Posted to rec.woodworking

Default eWoodShop - Whiskey Barrel Bases

Quick little project, to be stained and finished by client:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...e?noredirect=1

Was thinking about Gregg Guarino's original post and questions
"templates, routers and double-stick tape" when I was making the jig
to do the curved bottom on the already profiled trim for the sides of
the whiskey barrel bases, so added a couple of extra photos and captions
illustrating a simple basic procedure.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/8/2014 3:35 PM, Swingman wrote:
Quick little project, to be stained and finished by client:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...e?noredirect=1

Was thinking about Gregg Guarino's original post and questions
"templates, routers and double-stick tape" when I was making the jig
to do the curved bottom on the already profiled trim for the sides of
the whiskey barrel bases, so added a couple of extra photos and captions
illustrating a simple basic procedure.

Well those are cool and will upstage the barrels! Will the barrels
actually have spirits inside? Nicely done!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/8/2014 4:35 PM, Swingman wrote:
Quick little project, to be stained and finished by client:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...e?noredirect=1

Was thinking about Gregg Guarino's original post and questions
"templates, routers and double-stick tape" when I was making the jig
to do the curved bottom on the already profiled trim for the sides of
the whiskey barrel bases, so added a couple of extra photos and captions
illustrating a simple basic procedure.

Thanks. My somewhat clumsier method worked better than I dared hope, but
I see in your pictures a few things I might do the next time pattern
routing comes up. I predict that it will, by the way; knowing that I can
do it has expanded my "design palette".

Firstly, I will make the template piece such that there is excess
material in the direction of a non-curved surface, and I'll attach
"fence" pieces to it. I made the template identical to the finished
piece all around, making it a chore to attach. I used a few spring
clamps, moving one of them at a time as they got in the way of the
router table.

I should add here that I thought that was an iffy proposition from the
beginning. I figured those first attempts would be for practice; who
knew it would work out the first (and second, third and fourth) time?

Here's the (still in-progress) result:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguar...57641733510634

four matched, curved pieces, and they're not even arcs of a circle.

Secondly, I think I'll have to get some of those toggle clamps. Nothing
protruding below the jig to get in the way of the table as you do the
routing. I assume you move those from jig to jig as needed.

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

Firstly, I will make the template piece such that there is excess

material in the direction of a non-curved surface, and I'll attach

"fence" pieces to it. I made the template identical to the finished

piece all around, making it a chore to attach. I used a few spring

clamps, moving one of them at a time as they got in the way of the

router table.

Yes, if possible, I always make the blanks longer than needed to allow for feed-in and tail-off portions that can be trimmed later. I also "usually" us a toggle clamp or two preferably, as opposed to tape. The toggle clamps end up being nice handles to use while running the cuts. I am often doing this on my shaper and I am spinning a big 2 3/4" dia 3 head cutter with a following bearing at the bottom, so the piece sits on top of the template. With that big meat eater spinning I want good places for my hands to be and as far from the cutter as possible. I have had it grab and throw a time or two and that is all it takes to add some caution.

Biggest hint is to put the blank in template and mark it, then bandsaw the blank first so you are just doing a trim cut when you hit the router/shaper..
Posted to rec.woodworking

Biggest hint is to put the blank in template and mark it, then

bandsaw the blank first so you are just doing a trim cut when you hit
the router/shaper.

No band saw here, I'm afraid. But I did cut the blanks with a jigsaw first.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguar...57641733510634

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 3:35:20 PM UTC-5, Swingman wrote:
Quick little project, to be stained and finished by client:

Nice project.

I'm curious. What will the whiskey barrels be used for, be used as? I assume they will be placed in a home (decorative?) setting. If so, specifically what setting, if you know? *Even better would be a pic, of its use, if that would be/become available.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 08 Apr 2014 15:35:20 -0500, Swingman wrote:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...e?noredirect=1
the whiskey barrel bases, so added a couple of extra photos and captions
illustrating a simple basic procedure.

Pretty fancy for barrels. Are they special barrels of whiskey on
display for some reason?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/9/2014 5:27 AM, Sonny wrote:

On 4/9/2014 5:27 AM, wrote:

Pretty fancy for barrels. Are they special barrels of whiskey on
display for some reason?

Nice project.

Thanks. Not much too it ... the devil is in getting the details of what
the client wants out of their heads. IOW, one of those little side
projects with just enough challenge to suss out what the client wants,
but not lose any sleep/money over.

I'm curious. What will the whiskey barrels be used for, be used as? I assume they will be placed in a home (decorative?) setting. If so, specifically what setting, if you know? *Even better would be a pic, of its use, if that would be/become available.

Client has an existing "barrel cabinet", and has ordered another.
Apparently there is a market for whiskey and wine barrel cabinets ...
similar to this (have no idea where he bought them):

http://www.winevine-imports.com/wine...net-on-casters

As you can see, they are not inexpensive.

Client's existing "barrel cabinet" is in a formal dining room, in a
$1.5m+ residence. I assume it is used for serving purposes, thus the
ability to roll around easily.

I asked the usual questions about load, use, etc, but did not delve to
deep into "purpose" ...just enough to build exactly what they wanted,
without it falling apart in the next hundred years or so.

Clients concerns were size, trim design, height off floor, being
"furniture like" and that it fit into existing decor, thus the use of
what is basically red oak "door casing" for the base trim/sides, with a
separate "feet" attached.

(such profiled casing is flat on only one side, and is only coplanar for
3/4" at the top and bottom of the flat side, thus the need to fiddle
around with router jig marking to keep the curve cut perpendicular to
that plane)

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/8/2014 6:32 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Secondly, I think I'll have to get some of those toggle clamps. Nothing
protruding below the jig to get in the way of the table as you do the
routing. I assume you move those from jig to jig as needed.

Absolutely. I have a dozen or so of various sizes and have used them on
literally hundreds of like jigs.

The number I use usually depends upon the size of the curve/profile
being cut.

In this case, the middle one was necessary because the trim picked out
by the client was in short supply, and some pieces had more bow/crown in
them than you want when making a router cut that needs to be
perpendicular to a (the only) flat side ... the middle toggle clamp did
the trick.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/9/2014 9:08 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 4/9/2014 5:27 AM, Sonny wrote:

On 4/9/2014 5:27 AM, wrote:

[...]

;`)

Home Depot sells the Jack Daniels whiskey barrels by the half. Two
halves for reassembly would cost $60 and some change for tax.

Client's existing "barrel cabinet" is in a formal dining room, in a
$1.5m+ residence. I assume it is used for serving purposes, thus the
ability to roll around easily.

I asked the usual questions about load, use, etc, but did not delve to
deep into "purpose" ...just enough to build exactly what they wanted,
without it falling apart in the next hundred years or so.

Clients concerns were size, trim design, height off floor, being
"furniture like" and that it fit into existing decor, thus the use of
what is basically red oak "door casing" for the base trim/sides, with a
separate "feet" attached.

(such profiled casing is flat on only one side, and is only coplanar for
3/4" at the top and bottom of the flat side, thus the need to fiddle
around with router jig marking to keep the curve cut perpendicular to
that plane)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/9/2014 12:33 PM, Leon wrote:
On 4/9/2014 9:08 AM, Swingman wrote:

Client has an existing "barrel cabinet", and has ordered another.
Apparently there is a market for whiskey and wine barrel cabinets ...
similar to this (have no idea where he bought them):

http://www.winevine-imports.com/wine...net-on-casters

As you can see, they are not inexpensive.

Home Depot sells the Jack Daniels whiskey barrels by the half. Two
halves for reassembly would cost $60 and some change for tax.

Yabbut they haven't been Kalifornicated yet ... adds another whole
dimension of perceived value to the ignoran.. errr initiated.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/9/2014 1:58 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 4/9/2014 12:33 PM, Leon wrote:
On 4/9/2014 9:08 AM, Swingman wrote:

Client has an existing "barrel cabinet", and has ordered another.
Apparently there is a market for whiskey and wine barrel cabinets ...
similar to this (have no idea where he bought them):

http://www.winevine-imports.com/wine...net-on-casters

As you can see, they are not inexpensive.

Home Depot sells the Jack Daniels whiskey barrels by the half. Two
halves for reassembly would cost $60 and some change for tax.

Yabbut they haven't been Kalifornicated yet ... adds another whole
dimension of perceived value to the ignoran.. errr initiated.

Twue. And that charred interior would probably not pass the
cancer/sniff test.

This reminds me of the home show that we went to a couple of weeks ago.
They were selling what appeared to be wooden kegs, beer keg sized, and
a bit smaller for two to three hundred dollars.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, April 9, 2014 9:08:44 AM UTC-5, Swingman wrote:
Client has an existing "barrel cabinet", and has ordered another. Apparently there is a market for whiskey and wine barrel cabinets ...

I have an old wooden barrel, salvaged from my grandfather's barn, with a few rat/mouse chewed areas, but it's pretty much intact. It was used as a honey collection barrel. The wooden lid had a hand crank spinner apparatus, on top/attached to it, that spun the honey comb, within the barrel, allowing the honey to be flung out and dripped down the sides of the barrel. I don't have the lid and spinner apparatus.

This barrel may be about 40" tall, 24" diameter. I'm at a loss as to what I might do with the barrel. Like olive oil barrels, as decor, I don't need any more of those and I don't need another large pot-plant holder. A wine barrel cabinet isn't so appealing, to me, either.... I'd prefer not to cut it, in any way.

I'm fishing for an idea that's different, unique(?), if possible. I'm simply at a loss as to what I might do with it, either for myself or for someone else, and, at the same time, preserve it, intact. I dislike disfiguring an old relic as this.

Thanks for the feedback.
Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 10 Apr 2014 06:52:25 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

[...]

Filled with sand and some oil makes a great place to store shovels.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/10/2014 8:52 AM, Sonny wrote:
This barrel may be about 40" tall, 24" diameter. I'm at a loss as to what I might do with the barrel. Like olive oil barrels, as decor, I don't need any more of those and I don't need another large pot-plant holder. A wine barrel cabinet isn't so appealing, to me, either.... I'd prefer not to cut it, in any way.

I'm fishing for an idea that's different, unique(?), if possible. I'm simply at a loss as to what I might do with it, either for myself or for someone else, and, at the same time, preserve it, intact. I dislike disfiguring an old relic as this.

We used a half dozen whiskey barrels in the feed room when I was kid. A
race/performance horse might often require a different mix of feed stuff
depending upon its training schedule, so we had need of quite a few of them.

Used some of them later for western saddle racks, but like you, couldn't
find much of a use for them except for what they were intended to do ...
hold something inside.

I don't like making a "cabinet" out of them either; and they are, after
all, "containers" ... and it has proved difficult, if not impossible, to
get your mind out of that box/barrel.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 10 Apr 2014 06:52:25 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
I'm fishing for an idea that's different, unique(?), if possible.

Obviously, put a beer keg inside it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/10/2014 9:52 AM, Sonny wrote:
[...]

Might consider putting some weight in the bottom, false plug the open
top and affix a piece of glass ontop ...perfect for a small end-table on
a covered porch or deck. Or, put a chess board ontop and...

--

Digger
Bob O'Dell

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Digger" wrote

I'm fishing for an idea that's different, unique(?), if possible.
I'm simply at a loss as to what I might do with it, either for myself
or for someone else, and, at the same time, preserve it, intact. I
dislike disfiguring an old relic as this.

Well, there is the old standby use of a barrel. Plug the ends and ride it
over Niagara Falls. Al kinds of folks have done this. I sure there is some
kind of internet gathering place for folks who want or do this kind of
thing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 10 Apr 2014 14:21:21 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
Well, there is the old standby use of a barrel. Plug the ends and ride it
over Niagara Falls. Al kinds of folks have done this. I sure there is some
kind of internet gathering place for folks who want or do this kind of
thing.

http://www.niagarafallslive.com/dare...gara_falls.htm
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Small plant holder, not large. ;~)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/13764072643/

OT Whiskey Mr Pounder[_2_] UK diy 70 June 17th 12 11:35 PM
Connect 5/16" OD 22LR steel barrel liner to larger OD barrel? [email protected] Metalworking 2 August 11th 11 10:53 PM
The Art of Making Whiskey Weatherlawyer UK diy 14 June 28th 08 08:46 AM
The Art of Making Whiskey Weatherlawyer UK diy 2 June 25th 08 12:03 AM
The Art of Making Whiskey Weatherlawyer UK diy 0 June 24th 08 11:56 PM