Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shop vacuum pressure

Don't know about the info aging out, but I hope he keeps us
posted on anything he finds that works.
From what I've tried, a vac picks up leaves, twigs, dirt if it's dry
and loose enough and some pecans that aren't well filled. If they've
been pressed into the soil at all, no way (I'm on clay).
I tried first extending with a 25 foot pool cleaning hose and worked
backwards to just the stock vac. Result - all the debris, too few pecans.
What works for me is the rake, lift-and-separate, sit-down-and-pick-up
method.
Have tried with some success stringing a tarp at an angle so that lighter
debris stays behind and the pecans roll down to the bottom. Also tried
with some luck a big piece of 1/2 inch screen aimed into a bucket with the
leaf blower behind to blow away debris.
Both methods still require the raking, you just don't have to separate as
much.
I think one difference between pecans and gumballs is that the pecans are
being collected and saved for use. The aerodynamics are different, too.
Pecans are smooth while the spikes on gumballs offer more resistance to
air from a leaf blower so they can be blown into piles.
I got over 500 pounds last year. This year I've been enjoying the shop
and it's an off year so less than 100 so far.

-J

On 12/19/2013 9:12 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 12/19/2013 8:21 PM, SteveB wrote:
I am going to use a rolling Shop-Vac (trade name) and 2.5" hose. I want
to use it to pick up pecans to be easier on my back, and to put them
into a 55 gallon barrel, making them more effective to handle. I know
that some shop vac systems have piping that goes a long distance. I
would ideally like to go two sections of hose, and that would be 40 to
50 feet depending on the hose. How much drop of suction and efficiency
would I experience through that length, with only one opening at the end
of the hose?

thanks

Steve

Wow, this came back like a boomerang... we had this discussion last year..

Did anything change ??? Did the info from last year age out because the
pecans changed size... did they get bigger.

I do not have pecans, but gum balls. A leaf blower is adequate to get
them all in one area. You still have to pick them up. Shovel??

I have used it a couple of season, I decided it was not a good idea to
clean the underside of my mower with gum balls.

---

Shop vacuum pressure SteveB[_14_] Woodworking 10 December 21st 13 05:29 AM
Shop-vac vacuum PHT[_2_] Woodworking 20 March 1st 09 02:45 AM
Pressure Vacuum Breakers [email protected] Home Repair 2 April 13th 07 09:11 PM
Suction pressure in vacuum trintch9 Home Repair 1 May 12th 06 03:46 PM
Shop Vacuum Question Carlton Duke Woodworking 4 March 22nd 05 01:34 AM