Posted to rec.woodworking

Default ESP Custom Guitar Shop (was: More on glue)

While the end product is way over the top for my liking, he gets an A+ on
execution and craftsmanship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=sIMwkZpp6eY

LUTHIER SPOTLIGHT
Two years after enrolling in ESP's Guitar Craft Academy in 1990, Masao Ohmuro
was asked to stay on as instructor. He continued teaching, and began building
and repairing guitars for ESP shops and artists.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/12/2013 7:25 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
While the end product is way over the top for my liking, he gets an A+ on
execution and craftsmanship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=sIMwkZpp6eY

It takes a lot of skill to make a guitar as unplayable as that one.
Unmentioned was the poor ******* that had to spend a week fitting a case
for it.

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/13/2013 8:55 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

It takes a lot of skill to make a guitar as unplayable as that one.
Unmentioned was the poor ******* that had to spend a week fitting a case
for it.

Yep, the "Here, hold my beer and watch this" mentality strikes again.

A concept completely lost on this culture ... just because you can do
something doesn't mean you should.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/12/2013 6:25 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
While the end product is way over the top for my liking, he gets an A+ on
execution and craftsmanship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=sIMwkZpp6eY

LUTHIER SPOTLIGHT
Two years after enrolling in ESP's Guitar Craft Academy in 1990, Masao Ohmuro
was asked to stay on as instructor. He continued teaching, and began building
and repairing guitars for ESP shops and artists.

Let's present him a trophy for showing up.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
On 12/12/2013 7:25 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
While the end product is way over the top for my liking, he gets an
A+ on execution and craftsmanship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=sIMwkZpp6eY

It takes a lot of skill to make a guitar as unplayable as that one.
Unmentioned was the poor ******* that had to spend a week fitting a
case for it.

I'm not sure (as a guitar player) that I see it as unplayable at all. Not
my style ofr guitar for sure, but I don't see it as unplayable. As for the
case - you're right brother!

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 12/13/2013 8:55 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

It takes a lot of skill to make a guitar as unplayable as that one.
Unmentioned was the poor ******* that had to spend a week fitting a
case for it.

Yep, the "Here, hold my beer and watch this" mentality strikes again.

A concept completely lost on this culture ... just because you can do
something doesn't mean you should.

Agreed (by the standards we embrace), but today's generation looks at things
differently. They'll put up with whatever it takes or costs to get a case
for that thing. I wouldn't and maybe you wouldn't but then again, he's not
marketing to us.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 09:55:28 -0500, Greg Guarino wrote:

It takes a lot of skill to make a guitar as unplayable as that one.
Unmentioned was the poor ******* that had to spend a week fitting a case
for it.

Something tells me that's exactly what Gibson heard back in '58 when they
introduced the Flying V:

http://goo.gl/RGi83U

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 09:05:24 -0600, Swingman wrote:

A concept completely lost on this culture ... just because you can do
something doesn't mean you should.

I'm guessing Abraham Roentgen heard about the same thing from many of his peers
back in the day ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKikHxKeodA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/13/2013 10:48 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 09:55:28 -0500, Greg Guarino wrote:

It takes a lot of skill to make a guitar as unplayable as that one.
Unmentioned was the poor ******* that had to spend a week fitting a case
for it.

Something tells me that's exactly what Gibson heard back in '58 when they
introduced the Flying V:

Repeat what I said earlier.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
google.com/+KarlCaillouet
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/13/2013 10:14 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Agreed (by the standards we embrace), but today's generation looks at things
differently. They'll put up with whatever it takes or costs to get a case
for that thing. I wouldn't and maybe you wouldn't but then again, he's not
marketing to us.

Why is it you rarely hear "today's music" on a commercial (AKA, marketing)?

Answer: When "music" started being more about "appearances" than what
was being played.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
google.com/+KarlCaillouet
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote:

Why is it you rarely hear "today's music" on a commercial (AKA,
marketing)?

Answer: When "music" started being more about "appearances" than
what was being played.

With Sinatra gone, after Bublee it's mostly all noise.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 12/13/2013 10:14 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Agreed (by the standards we embrace), but today's generation looks
at things differently. They'll put up with whatever it takes or
costs to get a case for that thing. I wouldn't and maybe you
wouldn't but then again, he's not marketing to us.

Why is it you rarely hear "today's music" on a commercial (AKA,
marketing)?
Answer: When "music" started being more about "appearances" than what
was being played.

No kidding! Blast a bunch of power chords and call it playing. Not that
I'm against a hard sound and the use of power chords, but they are not my
complete musical vocabulary.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/13/2013 11:27 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 12/13/2013 10:14 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Agreed (by the standards we embrace), but today's generation looks at
things
differently. They'll put up with whatever it takes or costs to get a
case
for that thing. I wouldn't and maybe you wouldn't but then again,
he's not
marketing to us.

Why is it you rarely hear "today's music" on a commercial (AKA, marketing)?

Answer: When "music" started being more about "appearances" than what
was being played.

Kim and I were talking about this yesterday while listening to Christmas
songs. You still mostly hear Bing Crosby, Andy Williams, Dean Martin,
Perry Como, Frank Sanatra.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/13/13, 11:27 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 12/13/2013 10:14 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Agreed (by the standards we embrace), but today's generation looks at
things
differently. They'll put up with whatever it takes or costs to get a
case
for that thing. I wouldn't and maybe you wouldn't but then again,
he's not
marketing to us.

Why is it you rarely hear "today's music" on a commercial (AKA, marketing)?

Answer: When "music" started being more about "appearances" than what
was being played.

And when was that? 1940s? 50s?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/13/2013 11:34 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

"Swingman" wrote:

Why is it you rarely hear "today's music" on a commercial (AKA,
marketing)?

Answer: When "music" started being more about "appearances" than
what was being played.

With Sinatra gone, after Bublee it's mostly all noise.

There has always been more crappy music than the good stuff. You just
have to look in the right places.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-Lp2uC_1lg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DB31doPluY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqSaUCb-L_U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVH77iNRRVw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZY_iBRfn3U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV-Z1YwaOiw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQe3DKDQRRs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHqyRNNYRRw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiOcW_YR1G8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuolrdEeSL0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZgGKE1TovU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-C-IbkuNWs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su6KjZs3aqM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_9HdZwf60U

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 14:09:04 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 12/13/2013 11:27 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 12/13/2013 10:14 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Agreed (by the standards we embrace), but today's generation looks at
things
differently. They'll put up with whatever it takes or costs to get a
case
for that thing. I wouldn't and maybe you wouldn't but then again,
he's not
marketing to us.

Why is it you rarely hear "today's music" on a commercial (AKA, marketing)?

Answer: When "music" started being more about "appearances" than what
was being played.

Kim and I were talking about this yesterday while listening to Christmas
songs. You still mostly hear Bing Crosby, Andy Williams, Dean Martin,
Perry Como, Frank Sanatra.

Mannheim Steamroller, The Real Group,... ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/14/2013 7:38 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
wrote:

On 12/13/2013 11:27 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 12/13/2013 10:14 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Agreed (by the standards we embrace), but today's generation
looks at things
differently. They'll put up with whatever it takes or costs to
get a case
for that thing. I wouldn't and maybe you wouldn't but then
again, he's not
marketing to us.

Why is it you rarely hear "today's music" on a commercial (AKA,
marketing)?

Answer: When "music" started being more about "appearances" than
what
was being played.

Kim and I were talking about this yesterday while listening to
Christmas songs. You still mostly hear Bing Crosby, Andy Williams,
Dean Martin, Perry Como, Frank Sanatra.

Mannheim Steamroller, The Real Group,... ;-)

Trans Siberian Orchestra!

LOL. I immediately thought of that one too as being the modern day
group, but IIRC there are no vocals.

Yeah - there are. In fact (I just recently learned...) one of the original
concepts was to build a rock band with 18 vocal soloists.

Ok, I'll take your word for that. It is a group that my son listens to,
not a bad group at all but not one I would normally.
Sometimes with lots of vocals in a band the voices tend to sound like
instruments.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 10:34:49 -0800, Lew Hodgett wrote:

"Swingman" wrote:

Why is it you rarely hear "today's music" on a commercial (AKA,
marketing)?

Answer: When "music" started being more about "appearances" than what
was being played.

With Sinatra gone, after Bublee it's mostly all noise.

Lew

It's not our world any longer, the keys to the kingdom are being
slowly but inexorably pulled from our old feeble fingers.

The new holders have no real use for our ideas, opinions, music, or
culture for it is now their kingdom.

This is as it has always been and as it will always be.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/13/2013 10:05 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 12/13/2013 8:55 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

It takes a lot of skill to make a guitar as unplayable as that one.
Unmentioned was the poor ******* that had to spend a week fitting a case
for it.

Yep, the "Here, hold my beer and watch this" mentality strikes again.

A concept completely lost on this culture ... just because you can do
something doesn't mean you should.

Well, I'm not sure I'd go quite that far. This isn't Jackass material,
after all. Presumably this guy has worked on his craft, did the work
sober and didn't hurt anyone or damage any property in the process.

But yes, I like for an instrument to be designed first to be played,
after which any decoration is OK with me. Those gunstocks look like a
significant impediment.

When I was a young man I met a quite accomplished guitarist who had one
of the best-looking guitars I had ever seen. The contours of the guitar
were some relatively standard solid-body shape. But the front surface
had a picture of a sailing ship in intricate detail, not painted on, but
inlaid, each shade a different kind of wood. A beautiful piece of work.

Better yet, the guitarist had made it himself.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/14/2013 12:03 PM, wrote:
I also like Manhattan Transfer

MT's album "Swing" 1997 ... it is doubtful that there is a better swing
album in the entire history of music, bar none!

The absolute epitome of "swing"!

--
eWoodShop:
www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
google.com/+KarlCaillouet
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/14/2013 12:38 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

When I was a young man I met a quite accomplished guitarist who had one
of the best-looking guitars I had ever seen. The contours of the guitar
were some relatively standard solid-body shape. But the front surface
had a picture of a sailing ship in intricate detail, not painted on, but
inlaid, each shade a different kind of wood. A beautiful piece of work.

Better yet, the guitarist had made it himself.

Nice ... but how did that guitar look to you on the radio/over
headphones/speakers/in the car?

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
google.com/+KarlCaillouet
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I read that on their web site - never had any such idea myself.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/13/2013 12:34 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Swingman" wrote:

Why is it you rarely hear "today's music" on a commercial (AKA,
marketing)?

Answer: When "music" started being more about "appearances" than
what was being played.

With Sinatra gone, after Bublee it's mostly all noise.

Lew

Bublee is good and Harry Conik Jr. is good.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/14/2013 1:50 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 12/14/2013 12:38 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

When I was a young man I met a quite accomplished guitarist who had one
of the best-looking guitars I had ever seen. The contours of the guitar
were some relatively standard solid-body shape. But the front surface
had a picture of a sailing ship in intricate detail, not painted on, but
inlaid, each shade a different kind of wood. A beautiful piece of work.

Better yet, the guitarist had made it himself.

Nice ... but how did that guitar look to you on the radio/over
headphones/speakers/in the car?

Your ears are just too old to hear that special "marquetry" tone. But
its there, man ... it's *there*. Oh, and you need Six-Nines Oxygen-Free
Copper for all your cables too.