Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The Art of Making Whiskey

Project Gutenberg's The Art of Making Whiskey, by Anthony Boucherie

This eBook is for the use of anyone anywhere at no cost and with
almost no restrictions whatsoever. You may copy it, give it away or
re-use it under the terms of the Project Gutenberg License included
with this eBook or online at www.gutenberg.org

Title: The Art of Making Whiskey
So As to Obtain a Better, Purer, Cheaper and Greater
Quantity of Spirit, From a Given Quantity of Grain

Author: Anthony Boucherie

Translator: C. M.

Release Date: May 24, 2007 [EBook #21592]

Language: English

Character set encoding: ISO-8859-1

*** START OF THIS PROJECT GUTENBERG EBOOK THE ART OF MAKING WHISKEY
***

Produced by Robert Cicconetti, Marcia Brooks and the Online
Distributed Proofreading Team at http://www.pgdp.net

[Pg 1]
THE ART
OF
MAKING WHISKEY,
SO AS TO OBTAIN A BETTER, PURER, CHEAPER AND GREATER
QUANTITY OF SPIRIT,
FROM A GIVEN QUANTITY OF GRAIN.
ALSO,
THE ART OF CONVERTING IT INTO GIN.
AFTER THE
PROCESS OF THE HOLLAND DISTILLERS,
WITHOUT ANY AUGMENTATION OF PRICE.
By ANTHONY BOUCHERIE,
OF LEXINGTON, KY.
TRANSLATED FROM THE FRENCH
By C. M*******

LEXINGTON, KY.
PRINTED BY WORSLEY & SMITH.
1819

Transcriber's Note: This edition is from Microfiche. All originals
were marked "Photographed from an imperfect copy." Printer errors have
been left as is, but noted. The accuracy of some of the numbers cannot
be accounted for where the original was exceptionally difficult to
read. Where applicable, any changes are noted with a mouse over
Original Text. A table of contents has been added to the HTML which is
not present in the text version. Any other inconsistencies were left
as in the original.

[Pg 2]
CONTENTS

* PREFACE.5
* CHAPTER I.7
* CHAPTER II.8
* CHAPTER III.11
* CHAPTER IV.13
* CHAPTER V.17
* CHAPTER VI18
* CHAPTER VII.21
* CHAPTER VIII.22
* CHAPTER IX.24
* CHAPTER X.25
* CHAPTER XI.26
* CHAPTER XII.29
* CHAPTER XIII.32
* CHAPTER XIV.33
* CHAPTER XV.36
* THE ART OF MAKING GIN39

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,

District of Kentucky, to wit:

Be it remembered, That on the 10th day of December, in the year of our
Lord, 1818, and the forty-third year of the Independence of the United
States of America, came Anthony Boucherie, of the said district, and
deposited in this office, a copy of the title of a book, the right
whereof he claims as author and proprietor, in the words and figures
following, viz:

"The Art of making Whiskey, so as to obtain a better, purer, cheaper
and greater quantity of Spirit from a given quantity of Grain: Also,
the art of converting it into Gin, after the process of the Holland
Distillers, without any augmentation in the price.—By Anthony
Boucherie:"

In conformity to the act of Congress of the United States, entitled
"An act for the encouragement of learning, by securing the copies of
maps, charts and books to the authors and proprietors of such copies
during the times therein mentioned." And also to an act, entitled "An
act supplementary to an act, entitled an act for the encouragement of
learning, by securing the copies of maps, charts and books to the
authors and proprietors of such copies, during the times therein
mentioned, and extending the benefits thereof to the arts of designing
and etching historical and other prints."

JOHN H. HANNA,

Clerk of the District of Kentucky.

[Pg 3]

TO THE

HONOURABLE LEGISLATURE

OF THE

STATE OF KENTUCKY.

Gentlemen of the Senate,
and of the House of Representatives,

An immense and most fertile country, a republic where every
individual enjoys the most unbounded freedom; such are the advantages
which characterise the United States of America, and render them the
asylum of the oppressed Europeans. I was one of the number, and as
early as January, 1808, congress enacted a law dispensing me with the
usual term of two years residence, for obtaining a patent.

It is the duty of every citizen to contribute to the progress of
useful knowledge, for the benefit and prosperity of his native or
adopted country. It is under that point of view that I now publish The
Art of Making Whiskey, so as to obtain a greater quantity of Spirit
from a given quantity of Grain; the spirit thus obtained being purer
and cheaper. Also, the Art of converting it into Gin, according to the
process of the Holland Distillers, without making it dearer.
This next paragraph is incomplete

Give me leave, gentlemen, to publish this little work under the
patronage of the enlightened Legislature of the state which I have
chosen for my residence is undoubtedly of a general utility fo— [Pg 4]
but more particularly an agricultural state, such as this, where every
thing that contributes to the success of agriculture, adds to the
welfare of the commonwealth. It is therefore to promote that desirable
end, that I hereby renounce all the privileges granted me eight years
ago, for the distiller's apparatus, of which I give here a
description. I invite all distillers to use it the more confidently,
as a long experience has proved to me its utility. In describing the
art of converting Whiskey into Gin, according to the process of the
Holland Distillers, I flatter myself, that I give a greater value to a
national production usually neglected throughout the continent, and
which will be the principle of a considerable produce. Henceforth the
Gin of the United States will be an important article of exportation
for their outward trade, as well as for home consumption.
Receive, gentlemen, the
Assurances of my
Profound Respect,
A. BOUCHERIE.

[Library stamp: IMPERFECT IN ORIGINAL]

[Pg 5]
PREFACE.

The most usual drink in the United States, is whiskey; other
spirituous liquors, such as peach and apple brandy, are only
secondary, and from their high price and their scarcity, they are not
sufficient for the wants of an already immense and increasing
population. As to wine, in spite of all the efforts and repeated
trials made to propagate the grape-vine, there is as yet no hopes,
that it may in time become the principal drink of the Americans.

To turn our enquiries towards the means of bringing the art of making
whiskey to greater perfection, is therefore, to contribute to the
welfare of the United States, and even to the health of the Americans,
and to the prosperity of the distiller, as I will prove in the sequel.

The arts and sciences have made great progress; my aim is to diffuse
new light on every thing that relates to the formation of spirituous
liquors that may be obtained from grains. Most arts and trades are
practised without principles, perhaps from the want of the means of
information. For the advantage of the distillers of whiskey, I will
collect and offer them the means of obtaining from a given quantity of
grain, the greatest possible quantity of spirit, purer and cheaper
than by the usual methods. I shall then proceed to indicate the
methods of converting whiskey into gin, according to the process of
the Holland Distillers, without heightening its price.

If the principles hereafter developed are followed, the trade of
distiller will acquire great advantages, that will spread their
influence on agriculture, and consequently on commerce in general.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

THE ART
OF
MAKING WHISKEY, &c.
CHAPTER I.
OF SPIRITUOUS LIQUORS, OR SPIRITS.

Spirituous liquors are the produce of vinous ones, obtained by the
distillation of these last. The art of making wine is of the remotest
antiquity, since it is attributed to Noah; but that of distilling it,
so as to extract its most spirituous part, dates only from the year
1300. Arnand de Villeneuve was the inventor of it, and the produce of
his Still appeared so marvellous, that it was named Aqua-Vitæ, or
Water of Life, and has ever since continued under that denomination in
France; Voltaire and reason say that it might, with far more
propriety, be called Aqua-Mortis, or Water of Death.

This liquor, called in English, Brandy, received from the learned the
name of Spirit of Wine; time improved the art of making it still
stronger by concentration, and in that state it is called Alcohol.

All spirit is the distilled result of a wine, either of grapes, other
fruits, or grains; it is therefore necessary to have either wine, or
any vinous liquor, in order to obtain spirits.[Pg 8]
CHAPTER II.
OF THE FORMATION OF VINOUS LIQUORS WITH GRAINS, IN ORDER TO MAKE
SPIRITS.

The art of extracting wine from the juice of the grape, not being the
object of this book, I shall confine myself to what is necessary and
useful to the distillers of whiskey; it is therefore of the vinous
liquor extracted from grains, that I am going to speak.

The formation of that kind of liquor is founded upon a faculty
peculiar to grains, which the learned chymist, Fourcroy, has called
saccharine fermentation. Sugar itself does not exist in gramineous
substances; they only contain its elements, or first principles, which
produce it. The saccharine fermentation converts those elements into
sugar, or at least into a saccharine matter; and when this is
developed, it yields the eminent principle of fermentation, without
which there exists no wine, and consequently no spirit.

Grains yield two kinds of vinous liquors, of which the distiller makes
spirit, and the brewer a sort of wine, called beer. From a comparison
of the processes employed to obtain these two results, it will be
found that the brewer's art has attained a higher degree of perfection
than that of the distiller. They both have for their object to obtain
a vinous liquor; but that of the brewer is, in reality, a sort of wine
to which he gives, at pleasure, different degrees of strength; while
that of the distiller is scarcely vinous, and cannot be made richer. I
will give a succinct exposition of their two processes in order that
they may be compared.
OF THE ART OF BREWING.

The art of brewing consists:

1st. In the sprouting of a proportion of grain, chiefly[Pg 9] barley.
This operation converts into a saccharine matter, the elements of that
same substance already existing in grains.

2dly. In preparing the wort. For that operation, the grain, having
been previously ground, is put into a vat, which is half filled up
with water; the rest is filled up at three different times with hot
water—the first at 100°, the second at 150°, and the third at 212°,
which is boiling water. The mixture is strongly stirred each time that
it is immersed. By this infusion, the water lays hold of the sweet
principles contained in the grain.

3dly. The wort thus prepared, the liquor is filtrated, in order to
separate it from the grain, and then boiled until reduced to one half,
in order to concentrate it to the degree of strength desired. In that
state, 40 gallons of wort contain the saccharine principles of 200 wt.
of grain.

4thly. The wort, thus concentrated, is drawn off in barrels, which are
kept in a temperature of 80° or 85°. The yeast is thrown into it to
establish the fermentation, and in a short time beer is made, more or
less strong, according to the degree of concentration, and more or
less bitter, according to the greater or lesser proportion of hops put
into it.

Such are, in a concise view, the proceedings of the brewer. Let us
proceed to those of the distiller of whiskey.
OF THE DISTILLER OF WHISKEY.

Whiskey is made either with rye, barley, or Indian corn. One, or all
those kinds of grains is used, as they are more or less abundant in
the country. I do not know how far they are mixed in Kentucky; but[Pg
10] Indian corn is here in general the basis of whiskey, and more
often employed alone.

I have ascertained, in the different distilleries which I have visited
in the United States—

1stly. That, in general, the grain is not sprouted. I have, however,
seen some distillers who put 10lbs. of malt into a hogshead of
fermentation containing 100 gallons, which reduces it to almost
nothing.

2dly. That they put two bushels of ground grain into a hogshead of
fermentation containing 100 gallons, filled up with water.

3dly. They had a ferment to determine the fermentation, which, when
finished, yields two gallons of whiskey per bushel of grain, and
sometimes ten quarts, but very seldom. I do not know whether those
results are exact; but, supposing them to be so, they must be subject
to great variations, according to the quality of the grain, the
season, the degree of heat, of the atmosphere, and the manner of
conducting the fermentation. From my analysing the different sorts of
grains, I know that Indian corn must yield the most spirit.

From the above proportions, it results, that 100 gallons of the vinous
liquor of distillers yield only 4 gallons of whiskey, and very seldom
5; that is, from a 25th to a 20th. It is easy to conceive how weak a
mixture, 25 parts of water to one of whiskey, must be; thus the
produce of the first distillation is only at 11° or 12° by the
areometer, the water being at 10°. It is only by several subsequent
distillations, that the necessary concentration is obtained, to make
saleable whiskey. These repeated operations are attended with an
increased expense of fuel, labor, and time.

Such are the usual methods of the whiskey distillers. Before we
compare them with those of the brewer,[Pg 11] let us examine the
nature of fermentation, and what are the elements the most proper to
form a good vinous liquor: thence we shall judge with certainty, of
those two ways of operating.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

CHAPTER III.
OF FERMENTATION.

"Fermentation is a spontaneous and intestine motion, which takes place
amongst the principles of organic substance deprived of life, the
maximum of which always tends to change the nature of bodies, and
gives rise to the formation of new productions."

Bouillon la Grange.—Manual of a Course of Chymistry.

Fermentation has long since been divided into spirituous, acid, and
putrid.

It is only since the revival or new epoch of chymistry, that the
learned have been occupied in researches on fermentation. I was the
first who gave a new hint on this important part of natural
philosophy, in 1785. It was then held as certain, that the saccharine
substance was the principle of spirituous fermentation. A series of
experiments enabled me to demonstrate the contrary, for I obtained a
well crystallized sugar by the fermentation of a substance which
produces none by any other means.

In September, 1785, I read a memoir to the Academy of Sciences, at
Paris. In that memoir I developed my theory. That learned body
nominated four commissioners, for the purpose of examining my
operations, and sanctioned my discovery by a report, in[Pg 12] which
it was acknowledged that I had discovered a new truth, and ordered the
insertion of my memoir in the collection of those of the Foreign
Associates. I attributed the principle of the spirituous fermentation
to the mucilaginous substance. This has been since demonstrated, by
attentively observing that it always begins with a motion of acid
fermentation, which is produced by the mucilaginous substance. The
European chymists have since reasoned upon fermentation; each of them
has produced a new system; none have been able to bring it to a
regular demonstration; and the learned Gay Lussac has said, that
fermentation is one of the most mysterious operations of chymistry. Be
that as it may, there are facts that are ascertained: let us endeavor
to investigate them, that we may derive from them all the information
which is necessary to us.

It is incontestable that spirits are produced by the saccharine
substance. Grains, however, supply it, although they are not sensibly
sweet. This has made me suspect that the fermentation is at first
saccharine, which produces the sweet substance that is necessary for
the formation of spirit. It is thus that, by a series of internal
motions, the fermentation causes the formation of the spirit to be
preceded by a slight production of acid; that it transforms the vinous
liquor into vinegar, which the same fermentation changes in time into
an animal substance, destroyed in its turn by the putrid fermentation.
Such are the progressive changes operated by this all-disorganizing
phenomenon, and the unerring march of nature to bring back all
substances to their respective elements.

The necessary conditions for the formation of vinous fermentation, are

[Pg 13]

* 1st. The presence of the saccharine substance.
* 2dly. That of a vegeto-animal substance, commonly called
ferment, and soluble in water.
* 3dly. A certain quantity of water.
* 4thly. A temperature of 70° to 75°.
* 5thly. A sufficient mass.

When these are obtained, in a short time the liquor becomes turbid; it
bubbles, from the disengaging of the carbonic acid gaz, and the heat
increases considerably. After some days, these impetuous motions
subside; the fermentation ceases by degrees; the liquor clears up;
then it emits a vinous smell and taste. As soon as it ferments no
more, it must be distilled. However, some distillers have asserted
that a greater quantity of spirit is obtained when the liquor has
acquired a certain degree of acidity. Others are of opinion that it
must be distilled as soon as it is calm. I am of this opinion, because
the acid can only be formed at the expense of a little of the spirit,
which is one of the principles of the acetous acid. Besides, the
longer the liquor remains in a mass, the more spirit is wasted by
evaporation.
CHAPTER IV.
OF THE PROPORTIONS OF THE ELEMENTS NECESSARY TO FORM A GOOD VINOUS
LIQUOR.

What are the proportions of the elements necessary to form a good
vinous liquor?

We owe the important knowledge of those proportions to the celebrated
and unfortunate Lavoisier, who[Pg 14] has proved, by the most accurate
experiments, that there must be
100 parts of dry sweet substance, or sugar
400 parts of water
10 parts of ferment, or liquid yeast, which is reduced
—— to 8 7-10ths of dry matter.

510 parts in the whole, which produce 57 parts of dry alcohol; that
is, containing no more water than is necessary to its formation, and
consequently as strong as it can be. Let us dwell for a moment upon
the proportions just pointed out, and especially upon their result,
which exceeds any thing that has ever been obtained. Supposing the
weight of each of those parts to be one pound, we shall have
100 lbs. of dry sweet Substance, or sugar
400 do. of water
10 do. of liquid ferment
——
510 pounds in the whole.
100 lbs. of sugar is the quantity required to make 12½ gallons of
sirup, composed of 8lbs. of sugar and 8lbs. of water per gallon, 12½
galls.
400 lbs. of water, at 8lbs. per gall. make 50 "

The produce will be 57lbs. of dry alcohol.
TR: Poor quality made it difficult to verify the above numbers and so
noted with an asterisk

A vessel containing one ounce of water, filled up with this alcohol,
weighs only 16dwts. and 16grs. From this report, it appears that the
specific weight of the alcohol is, to the weight of the water, as 20
to 24; that is, that water weighs 1/5 more than alcohol. If the 57lbs.
thus obtained were only water, it would only represent 7-1/8* gallons;
but being alcohol, it weighs 1/6* less, and consequently gives 7-1/8
gallons more, the sixth of this quantity, (to wit 1-1/6* gallons,
which, added to 7-1/8*, make 8-7/24 gallons.

[Pg 15]

But 1 gallon of dry alcohol, extended in 2 gallons of water, gives 3
gallons of liquor at 19°, which is called Holland, or first proof; a
produce surpassing all what has been hitherto known to the distillers.
I will prove it by an example: 1 gallon of molasses yields only 1
gallon of rum, at 19°, to the rum distiller; still, molasses is a true
sirup, composed of 8lbs. of sugar, or sweet matter, more fermentable
than sugar. 12½ gallons of molasses, representing 100lbs. of dry sweet
matter yield consequently 12½ galls. of rum, Holland proof, which is
only half the produce obtained by Lavoisier; an immense difference
capable of exciting the emulation of all distillers, as it proves the
imperfection of the art.

What are the causes of such a dissimilarity of product? We must seek
for them.

1st. In the difference of the strength of the vinous liquor. Lavoisier
employed only 4 parts of water to 1 part of dry sugar. The rum
distiller usually puts 10 gallons of molasses to 90 gallons of water,
or the residue of the preceding distillations.

10 galls. molasses contain

80 lbs. of sweet matter.

90 gallons of water weigh 720lbs.; therefore the proportion is, one
part of sweet matter to 9 parts of water—whilst that indicated by
Lavoisier is only 4 parts of water to 1 part of sugar.[a]

It is obvious how much richer this last must be, and that the
fermentation thus produced has an energy far[Pg 16] superior to the
other. Thence results a rapid production of spirit, operated in a
short time; whilst that of the rum distiller languishes more or less,
and a slow fermentation wastes part of the spirit which it produces,
even as it is forming.

2dly. Bodies evaporate in proportion to the extent of their surface.
One hogshead of 100 gallons, should contain, according to Lavoisier's
composition, the elements of 50 gallons of spirit, at 19°; whilst that
of the rum distiller contains only 12. Now, as every fermentable
liquor requires open vessels, the hogshead of the rum distiller loses
as much spirit as that of Lavoisier: hence it is plain how far the
above proportion operates to the disadvantage of the fermer.

3dly. Another source of loss arises in the distilling vessels
themselves. Nothing is more imperfect than the stills of a whiskey
distillery. Lavoisier's were so perfect, that he made the analysis and
the synthesis in the most delicate operations. [b] The vessels of the
whiskey distillers, far from being hermetically closed, allow the
spirit to evaporate through every joint. And this is not all: corroded
by the acetous acid, they are full of small holes, particularly in the
cap, where all the vapors collect themselves, as in a reservoir. It is
easy to conceive with what rapidity they escape, which occasions a
considerable waste of liquor. In proof of the truth of this
observation, we may refer to the smell of whiskey, so strongly
perceivable on the roads leading to a distillery, and preceeding from
no other cause than that liquor wasting out of bad vessels, to the
great loss of the distiller.[Pg 17]

4thly. A fourth cause of loss arises from the worm of the still.
However careful in keeping the surrounding water cool, there is always
one portion of vapor not condensed. This is made more sensible in the
winter, when the cold of the atmosphere makes every vapor visible;
upon examination, it will be seen that the running stream of liquor is
surrounded with it. In my description of my apparatus, I give the
means of obviating that evil.

To these several causes, may we not add another? May not the
production of spirit be in a ratio to the richness of the fermenting
liquor? It is certain, that in every spirituous fermentation there is
a portion of the sweet matter which remains undecomposed and in its
original state. Lavoisier found that it was 4.940; that is, nearly 5
parts in 100. It may possibly be the same in a weaker liquor; which
would increase the loss, in the inverse ratio of the density of the
liquor. Such are the causes to which I attribute the great superiority
of Lavoisier's products; and from those observations I thought I could
establish the fabrication of whiskey upon new principles.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

CHAPTER V.
A COMPARISON OF THE PROCESSES OF THE BREWER WITH THOSE OF THE WHISKEY
DISTILLER.

From the experiments of one of the most learned chymists of Europe, it
has been demonstrated, that the proportions the most advantageous to
the formation of a good vinous liquor, are, one part of dry sweet
substance to four parts of water; that is, that the sugar[Pg 18] must
form one fifth of the whole. We have, moreover, seen that 100lbs. of
dry sweet matter gave 25 gallons of spirit 19°, which comes to 4lbs.
of sugar per gallon.

We shall make use of that scale in comparing the processes of the
brewer with those of the whiskey distiller.

Supposing the bushel of grain to weigh 50 pounds, and that it gives 2
gallons of whiskey at 19°, each of which gallons is the product of
4lbs. of sugar; then the strong beer which contains in 40 gallons the
sweet matter of 200lbs. of grain, contains the elements of 8 gallons
of spirit, or 32lbs. of dry sweet substance; and as the 40 gallons of
this beer weigh 320lbs. the 32lbs. of sugar form only one-tenth of it,
which is one half of Lavoisier's proportions.

Those of the distiller of whiskey are 100lbs. of grain to 100 gallons
of water, or thereabouts: 100lbs. of grain contain only 16lbs. of dry
sweet matter: therefore, as the 100 gallons of vinous liquor weigh
800lbs. the 16lbs. of sugar form only its fiftieth part.

Thence is seen how inferior the proportions of the whiskey distiller
are to those of the brewer, and how far they are from good theory. But
the brewer aims only at producing a sort of wine, and succeeds; while,
the distiller wants to make spirit, and only obtains it in the manner
the most expensive, and opposed to his own interest.
CHAPTER VI
DEFECTS IN THE USUAL METHOD OF MAKING WHISKEY.

1st. The most hurtful of all for the interests of the distillers, is
undoubtedly the weakness of the vinous[Pg 19] liquor. We have seen
that the proportion of spirit is in a ratio to the richness of the
fermenting liquor; that Lavoisier, by putting one-fifth of the mass of
dry sugar, obtained twice as much spirit as the rum distiller, who
puts in the same quantity, but drowns it in water. From those
principles, which are not contested, the distiller, whose vinous
liquor contains only one-fiftieth part of sweet matter, obtains the
less spirit, and loses as much of it as he gets.

2dly. Another defect is joined to this: bodies are dissolved by reason
of their affinity with the dissolving principle; the mucilaginous
substance is as soluble in water as the saccharine substance. A mass
of 100 gallons of water having only 16lbs. of sugar to dissolve,
exerts it's dissolving powers upon the mucilaginous part which abounds
in grains, and dissolves a great quantity of it. There results from
that mixture, a fermentation partaking of the spirit and the acid, and
if the temperature of the atmosphere is moderate, the acid invades the
spirit, which is one of its principles: nothing remains but vinegar,
and the hopes of the distiller are deceived.

Some distillers have been induced, by the smallness of their products,
to put in their stills, not only the fluid of the liquor, but the
flour itself. Hence result two important defects. 1st. The solid
matter precipitates itself to the bottom of the still, where it burns,
and gives a very bad taste to the whiskey. In order to remedy this
inconvenience, it has been imagined to stir the flour incessantly, by
means of a chain dragged at the bottom of the still, and put in motion
by an axis passing through the cap, and turned by a workman until the
ebullition takes place. This axis, however well fitted to the[Pg 20]
aperture, leaves an empty space, and gives an issue to the spirituous
vapors, which escaping with rapidity, thereby occasion a considerable
loss of spirit.

3dly. The presence of the grain in the still, converted into meal, is
not otherwise indifferent. It contains a kind of essential oil, more
or less disagreeable, according to its nature; which distils with the
spirit. That of Indian corn, in particular, is more noxious than that
of any other grain; and it is the presence of meal in the stills,
which causes the liquors obtained from grains to be so much inferior
to that of fruits.

4thly. There is a fourth defect, at which humanity shudders, and which
the laws ought to repress. Vinous liquors are more or less accompanied
with acetone acid, or vinegar; but those proceeding from grain contain
still more of this acid. The stills are generally made of naked
copper; the acid works upon that metal, and forms with it the acetate
of copper, or verdigrise, part of which passes with the whiskey. There
is no distiller, who, with a little attention, has not observed it. I
have always discovered it in my numerous rectifications, and at the
end of the operation, when nothing more comes from the still but what
is called the sweet oil of wine. An incontestable proof of this truth
is, that as the stills of the distillers are of a green color in their
interior part; that they are corroded with the acid, and pierced with
numberless little holes, which render them unfit for use in a very
short time. It is easy to conceive how hurtful must be the presence of
verdigrise to those who make use of whiskey as a constant drink: even
those who use it soberly, swallow a slow poison, destructive of their
stomach; while to those who abuse it, it produces a rapid death, which
would[Pg 21] still be the consequence of abuse, if the liquor was
pure, but is doubly accelerated by the poison contained in the
whiskey. It is easy to remedy so terrible an evil. The acetous acid
has no action upon tin. By tinning the stills, the purity of the
liquor will be augmented, and the distilling vessels, already so
expensive, will be longer preserved. This operation must be renewed
every year. The worms must likewise be tinned, if they are copper; but
they are better of tin, or of the purest pewter.

Such are the defects of the present method of distilling whiskey.
Having exposed them, I must present the means of bringing to
perfection the fabrication of a liquor of such general use.
CHAPTER VII.
DESCRIPTION OF THE PROCESS THE MOST ADVANTAGEOUS TO MAKE WHISKEY.
TR: The next 2 paragraphs were cut short, noted with[*]

As it is demonstrated that the spirit is the more abundant in
proportion to the richness of the vinous liquor,* it is therefore
necessary to enrich that of the distillery* which is so deficient in
that respect. An exposition of* my processes will point out the means
I employ to attain* that end. A large whiskey distillery should be*
able to make 100 gallons per day, or three barrels* making altogether
that quantity.

One gallon of spirit being the produce of 4 pounds* of dry saccharine
matter, we must therefore have 400 pounds of this substance for the
100 gallons we wish to obtain.

If 1 bushel of grain gives 2 gallons of whiskey, there must be 50 to
obtain a daily result of 100 gallons. I[Pg 22] take Indian corn as the
basis of the fabrication, as that of all the grains which yields the
most. For, from my method, whatever grain is employed, the spirit is
equally pure.

I divide the still house into three different rooms, to wit:

One for Infusion;

One for Fermentation;

One for Distillation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

CHAPTER VIII.
THE ROOM OF INFUSION.

It is here that the liquor destined to make whiskey, should be
prepared, and made rich enough to procure a good fermentation. To this
effect, there must be a mill with a vertical stone, moved by a horse,
or any other means of motion. Those mills are too well known for me to
describe them more amply. The corn must be coarsely ground, so as
scarcely to be broke into three or four pieces: consequently the stone
must not be too heavy, for, at all events, the grain had better be too
coarse than too fine. That mill should be placed in the infusion room,
so as not to keep it dirty, nor to be too much in the way. It must
grind, or rather break, 50 bushels per day.

There must be a square kettle, 4 feet broad, 5 feet long, 1 foot deep.
The kettle must be made in sheets of copper, one line thick, at least:
the bottom, although flat, should have a slight swell inside, so as to
avoid the expansion of the metal outside, from the action of the fire.
This kettle must be placed upon a brick fur[Pg 23]nace, so that the
longest parts should bear forwards, and the other against the chimney,
from which it must be separated by a brick wall eight or nine inches.
The sides, around which there must be a space to walk freely, should
be supported by a wall 1½ feet deep; the fore part upon such a wall,
in the middle of which is an iron door, fifteen inches square, in an
iron frame, through which the fuel is introduced.

The kettle is mounted upon the furnace, so as to bear upon the four
walls about 4 inches, and rests upon a bed of clay, which must leave
no passage to the action of the fire; it is lined externally with
bricks, and must have a pipe on one of its sides, to draw off the
liquor.

Under the kettle, 15 inches from the bottom, is a flue for the heat,
running through all its length. It is 2½ feet wide at bottom,
extending like a fan at the top, about 6 inches on each side, so that
the flame may circulate in all the breadth of the kettle.

On the fore part of this flue, facing the door, is a hearth, occupying
all its breadth, and 2 feet long. The rest of the flue is paved with
bricks, and rises insensibly 4 inches towards the chimney, in which it
opens by two holes, 1½ inches wide, 8 or 9 inches high.

Immediately under the hearth, is a mash hole 4 feet deep, occupying
all its capacity, and projecting 2 feet forward. This opening is
necessary to keep up a free circulation of air, and to take up the
ashes. It should be covered with strong boards, not to hinder the
service of the kettle. The hearth is made with an iron grate, more or
less close, according to the nature of the fuel; if for wood, the bars
must be about two inches apart; if for coals, half an inch is
sufficient. The furnace must be built with care. The parts most
exposed to the ac[Pg 24]tion of the fire must be built with soft
bricks and potters' clay: soap stone would be preferable, if easy to
procure. The brick separating the kettle and chimney, must be
supported with flat bars of iron, as well as the part over the door.
CHAPTER IX.
USE OF THE KETTLE.

The kettle is destined to make the infusion of the grain, and boil it
so as to convert it into wort. By that operation I make the liquor
richer, which I intend for fermentation, and bring it to divers
degrees of strength.

I put into the kettle 100 gallons of water, and 4 bushels of corn,
broken, as I said before, at the mill. I light a small fire, which I
increase gradually, until the water begins to boil; during that time,
the grain is stirred with a paddle. As soon as the ebullition is
established, the grain is taken up with a large skimmer, and put to
drain into a large basket hanging over the kettle; and when the grain
has been totally taken up, the fire is increased so as to bring the
water to boil again, until reduced to two-fifths, which degree of
concentration is not rigorous, and the distiller may augment it as his
experience shall direct. When thus concentrated, the liquor is drawn
off through the pipe, and received into a tub or vat containing 130 or
140 galls.

100 gallons more of water are put into the kettle, with 4 bushels of
corn; the fire conducted slowly, as before, until the degree of
ebullition; the corn is taken off, and the liquor concentrated in the
same proportions; then drawn off as above, in the same tub.[Pg 25]

The same operation is repeated for the third time; the three united
liquors are slightly stirred, and, still warm, transported into one of
the hogsheads of fermentation, which it nearly fills up.

As there must be four of these hogsheads filled up daily, the work at
the kettle must be kept going on, without interruption, until that
quantity is obtained, which may be done in about twelve hours. The
grain which has been drained is carried to dry, either in the open
air, or in a granary, and spread thin. When dry, it is excellent food
for cattle, and highly preferable to the acid and fermented mash,
usually used by distillers to feed cattle and hogs: they eat the corn
dried in the above manner as if it had lost nothing of its primitive
qualities and flavor.
CHAPTER X.
THE ROOM FOR FERMENTATION.

The room destined to the fermentation must be close, lighted by two or
three windows, and large enough to contain a number of hogsheads
sufficient for the distillery. It may be determined by the number of
days necessary for the fermentation; 30 or 40 hogsheads may suffice,
each of 120 or 130 gallons.

In the middle of the room must be a stove, large enough to keep up a
heat of 75° to 80°, even in winter. A thermometer placed at one end of
the room, serves to regulate the heat.

As soon as the liquor is in the hogshead, the yeast, or fermenting
principle, is put into it, stirred for some[Pg 26] moments, and then
left to itself. A liquor as rich as the above described ferments with
force, and runs with rapidity through all the periods of fermentation.
It is fit to distil as soon as that tumultuous state has subsided and
the liquor is calm.

The essential character of the spirituous fermentation, is to exhale
the carbonic acid gaz in great quantity. This gaz is mortal to
mankind, and to all the living creation. Thirty hogsheads of
fermenting liquor producing a great deal of this gaz, the room should
be purified of it by opening two opposite windows several times a day.
This is the more essential, as the pure air, or oxigen, contributes to
the formation of the spirit, of which it is one of the constituting
principles. A short time, however, suffices to renew the air of the
room.

It is useless to remark, that the hogsheads must be open at one end,
and rest upon pieces of wood elevating them some inches from the
ground. They must remain uncovered during the fermentation; and
afterwards be covered with a flying lid, when the liquor is calm.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:

Project Gutenberg's The Art of Making Whiskey, by Anthony Boucherie

Don't you suppose a link would have done instead?

http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/2/1/5/9/21592/21592-8.txt

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Weatherlawyer writes
Project Gutenberg's The Art of Making Whiskey, by Anthony Boucherie

I don't see your posts as I filter hotmail - spammers and eejits

like ****forbrains

are you really such a ****wit as to post the whole book, or have you
just multiple posted the same post ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

Weatherlawyer wrote:

Project Gutenberg's The Art of Making Whiskey, by Anthony Boucherie

Don't you suppose a link would have done instead?

http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/2/1/5/9/21592/21592-8.txt

All we need now is "The Art of Making Rum(m)". ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

Weatherlawyer wrote:

Project Gutenberg's The Art of Making Whiskey, by Anthony Boucherie

Don't you suppose a link would have done instead?

http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/2/1/5/9/21592/21592-8.txt

All we need now is "The Art of Making Rum(m)". ;-)

Yup, that could be interesting (for the one "m" version anyway... based
on experience, making the two "m" versions seems work ok using
traditional methods!) ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

Bruce wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

Weatherlawyer wrote:

Project Gutenberg's The Art of Making Whiskey, by Anthony Boucherie
Don't you suppose a link would have done instead?

http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/2/1/5/9/21592/21592-8.txt

All we need now is "The Art of Making Rum(m)". ;-)

Yup, that could be interesting (for the one "m" version anyway... based
on experience, making the two "m" versions seems work ok using
traditional methods!) ;-)

That sounds like it was fun. ;-)

Every year for the last 5 years I have received a bottle of a very
special overproof rum from a friend in the Caribbean. Apart from its
very high alcohol content, which means it needs to be diluted before
drinking, it is a wonderfully smooth spirit with the most complex
flavours I have ever tasted.

I have visited the distillery where it is made, an ancient, tumbledown
relic of colonial days that only functions through the efforts of a
few people to keep its antique equipment going. The quality of the
spirit is undeniable. The dedication of the people making it has to
be seen to be believed.

Alas, most of its output goes into the food industry in mainland
Europe where it is used to flavour some extremely upmarket cakes,
biscuits and desserts, so not much of it gets drunk. I am fortunate
to be one of the few to have tasted it as a drink.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The Art of Making SPAM

Who cares?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bruce
writes
John Rumm wrote:

Bruce wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

Weatherlawyer wrote:

Project Gutenberg's The Art of Making Whiskey, by Anthony Boucherie
Don't you suppose a link would have done instead?

http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/2/1/5/9/21592/21592-8.txt

All we need now is "The Art of Making Rum(m)". ;-)

Yup, that could be interesting (for the one "m" version anyway... based
on experience, making the two "m" versions seems work ok using
traditional methods!) ;-)

That sounds like it was fun. ;-)

Every year for the last 5 years I have received a bottle of a very
special overproof rum from a friend in the Caribbean. Apart from its
very high alcohol content,

I have some stroh rum

80% and 'kin disgusting by itself

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message

I have some stroh rum

80% and 'kin disgusting by itself

Maxie, you are a hard drinking man. Fantastic! ...and in a Paddy band too.
Fabulous.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 25, 12:36 am, John Rumm wrote:
Weatherlawyer wrote:
Project Gutenberg's The Art of Making Whiskey, by Anthony Boucherie

Don't you suppose a link would have done instead?

http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/2/1/5/9/21592/21592-8.txt

No I needed somewhere to store it that I could gfet public access to
fairly easily. There was no real intention to start a discussion. But
since you all got stuck in...

BTW liked the name of the first poster to reply. Weld on.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Weatherlawyer wrote:
Project Gutenberg's The Art of Making Whiskey, by Anthony Boucherie

Don't you suppose a link would have done instead?

http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/2/1/5/9/21592/21592-8.txt

No I needed somewhere to store it that I could gfet public access to
fairly easily. There was no real intention to start a discussion. But
since you all got stuck in...

BTW liked the name of the first poster to reply. Weld on.

And alt.test (for example) isn't publicly available?

--
Rod

onset.