Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: And Now I Know

Went grocery shopping tonight.

As I was bagging my groceries and noticed the man in front of
me was wearing a monogrammed shirt of some marina.

Asked him about the shirt and his response was an indication
he had some kind of mental problem(s).

He was unable to remember where he got the shirt or any of
the details about it.

He then complained about how difficult his life had become.

He had to remember lots of numbers today just to live his life.

Land line phone number, cell phone number, bank PIN number,
multiple internet user names, PIN numbers, security codes, etc, etc.

I could relate to the poor devil, life is certainly more complex than
it
was say 30 years.

There was a time when simplifying my life could be measured by how
many keys were on my key chain.

The goal was to have only ONE (1) key and that was for the boat.

If I was sailing, didn't need any keys,

That didn't work out, but still don't have many keys on my key ring.

Off the box except hope that poor devil can get some help.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

There was a time when simplifying my life could be measured by how
many keys were on my key chain.

The goal was to have only ONE (1) key and that was for the boat.

I'll never forget when I first became the owner of a washer and dryer. It
was the first time in my life I could no longer pack everything in a car
and head out for the unknown.

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
[...]

As long as he remembers the important things, like recognizing his own
name and his family and knowing how to get home, he'll be OK.
I know I am.

I have probably heard a song a hundred times and knew who sang it, but
sometimes when thinking about or humming the melody from a song, I may
not remember the song name and/or the singer's name.
I usually then go through the alphabet in my head and may pick up the
name when I hit the beginning letter of the name.
Then again, some melody that I haven't heard in years will come into my
head and I'll instantly know the name and the singer who sang it.
The latest (yesterday) was a WWII British song called "We'll Meet Again"
by Vera Lynn. It was the song during the final credits in "Doctor
Strangelove".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHcunREYzNY

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, November 9, 2013 12:19:54 AM UTC-6, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Went grocery shopping tonight. As I was bagging my groceries and noticed the man in front of me was wearing a monogrammed shirt of some marina. Asked him about the shirt and his response was an indication he had some kind of mental problem(s). He was unable to remember where he got the shirt or any of the details about it.

The onnset of dementia/symptoms?

He then complained about how difficult his life had become.

Some good long time ago, I noticed a similar perspective, within myself. The scenario you described, of the man, seems to be of his personal life and living, not anything business related. As for my "business" associations, I seem to be goverened by the clock and that's okay.... it's limited. As for my personal associations, I no longer wear a watch, hence I govern myself or go with the flow, as things confront me. I find this "don't be governed by the clock" approach to be much more pleasing, comfortable and manageable, and this approach seems to dispense with some/many of those other (society imposed?) "obligations" you've described of the man.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
[...]

I haven't worn a watch since I retired in 1999.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
[...]

Mr. Sonny, My experience has been remarkably similar. When I was a
teenager, I observed that I was "a little obsessive" about looking at my
watch, and I gave up wearing it in my free time. I do not put my watch
back on until I go to work, and I'll remove it as soon as I get home. I
had forgotten about that "little bit of freedom" I had claimed for
myself. But it reminds me a alot of some of the posts I made on
"Advertising".

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 8 Nov 2013 22:19:54 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

[...]

I only have three keys (truck, house, and an office desk drawer - too
keep my tools from walking away).
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 09 Nov 2013 09:25:18 -0500, willshak
wrote:

Sonny wrote:
[...]

I haven't worn one since ~1984. No need. There are clocks in just
about everything that plugs in, these days.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, November 9, 2013 11:55:54 AM UTC-6, k
I haven't worn one since ~1984. No need. There are clocks in just about everything that plugs in, these days.

The idea was not only to not be goverened by time, but not by so many of today's gadgets, so much; to wean oneself from the clock, first, then weaning oneself from, or becoming less dependent on, "societal" gadgets, so much, becomes easier. Frees one from the worries, complications, etc. the gadgets seem to carry with them, impose(?) upon us, demand(?) from us, in order for us to best (sic) function.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote:

I'll never forget when I first became the owner of a washer and
dryer. It
was the first time in my life I could no longer pack everything in a
car
and head out for the unknown.

Came with the house we purchased used (W&D), but sure beat driving
to the laundromat twice a week to do laundry..

Had two(2) in diapers at the time.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

snip

"willshak" wrote:

As long as he remembers the important things, like recognizing his
own name and his family and knowing how to get home, he'll be OK.
I know I am.

snip

The latest (yesterday) was a WWII British song called "We'll Meet
Again" by Vera Lynn.

IMHO, that song defines WWII.

In my thoughts, I place myself with those boys staging on those
English shores the night before "D-day" was launched wondering
how many of them had thoughts of "We'll Meet Again" every time
I hear Vera Lynn sing that song.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default And Now I Know

Passwords, cell phone, apps, pin numbers, sandwich cards, deli card, Right
Aid card, Safeway Card, Visa, Master,
zip, telephone, license number, ein #, ss number, combination, key, key 1
key 2 key 3,

just to name a few.....phew.......I know why some cave in.....
too bad, yes, it is more difficult....
john

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
eb.com...

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 9 Nov 2013 16:40:38 -0800 (PST), Sonny
wrote:

On Saturday, November 9, 2013 11:55:54 AM UTC-6, k
I haven't worn one since ~1984. No need. There are clocks in just about everything that plugs in, these days.

The idea was not only to not be goverened by time, but not by so many of today's gadgets, so much; to wean oneself from the clock, first, then weaning oneself from, or becoming less dependent on, "societal" gadgets, so much, becomes easier. Frees one from the worries, complications, etc. the gadgets seem to carry with them, impose(?) upon us, demand(?) from us, in order for us to best (sic) function.

We're all governed by time. We only have so much. To not be governed
by time is to not have relationships, business or personal.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 14:18:14 -0500, Bill

wrote:

On Saturday, November 9, 2013 11:55:54 AM UTC-6, k
I haven't worn one since ~1984. No need. There are clocks in just about everything that plugs in, these days.
The idea was not only to not be goverened by time, but not by so many of today's gadgets, so much; to wean oneself from the clock, first, then weaning oneself from, or becoming less dependent on, "societal" gadgets, so much, becomes easier. Frees one from the worries, complications, etc. the gadgets seem to carry with them, impose(?) upon us, demand(?) from us, in order for us to best (sic) function.

We're all governed by time. We only have so much. To not be governed
by time is to not have relationships, business or personal.

Maybe tis better to say that time is your servant, and not your master...
Of course, time gets the final word on the matter.

Interesting take on it. However, you still have to deal with other
humans who have the same issues. Clocks allow that to happen to the
advantage of both.