Posted to rec.woodworking

Default bizarre jointing/planer results... what happened.

B4 you jump to conclusions please read the whole thing. This is not snipe.

I just jointed a board.
Then planed it.
The board is flat on one side, but wavey on the other.
This is not a method issue, something is going on that I've never seen
before.

Anyone have any idea why my planer gave me a wavey side but I had a flat
reference. The waveyness occurs through out, not snipe on the ends.

Yes I planed it past the initial un-even ness. Then the board gets
flipped end for end, once I have a clean cut all the way on the
unjointed side.

I have run plenty of wood through both the jointer and planer, And I
have not seen this b4. If it were wavey on both sides I would
understand, but this is flat and wavey...

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:

B4 you jump to conclusions please read the whole thing. This is not snipe.

I just jointed a board.
Then planed it.
The board is flat on one side, but wavey on the other.
This is not a method issue, something is going on that I've never seen
before.

Anyone have any idea why my planer gave me a wavey side but I had a flat
reference. The waveyness occurs through out, not snipe on the ends.

Yes I planed it past the initial un-even ness. Then the board gets
flipped end for end, once I have a clean cut all the way on the
unjointed side.

I have run plenty of wood through both the jointer and planer, And I
have not seen this b4. If it were wavey on both sides I would
understand, but this is flat and wavey...

Very strange. Some additional info might help:

Is this a lunch-box planer (a misnomer given the size and heft of the
current crop of benchtop planers)?

do the waves correspond to changes in grain direction?

Have you tried running a tubafor or other piece of scrap through the
same joint/plane operations to see if you get the same results
(pointing to the planer) or not (pointing to the wood)?

wonder if the cutterhead is moving or maybe the rollers are not
providing enough down pressure on the wood to keep it flat going
through the planer.

Will be interested in watching this thread to hear what you find out.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/27/2014 11:46 AM, alexy wrote:
woodchucker wrote:

[...]

Dewalt 733

do the waves correspond to changes in grain direction?

No.

Have you tried running a tubafor or other piece of scrap through the
same joint/plane operations to see if you get the same results
(pointing to the planer) or not (pointing to the wood)?

Definetly not. No 2x4 in this planer.. the knots destroy the blades.
Not yet, will be after I put some grooves and tenons on this set..

I'm hoping it is not the wood, the whole idea of using one of these is
to get the sides parallel. While I realize that wood has hard and soft
areas, I would not expect this type of planer to dip deeper.. my cuts
are probably 1/64-1/32 max of an inch more like 1/64... I only spin the
handle 1/4 turn per cut to get nice clean cuts.

wonder if the cutterhead is moving or maybe the rollers are not
providing enough down pressure on the wood to keep it flat going
through the planer.

I wonder if that's the problem. Not sure how to test the lock as I would
probably not be able to move it myself, but the wood certainly would.

Will be interested in watching this thread to hear what you find out.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, March 27, 2014 10:58:08 AM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:
The board is flat on one side, but wavey on the other.

I'm having trouble opening this site, but it may give you an answer, if you can access it. It dates back to 2006, so I wonder if that has anything to do with my access problem.
http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...ter_Marks.html

I initially Googled "Power Planer Troubleshooting" and the above alternate lead, for "Troubleshooting Planer Chatter Marks", came up.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, March 27, 2014 8:07:57 AM UTC-7, woodchucker wrote:
B4 you jump to conclusions please read the whole thing. This is not snipe..

I just jointed a board.

Then planed it.

The board is flat on one side, but wavey on the other.

This is not a method issue, something is going on that I've never seen

before.

Anyone have any idea why my planer gave me a wavey side but I had a flat

reference. The waveyness occurs through out, not snipe on the ends.

Yes I planed it past the initial un-even ness. Then the board gets

flipped end for end, once I have a clean cut all the way on the

unjointed side.

I have run plenty of wood through both the jointer and planer, And I

have not seen this b4. If it were wavey on both sides I would

understand, but this is flat and wavey...

--

Jeff

Maybe check the feed rollers. If they have something stuck on them maybe they are stressing the lock position up a bit as they rotate past the junk where it makes the rollers larger diameter. This is a real shot in the dark. Actually, as I think of it maybe even chips getting in there from a bad chip brealer setup or weak dust collection

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/27/2014 1:35 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Thursday, March 27, 2014 10:58:08 AM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:
The board is flat on one side, but wavey on the other.

I'm having trouble opening this site, but it may give you an answer, if you can access it. It dates back to 2006, so I wonder if that has anything to do with my access problem.
http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...ter_Marks.html

I initially Googled "Power Planer Troubleshooting" and the above alternate lead, for "Troubleshooting Planer Chatter Marks", came up.

Sonny

Thanks, interesting, but this is not chatter, this is wavy, slower
undulation.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

I just upped my dust collection, before I was using a vac, a friend just
gave me a small jet 1hp, and it is collecting pretty good, but I did not
check the rollers, as I used to. I used to blow the machine when the
chips loaded up on the platten. The DC is sucking up 99%.. so that is a
change... I was more careful about the chips in the past, and maybe
something is stuck. Will check after lunch...

Good idea, I guess I took that for granted.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/27/2014 10:07 AM, woodchucker wrote:
B4 you jump to conclusions please read the whole thing. This is not snipe.

I just jointed a board.
Then planed it.
The board is flat on one side, but wavey on the other.
This is not a method issue, something is going on that I've never seen
before.

Anyone have any idea why my planer gave me a wavey side but I had a flat
reference. The waveyness occurs through out, not snipe on the ends.

Yes I planed it past the initial un-even ness. Then the board gets
flipped end for end, once I have a clean cut all the way on the
unjointed side.

I have run plenty of wood through both the jointer and planer, And I
have not seen this b4. If it were wavey on both sides I would
understand, but this is flat and wavey...

I have has a similar situation occur when I left masking tape on the
"bottom' of the board. I would insure that the bottom rollers, if it
has bottom rollers, do no have something stuck to them causing the board
to push up and down.

Second, I have also had this happen and especially on a smaller planer.
If the board is long and bounces up and down, like a diving board, as
it is being fed it can cause the uneven thickness situation also.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/27/2014 1:58 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

No labels, all my wood is rough board foot wood.

The length was only 27" so nothing really hanging out much.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

So yea, the roller was loaded up. I kind of expected that with the vac,
but not the DC since it appears to be geting all the chips. Not sure why
that would create a wave. I'll run through some more maple in a few
minutes.. finishing up this frame.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

"woodchucker" wrote in message

B4 you jump to conclusions please read the whole thing. This is not snipe.

I just jointed a board.
Then planed it.
The board is flat on one side, but wavey on the other.
This is not a method issue, something is going on that I've never seen
before.

This sounds to me like the board is "camming over" as it passes through due
to the infeed/outfeed tables not being level with the bed. The infeed and/or
outfeed is lifting the board off the bed as the board passes through so that
the ends are full thickness but there are thinner areas along it's length.
The thinner areas that will vary with the length of the board.

I suggest checking the infeed/outfeed tables position relative to the bed as
the place to start in the quest to solve this problem. The problem could be
as simple as crud built up on the adjustment surfaces for the feed table
height on the Dewalt 733.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/27/2014 1:52 PM, woodchucker wrote:
[...]

Ok, so there was a buildup on the front roller. I cleaned it, expecting
the problem to go away, but it did not. Still a wave.

So now I know it wasn't the piece. This was a different piece of maple.
Shorter about 24 inches and it's like a hilly road. Slight undulation up
and down.

I guess I have to open it up and check the blades, but I don't think
that would be the issue, as this is slow variation, but maybe I'll see
something else once I take it apart. Too bad I can't get to the rollers
once I take the covers off. I would love to be able to take the whole
top of it off.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Just checked, no crud, nothing. B4 I take it apart, I'll double check
the tables, I always have some positive pressure to avoid snipe...

And it has not been an issue in the past, but certainly maybe I had too
much pressure (as I dialed out all snipe) , and the roller springs are
giving up the ghost..

That might explain the up and down as I hit different areas of the board
and table..

How would I check the feed rollers for spring tension...? any idea?

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

While there are certainly tools to measure spring tension I'd be inclined to
lower the infeed/outfeed tables closer to co-planer with the bed and see
what happens. Snipe may increase... or not...

I had an auxiliary bed for my portable Dewalt planer. It was a 4 foot long
piece of melamine that I got a Home Depot in the form of a 12" x 48" shelf.
I put a cleat on the bottom so it didn't get sucked through with the wood.
This eliminated snipe and cam over problems for me. When I got my Jet floor
model planer/molder I had no more problems like this and only use an
auxiliary bed for guiding molding stock.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

I have already tried the melamine routine with coplanar, it made snipe
unbearable. I wanted to use it for thin stock, but thought why not just
use it for everything since it's a slick material.. the 1st inch or 2 on
both ends was unusable for 3/4.

I'll lower it, give it a try, I imagine I will be back with snipe...
It's been this way since I got it. I had snipe from day one, until I
dialed up the tables.

but I'll take a look b4 I open her up. maybe you have the answer.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

"woodchucker" wrote

I just upped my dust collection, before I was using a vac, a friend just
gave me a small jet 1hp, and it is collecting pretty good, but I did not
check the rollers, as I used to. I used to blow the machine when the chips
loaded up on the platten. The DC is sucking up 99%.. so that is a
change... I was more careful about the chips in the past, and maybe
something is stuck. Will check after lunch...

Good idea, I guess I took that for granted.

Do a real close inspection to make sure the blades and chip breakers are
securely fastened. They can occasionally work loose. I was using someone
else's jointer, and heard a problem, and found out one of the breakers was
so loose that sawdust had packed in between the bar and the blade, and half
of the blade was being held in by the sawdust. I about sh*t my pants when I
saw that. After I fixed that for him, I stopped to inspect all of the other
machines to see that they were safe to use.
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , woodchucker
wrote:

I guess I have to open it up and check the blades, but I don't think
that would be the issue, as this is slow variation, but maybe I'll see
something else once I take it apart. Too bad I can't get to the rollers
once I take the covers off. I would love to be able to take the whole
top of it off.

Belt drive or chain? I wonder if the belt is slipping at a certain
point, or a gear missing a tooth or two?

--
³Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness
sobered, but stupid lasts forever.² -- Aristophanes
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , woodchucker
wrote:

I guess I have to open it up and check the blades, but I don't think
that would be the issue, as this is slow variation, but maybe I'll see
something else once I take it apart. Too bad I can't get to the rollers
once I take the covers off. I would love to be able to take the whole
top of it off.

Belt drive or chain? I wonder if the belt is slipping at a certain
point, or a gear missing a tooth or two?

belt, and it's in good shape.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Ok, went back to co-planar plus a little tension, since the ends of the
table easily deflect.

Now I am back to snipe, but the wavyness does appear to be gone.
Now about to see if I can sneak up on no snipe again.

This also wound up being a good tear down, as it was getting tough to
raise and lower the carriage, especially raise it. So I used the teflon
dry lube and nice...

The blades were not the problem, they are where they should be and look
good.

Not sure why the wavvyness has not shown before, unless this maple is
just not deflecting under the carriage to the same degree as other woods.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 3/27/2014 10:07 AM, woodchucker wrote:
B4 you jump to conclusions please read the whole thing. This is not snipe.

I just jointed a board.
Then planed it.
The board is flat on one side, but wavey on the other.
This is not a method issue, something is going on that I've never seen
before.

Anyone have any idea why my planer gave me a wavey side but I had a flat
reference. The waveyness occurs through out, not snipe on the ends.

What kind of dimensions we talking here between "waves" and height/depth
thereof and what kind of material you planing? Does this planer have bed
rollers perchance?

I can think of several, one of which is related to bed rollers having
something on them that is the counterpart of the one the other poster
mentioned on drive rollers.

Another could be a knife alignment if one has slipped slightly lower
than the others you're seeing it taking just a little bit bigger bite
than the other two (presuming three, one if only two total which will
enhance the difference in spacing by 50%).

Adjustable feed rate? Moving faster will leave more surface roughness
as the blade isn't in the same spot as long. Remember the knives are on
a circular path so they're only at the max depth instantaneously, anyway
(iow, the surface only appears flat even if perfect, the actual cuts are
overlapping circles). This effect is also bigger w/ only 2 instead of
three knives obviously.

Imbalance

Loose head and/or head lock

Various other mechanical failures depending on the particular design.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 3/27/2014 4:20 PM, dpb wrote:

Oh, and perhaps one of the most likely -- knives (or at least one knife)
dull enough to burnish instead of cut cleanly. A little paint thinner on
a rag will uncover this real quick--the burnished spot won't suck it up
like the cleanly cut sections will...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"woodchucker" wrote

The length was only 27" so nothing really hanging out much.

Check the cutter head bearings for up and down play, and that all the bolts
holding the bearings to the frame are present and tight. It sounds like it
is vibrating, or oscillating up and down, either that or the hold down
rollers are not putting enough pressure on the wood.

Is there a metal plate that reverses the direction of the chips immediately
before the outfeed roller? Any kind of sturdy steel that is adjusted so it
barely clears the finished height of the wood after it leaves the cutter
head and before the wood gets to the feed roller? If there is, it should be
adjusted only a few thousandths above the surface of the wood. I use a
piece of copy paper to put between it and the wood, then lower it so the
paper can not be pulled out, or just barely pulled out. That must be done
every time blades are re-installed, or you can get some bad results. It
sounds like the particular piece of wood this happened to had just the right
weight, length and flexibility to reach harmonic resonance of each
individual blade hitting the surface, which then amplifies as it continues
and flexes the wood enough to float the feed rollers up off of the bed. If
there was rigid steel holding the wood down, it would not allow it to be
vibrated up off of the bed.

Harmonic resonance is a weird thing. FM, to most people. I would venture a
guess that this is involved in your problem in some way. If you have a
strobe, try it while it is running with the guards off. It might show
something.
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

"woodchucker" wrote in

Not sure why the wavvyness has not shown before, unless this maple is just
not deflecting under the carriage to the same degree as other woods.

Could still have to do with weight, flexibility (or lack of it) and
harmonic resonance between the blade strikes, the resonance of the wood and
the resonance of the springs. Change any one of the factors, and the
resonance goes away.
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

You may be on to something there with the board deflection... or lack there
of.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/27/2014 5:06 PM, woodchucker wrote:
[...]

Dewalt made an error in using coarse threads on the table adjustment.
The screws are at the hinge point and 1/4 turn goes from lower than the
platen, to ridiculous height above the platen. Add to that when you set
the lock nut, it wants to move the setting, any slight movement
(backlash in the wrench to screw) is a large adjustment.

Had it been fine threads I probably could zero in much easier. I still
have some snipe on entry, so I am working the infeed table trying to
sneak up on no snipe. but the waves are gone.

Thanks John,
I would not have thought my adjustments were out since they have been
working for quite some time w/o issue. I had added more pressure
because it removed the snipe on both ends.

When I hit the lottery, maybe I can get a nice big hunk of iron with a
20" table and helical head.

Thanks everyone. I'll post info tomorrow when I finally remove the
snipe. (if I remove the snipe).

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

"woodchucker" wrote in message

Dewalt made an error in using coarse threads on the table adjustment. The
screws are at the hinge point and 1/4 turn goes from lower than the platen,
to ridiculous height above the platen. Add to that when you set the lock
nut, it wants to move the setting, any slight movement (backlash in the
wrench to screw) is a large adjustment.

Had it been fine threads I probably could zero in much easier. I still have
some snipe on entry, so I am working the infeed table trying to sneak up
on no snipe. but the waves are gone.

Thanks John,
I would not have thought my adjustments were out since they have been
working for quite some time w/o issue. I had added more pressure because
it removed the snipe on both ends.

You are welcome...

I was pretty sure that was the problem as I've had some similar experiences
over the years... not all with planers. One of the most memorable was when I
worked in the Gunsmith Shop at Colonial Williamsburg. We were reaming out a
hand-forged barrel using a hand turned reaming machine. It seemed like there
was a hard spot in the barrel as with each pass with a new and larger bit we
had a problem in the same spot.

While watching what was happening I realized that the real problem was the
reaming bar was camming over the edge of the hole at the end of the barrel
when it reached a certain point. The bottom line was the barrel center was
not in line with the reaming machine center. That may seem like an obvious
mistake until you see what a hand forged gun barrel looks like at each step
of the way... center is an estimation for quite a while! ;~)

Glad it worked out!

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote in
:

So yea, the roller was loaded up. I kind of expected that with the
vac, but not the DC since it appears to be geting all the chips. Not
sure why that would create a wave. I'll run through some more maple
in a few minutes.. finishing up this frame.

Maybe you should switch back to the vac for a pass and see if it clears up.
On sanders, too much suction can cause the tool to stick to the work. I
wonder if something similar is happening here. (Just a guess.)

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"woodchucker" wrote:

This also wound up being a good tear down, as it was getting tough
to raise and lower the carriage, especially raise it. So I used the
teflon dry lube and nice...

I had this problem with a DeWalt, DW-733 at least 10 years ago.

Tech service was aware of the problem and walked me thru the fix.

It involved removing some parts, but forgot what they were.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/28/2014 3:50 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"woodchucker" wrote:

This also wound up being a good tear down, as it was getting tough
to raise and lower the carriage, especially raise it. So I used the
teflon dry lube and nice...

I had this problem with a DeWalt, DW-733 at least 10 years ago.

Tech service was aware of the problem and walked me thru the fix.

It involved removing some parts, but forgot what they were.

Lew

I know the feeling.. I can't remember what I cut up some parts for..
Hmmm... maybe a call.. the teflon helped, but now you have me curious.

--
Jeff