tls/4416028385.html

I wouldn't mind having a nice table like that... just need a much bigger
shop and more discretionary cash! ;~)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

Why not. Maybe it will sell.

When you have some time check out the wooden stuff "artists" make. My current favorite is a piece of old wood with holes drilled in it. It is a pencil holder made from "historic" wood.

Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/10/2014 11:06 AM, woodchucker wrote:
On 4/10/2014 11:57 AM, tdacon wrote:

"woodchucker" wrote in message
news
If you are a woodworker, why would you spend 900 for something you can
easily make?

Well, the guy's got a fully-equipped metal-working shop and is looking
to find a market for a metal product. To completely mix a metaphor, when
what you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Tom

Yea I agree, but what I can't get over is the fact that someone paid
this guy for the first one.

Agree, that is pricey. The purchaser should thank his lucky stars it
doesn't say "Festool" ... although the Festool MFT would probably be a
bit cheaper, and a helluva lot more versatile in the long run.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

"woodchucker" wrote in message
news
If you are a woodworker, why would you spend 900 for something you can
easily make?

http://cnj.craigslist.org/tls/4416028385.html

I wouldn't mind having a nice table like that... just need a much bigger
shop and more discretionary cash! ;~)

It is well built for sure, but for approximately $9.00, I'll stick with
mine, exceedingly humble as it is.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...16635631 7218

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, April 10, 2014 10:26:49 AM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:
If you are a woodworker, why would you spend 900 for something you can easily make? http://cnj.craigslist.org/tls/4416028385.html -- Jeff

Apparently, he makes outfeed tables to accommodate shops with unlevel floors, like mine.

He has shims under his table, same as mine. My 4'X6' outfeed table costed $10.... I bought 4 physics lab work tables (formica tops), $20 per pair, at the state surplus auction. They are pretty stout structures.

I ripped one table in half, length wise, and use it for jointer infeed.

I have a table and a half not in use, at the moment.

$900 does seem a bit much.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

http://cnj.craigslist.org/tls/4416028385.html

I wouldn't mind having a nice table like that... just need a much bigger
shop and more discretionary cash! ;~)

It is well built for sure, but for approximately $9.00, I'll stick with
mine, exceedingly humble as it is.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...16635631 7218

Mine is a bit fancier... courtesy of Woodworkers Warehouse folding. On the
last day of their clearance sale I grabbed a side table for a dollar or two.
As I recall the side table was for a Dewalt saw... I ordered a couple Delta
side table legs for it and plowed out some grooves for the miter gauge. I
attached it to the fence with 1/4x20 bolts and wing nuts. On the rare
occasions when I have to move the saw it comes off easily.

This brings back fond (even manic) shopping memories... On the last day of
WW clearance I bought all kinds of stuff... a couple different sets of cope
and stick and a bunch of other shaper cutters, a bunch of rub collars, etc.,
for pennies on the dollar. It seems that shaper accessories were the lowest
demand items so there were lots to choose from on the last day... During
the week before that I picked up a 3 HP Jet cabinet saw with an x-acta
fence, rails, and side table for $800. A bigger dust collector, mobile base
for the cabinet saw, furniture dolly, and a bunch of other stuff... What
makes it even better is that I've actually used almost all of it! LOL

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 10 Apr 2014 11:23:46 -0500, Swingman wrote:

"woodchucker" wrote in message
news
If you are a woodworker, why would you spend 900 for something you can
easily make?

http://cnj.craigslist.org/tls/4416028385.html

I wouldn't mind having a nice table like that... just need a much bigger
shop and more discretionary cash! ;~)

It is well built for sure, but for approximately $9.00, I'll stick with
mine, exceedingly humble as it is.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...16635631 7218

I think I'd like to be able to buy plywood for what you're paying for
it ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/10/2014 12:18 PM, Swingman wrote:
the Festool MFT would probably be a bit cheaper

At Festool prices, I've got a pretty good idea what "MFT" must stand for.

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/10/2014 12:41 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Thursday, April 10, 2014 10:26:49 AM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:
If you are a woodworker, why would you spend 900 for something you can easily make? http://cnj.craigslist.org/tls/4416028385.html -- Jeff

Apparently, he makes outfeed tables to accommodate shops with unlevel floors, like mine.

He has shims under his table, same as mine. My 4'X6' outfeed table costed $10.... I bought 4 physics lab work tables (formica tops), $20 per pair, at the state surplus auction. They are pretty stout structures.

I ripped one table in half, length wise, and use it for jointer infeed.

I have a table and a half not in use, at the moment.

$900 does seem a bit much.

Sonny

I would love to find some chem lab or physics lab soap stone tables, the
black type.. They would make excellent glue up table tops. They are
solid, flat, and you just use a scraper to remove the glue...
Plus you can do all your dirty work on them and just clean them off.
So any mechanical (that you would not drop a motor on and crack it) that
top would be excellent for.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

"woodchucker" wrote:

I would love to find some chem lab or physics lab soap stone tables,
the black type.. They would make excellent glue up table tops. They
are solid, flat, and you just use a scraper to remove the glue...
Plus you can do all your dirty work on them and just clean them off.
So any mechanical (that you would not drop a motor on and crack it)
that top would be excellent for.

Check out your local Home Depot contractors who do the kitchen
rehabs.

Strike a deal with the top guys to get an "OOPS"
top.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/10/2014 3:34 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"woodchucker" wrote:

I would love to find some chem lab or physics lab soap stone tables,
the black type.. They would make excellent glue up table tops. They
are solid, flat, and you just use a scraper to remove the glue...
Plus you can do all your dirty work on them and just clean them off.
So any mechanical (that you would not drop a motor on and crack it)
that top would be excellent for.

Check out your local Home Depot contractors who do the kitchen
rehabs.

Strike a deal with the top guys to get an "OOPS"
top.

Lew

Would love to but until I get employed again, we go into austerity mode.
The jobs are few and far between, and the rates are dropping drastically.

My son will be making more than me when he graduates next month at the
current offer rates. While my foreign counterparts (working here on a
visa) are telling me the numbers they are making is going up. That's
sight unseen... meaning the recruiter has not seen my resume, nor
theirs, but that is the range... so its like the 80's when if a company
did well, their stock went down.. when they did poorly their stock went
up... Funny how things get upside down.

It's been this way for a while. Welcome to AMERICAAAAA.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
If you are a woodworker, why would you spend 900 for something you can
easily make?

Holy Cow! Even if you weren't woodworker - why would you spend $900 on
that? Must be location, location, location...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 10 Apr 2014 11:26:49 -0400, woodchucker
wrote:

If you are a woodworker, why would you spend 900 for something you can
easily make?

http://cnj.craigslist.org/tls/4416028385.html

Maybe if you need a table to park your motorcycle on?

anyone else having problems with craigs list woodchucker[_3_] Woodworking 0 March 26th 14 07:12 PM
OT Craigs List Curran Copeland Woodworking 28 December 26th 07 05:10 PM
Craigs List Record Planes John Grossbohlin Woodworking 0 March 22nd 07 12:48 AM
craigs list virus Lee Woodworking 3 October 31st 06 03:24 PM
Portland, OR Craigs list - 5 lathes [email protected] Metalworking 4 March 16th 06 08:38 PM