Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

Default 12 volt lithium battery drill/impact driver- recommendations

You may want to look at this little impact driver -
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-B...+impact+driver . (Note that Amazon has it listed as the 080I ("I") instead of 0801 ("1") )

It's a new item from Black & Decker, released in Sept.-Oct.

I was on a small pre-release test team for it and it was well
received. One of the other testers did a pretty good write up
about it on the Amazon site. It may suit your needs better than
a drill/driver. It takes hex screwdriver and drill bits with a
spring-loaded chuck resembling an air hose connector. I can
easily manipulate it one-handed.

I wouldn't try to to install a deck with it or drive into concrete,
but all my screwdrivers have been gathering dust since I got
it. I ran screws all the way into SPF 2x6s without pilot holes
and into piloted sappy SYP with pilot holes - no problem. Then
tried cedar; the screws went in, and stopped when I let go of
the trigger. No bumping the trigger or running it out and back
in to get it where I wanted it. Its low vibration and weight
makes it very easy on the hands and wrist.

(I am not afilliated with B&D etc, etc. ...)

-Joe

patrick wrote:
As to lithium batteries yay or nay. Looking for a lighter drill for
med/light duty. This 62 yr old with a dicey shoulder doesn't like
holding a 18v nimh makita (6lbs) for doing the job. Gee, you go
online and look at the feedback on amazon and you'd think that
between the dicey batteries,the wobbly and poorly clamping(the
bits)chucks that all the makers can't make a decent drill (and
impact driver). TIA Pat

I don't think the battery chemestry is going to make that big of a
difference Pat. I'd suggest you go with a smaller voltage drill. Big
difference in the bulkiness and balance of a 12v drill compared to an 18v.
You won't go wrong with any of the name brands for light to medium use.
Hell - you won't go wrong with Harbor Freight for light to medium work.
And - the price will be a hell of a lot less.

What I've started using more and more - but simply for running in screws, is
a little 3.4v driver. It's all the power necessary for most things, is a
nimble as can be, weighs nothing at all, and fits in all kinds of small
places. I don't have drill bits for mine, but they do make them. You'd
have to buy the 1/4" shank bits because it does not have a chuck. But these
days - I grab it and only go for my 18v for really tough stuff. This little
thing is a winner.