Posted to rec.woodworking

Default About: Starting WW business

Not sure why Google won't let me post a reply so thought I would try a new thread in response.

1. You can sell a lot on eBay if you make good stuff that people like. Stickley is still flaming hot. People want a deal on there but of you can control cost and have production type speed/labor, you can be profitable. Small items are better because of shipping hassle.

2. Etsy is a higher-end eBay type place and you can actually sell for real prices. Make small things so shipping is easy. Smaller audience but buyers do exist.

3. Local art fairs, etc. Don't do those "only" because you can get skunked (zero sales) real easy on a bad day or bad fit. It takes a while to learn that business and see what sells and to learn what shows are good and getting into the juried shows, etc. But can be one good source among many.

4. Consignment is tough. They want at least 30% and often 50% but if you can find some places it can be easy money. I make "Antique like" faux finished stuff and it sells through consignment some.

5. Roadside setup. I made Adirondack chairs and could seel a truck load any weekend I wanted to park in the wine country area near my home. Also sold my faux antiques along side the road in the gold-country area. Any tourist areas. I never had a permit, just took cash and never got hassled except once and they just said "move along" it was more of a traffic issue than selling. I have a "Square" now and can take credit cards this summer season which I plan for Gold Country again.

6. Local cabinet shops, the big ones, often get requests for custom stuff they don't want to bother with. If you can impress them they may throw work your way but you need to keep visiting once they say maybe.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 14:49:57 -0700 (PDT), "SonomaProducts.com"
I have a "Square" now and can take credit cards this summer season which I plan for Gold Country again.

What is your opinion of Square? I've seen the ads for it, but I'm
wanting to know if it is as straight forward as they make it sound?
Aside from the 2.75% per transaction fee, are there any other fees or
hurdles to use one? An end user perspective is what I'm interested in.
Thanks.
Posted to rec.woodworking

What is your opinion of Square? I've seen the ads for it, but I'm
wanting to know if it is as straight forward as they make it sound?
Aside from the 2.75% per transaction fee, are there any other fees or
hurdles to use one? An end user perspective is what I'm interested in.
Thanks.

I use Square. Many local small business here use it. It's become
especially popular in our shopping streeet area around a major farmers
market. No other fees. I've been on both sides of the Square
transaction and love it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, March 17, 2014 8:58:15 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 14:49:57 -0700 (PDT), "SonomaProducts.com"

I have a "Square" now and can take credit cards this summer season which I plan for Gold Country again.

What is your opinion of Square? I've seen the ads for it, but I'm

wanting to know if it is as straight forward as they make it sound?

Aside from the 2.75% per transaction fee, are there any other fees or

hurdles to use one? An end user perspective is what I'm interested in.

Thanks.

Well, I heard about it so I went to their website. There was no in-depth explanation and they just wanted me to sign up so they could send me the device. It surprised me because getting a normal merchant account requires quite an approval process with the bank. I poked around a little then signed up..

They sent the square. I configured it to know about my bank account. I started using it. Pretty much just works. I use it from my iPhone. Some people shy away a little but if they want to buy by card, that is what I can offer..