Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Warm spring weather = Carpenter bees

Unfortunately, the onset of warm weather brings with it the scourge of
destructive carpenter bees.

Don't know if carpenter bees are a problem in all 50 states but they certainly
are in my area. Last year I built about a dozen carpenter bee traps using white
wood and quart sized wide-mouth Ball/Mason jars. I kept 4 and gave the rest to
friends and a neighbor. They worked great!

What are carpenter bees?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYcn7k7-5Dw

eBay sellers offer several different variations of the traps
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...nter+bee+traps

a couple of youtubes on 'slapping together' bee traps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD5ExhmaZA8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20DNKOw5Hw4

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, March 25, 2014 8:15:53 AM UTC-5, Spalted Walt wrote:
Last year I built about a dozen carpenter bee traps.... They worked great!

Looks like a good control method for the home environment. I'll try some.

For particular large scenarios, I would add to also use Hi-Yield 38 Plus - https://www.google.com/search?q=Hi-Y...I7MXGB_enUS512

38 Plus will also help destroy the bees & larvae in their home holes, preventing further multiplying of untrapped bees. Carpenter bees are hard to control using pesticides, but I find 38 Plus does the best job of partial or significant control. Spot application, not broad application, is recommended in your home environment.

38 Plus is also effective for controlling and/or assisting the control of termites, silver tails, ants, powder post beetles and other pests. For farm, barn, lumber storage areas, i.e., beyond the immediate home setting, a good application of 38 Plus helps prevent multiple pests from invading and/or establishing long term residence in all these areas of your property, especially if you don't have a dedicated pest control program, like Terminex, Orkin, local exterminator, etc., for contract treatment in these larger, wide spread areas.

With 38 Plus, read directions carefully. Pets and other animals may be affected, if used in their immediate living areas. Keep animals away from, or limit their presence in, the treated areas for some days after treatment. Spot application helps prevent risk to your pets or animals.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/25/2014 7:15 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:

What are carpenter bees?

http://comps.canstockphoto.com/can-s...csp0762118.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/25/2014 9:15 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
Unfortunately, the onset of warm weather brings with it the scourge of
destructive carpenter bees.

I've got them here. They only really seem to like bare wood.

I painted my house "bluebell" a couple years back. When first painted
this had an almost iridescence to it. The bees would hover about a foot
away from the walls and just stare at it, perhaps they thought it was
the sky and could not figure out what it was doing there.

When the paint faded a bit, the bees lost interest.

Jeff

Don't know if carpenter bees are a problem in all 50 states but they certainly
are in my area. Last year I built about a dozen carpenter bee traps using white
wood and quart sized wide-mouth Ball/Mason jars. I kept 4 and gave the rest to
friends and a neighbor. They worked great!

What are carpenter bees?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYcn7k7-5Dw

eBay sellers offer several different variations of the traps
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...nter+bee+traps

a couple of youtubes on 'slapping together' bee traps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD5ExhmaZA8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20DNKOw5Hw4

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 25 Mar 2014 13:15:53 +0000, Spalted Walt
wrote:

Unfortunately, the onset of warm weather brings with it the scourge of
destructive carpenter bees.

Don't know if carpenter bees are a problem in all 50 states but they certainly
are in my area. Last year I built about a dozen carpenter bee traps using white
wood and quart sized wide-mouth Ball/Mason jars. I kept 4 and gave the rest to
friends and a neighbor. They worked great!

I had (have) big problems with carpenter bees eating my Alabama house.
The house has exposed (fake) rafter ends and cedar soffits, rakes, and
beams over the porch. The bees loved them all. Having it sprayed by
a pest control company every other year helped a lot. A badminton
racket was a useful tool, too. The best solution was to sell the
house (closes next month, I hope!). ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 25 Mar 2014 22:54:30 -0400, Jeff Thies
wrote:

On 3/25/2014 9:15 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
Unfortunately, the onset of warm weather brings with it the scourge of
destructive carpenter bees.

I've got them here. They only really seem to like bare wood.

I painted my house "bluebell" a couple years back. When first painted
this had an almost iridescence to it. The bees would hover about a foot
away from the walls and just stare at it, perhaps they thought it was
the sky and could not figure out what it was doing there.

When the paint faded a bit, the bees lost interest.

*Gloss* paint helps but it's not the solution. The harder the surface
the more they're deterred but they will go through pretty much any
paint if they decide to. Flat paint doesn't seem to faze them at all.

Posted to rec.woodworking

We have carpenter ants.....they can be seen with Stanley Tape measures, and
tool belts.
since the invention of battery operated tools, they have really got the
swing of things.....
john

"Spalted Walt" wrote in message

Unfortunately, the onset of warm weather brings with it the scourge of
destructive carpenter bees.

Don't know if carpenter bees are a problem in all 50 states but they
certainly
are in my area. Last year I built about a dozen carpenter bee traps using
white
wood and quart sized wide-mouth Ball/Mason jars. I kept 4 and gave the rest
friends and a neighbor. They worked great!

What are carpenter bees?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYcn7k7-5Dw

eBay sellers offer several different variations of the traps
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...nter+bee+traps

a couple of youtubes on 'slapping together' bee traps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD5ExhmaZA8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20DNKOw5Hw4

Posted to rec.woodworking

"jloomis" wrote in
:

We have carpenter ants.....they can be seen with Stanley Tape
measures, and tool belts.
since the invention of battery operated tools, they have really got
the swing of things.....
john

Does their insurance make them use SawStops, or can they do all their work
with Radio Alarm Slaws?

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

They use a specialized radical arm saw.....
john

"Puckdropper" wrote in message
eb.com...

"jloomis" wrote in
:

We have carpenter ants.....they can be seen with Stanley Tape
measures, and tool belts.
since the invention of battery operated tools, they have really got
the swing of things.....
john

Does their insurance make them use SawStops, or can they do all their work
with Radio Alarm Slaws?

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 3/25/2014 9:15 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
Unfortunately, the onset of warm weather brings with it the scourge of
destructive carpenter bees.

I've got them here. They only really seem to like bare wood.

I painted my house "bluebell" a couple years back. When first painted
this had an almost iridescence to it. The bees would hover about a foot
away from the walls and just stare at it, perhaps they thought it was
the sky and could not figure out what it was doing there.

When the paint faded a bit, the bees lost interest.

*Gloss* paint helps but it's not the solution. The harder the surface
the more they're deterred but they will go through pretty much any
paint if they decide to. Flat paint doesn't seem to faze them at all.

Penetrating stain has keeped them at bay here, that being southern
Illinois. Used both oil based and water based.

Dunno, maybe the bees here have carbide teeth but they go through
everything. They prefer juicy unpainted cedar but will go through the
toughest paint, too. The best plan is to not have them (or exposed
wood). They are territorial so return to where they were born to lay
eggs (drill). Keep them at bay and they'll stay that way (more or
less). Let them have their way and you'll soon have nothing left.
Nasty critters!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 26 Mar 2014 19:01:46 -0700, "jloomis" wrote:

We have carpenter ants.....they can be seen with Stanley Tape measures, and
tool belts.
since the invention of battery operated tools, they have really got the
swing of things.....
john

http://fineartamerica.com/featured/c...ris-knorr.html

;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/27/2014 1:30 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:
On Wed, 26 Mar 2014 19:01:46 -0700, "jloomis" wrote:

We have carpenter ants.....they can be seen with Stanley Tape measures, and
tool belts.
since the invention of battery operated tools, they have really got the
swing of things.....
john

http://fineartamerica.com/featured/c...ris-knorr.html

;~)

OK. Saw, hammer, screwdriver. But a knuckle-buster?