Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Is it handmade, or do my machines disqualify that term?

Handmade or Machine Made?
Many folks have questions about my toys and how I make then. A frequent question is, “Are these toys handmade?” It is a simple query that requires a complicated answer. Sure they are handmade, my two hands. But, always a but, I use a variety of tools.

More at

http://johnthetoymaker.wordpress.com...-machine-made/
Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to John Linck , passerby wrote:
toymakerjohn wrote:

Handmade or Machine Made?
Many folks have questions about my toys and how I make then. A frequent

que
stion is, €œAre these toys handmade?€ It is a simple query that

requires
a complicated answer. Sure they are handmade, my two hands. But, always a

but, I use a variety of tools.
More at
http://johnthetoymaker.wordpress.com...-machine-made/

Going to Sugarloaf and other crafts festivals over the last 10 years or
so, I would say it's trending more towards "if it's not made in China,
it's handmade (enough)" - the actual tools of the trade don't seem to
matter much.

Posted to rec.woodworking

toymakerjohnÂ* wrote:

Handmade or Machine Made? Many folks have questions about my toys and how I make then. A frequent
que stion is, €œAre these toys handmade?€ It is a simple query that
requires Â*a complicated answer. Sure they are handmade, my two hands. But, always a

but, I use a variety of tools. More at http://johnthetoymaker.wordpress.com...-machine-made/

Going to Sugarloaf and other crafts festivals over the last 10 years or
so, I would say it's trending more towards "if it's not made in China,
it's handmade (enough)" - the actual tools of the trade don't seem to
matter much.
Â*I use tools (lathe, sandpaper, etc.) to make the pens I make, and table saw, router, etc. to make decorative boxes.Â* If anyone asks, "Yes, it's hand made."Â* The tools used are just that - tools necessary to accomplish the final result.

Matt
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, November 22, 2013 10:22:22 AM UTC-6, John Linck wrote:
Handmade or Machine Made?

Hand made, hand crafted, by an individual craftsman.

I tend to distinguish between (the terms) production (factory) pieces (many assemblymen involved) and hand made/crafted (made by a single person). Even if you would cut, shape or form several/many of one board/part, then several/many of the next board/part, etc., then assemble the parts, then, to me, they would be hand crafted, not production pieces.

Production pieces, to me, means producing many, as fast, and as economically as possible. Hand crafted, to me, means taking time and care to do the best possible job, no matter how few are created, the cost is not a serious concern, and despite however long it takes to accomplish the best job.

Hand crafted also carries with it a high level of heart and soul (of the craftsman) into the piece. Production pieces tend to lack a significant level of heart and soul.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/22/2013 2:34 PM, Sonny wrote:

Hand crafted also carries with it a high level of heart and soul (of the craftsman) into the piece.

AKA, cleverly being able to hide "handmade" faux pas.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net