Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Type of wood?

Can any one tell me what kind of wood this is? It's light-colored, feels like a hardwood, has some interesting brown marking, doesn't particularly smell like anything when I cut it.

http://imageshack.com/i/0xm6fij

Thanks.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Michael wrote:
Can any one tell me what kind of wood this is? It's light-colored, feels like a hardwood, has some interesting brown marking, doesn't particularly smell like anything when I cut it.

http://imageshack.com/i/0xm6fij

Thanks.

Why do I have to enable Javascript to view it?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote:

Why do I have to enable Javascript to view it?

Just to give you something to bitch about.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/4/2013 1:34 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Bill" wrote:

Why do I have to enable Javascript to view it?

Just to give you something to bitch about.

Lew

As a result, I didn't view it either. No loss to Michael, I suspect.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/3/2013 11:10 PM, Michael wrote:
Can any one tell me what kind of wood this is? It's light-colored, feels like a hardwood, has some interesting brown marking, doesn't particularly smell like anything when I cut it.

http://imageshack.com/i/0xm6fij

Kinda blurry, but looks like maple.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 11/3/2013 11:10 PM, Michael wrote:
Can any one tell me what kind of wood this is? It's light-colored,
feels like a hardwood, has some interesting brown marking, doesn't
particularly smell like anything when I cut it.

http://imageshack.com/i/0xm6fij

Kinda blurry, but looks like maple.

looks kinda like basswood

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

On 11/3/2013 11:10 PM, Michael wrote:
Can any one tell me what kind of wood this is? It's
light-colored, feels like a hardwood, has some
interesting brown marking, doesn't particularly smell
like anything when I cut it. http://imageshack.com/i/0xm6fij

Kinda blurry, but looks like maple.

My opinion too.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, November 4, 2013 9:04:38 AM UTC-6, willshak wrote:
Swingman wrote:

On 11/3/2013 11:10 PM, Michael wrote:

Can any one tell me what kind of wood this is? It's light-colored,

feels like a hardwood, has some interesting brown marking, doesn't

particularly smell like anything when I cut it.

http://imageshack.com/i/0xm6fij

Kinda blurry, but looks like maple.

looks kinda like basswood

--

Bill

In Hamptonburgh, NY

In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Thanks for the info, people who responded. I've been looking at pictures on the web and can't tell. I'm making a box for a charity auction (it's supposed to have other stuff inside). I guess I could label it "Maple or possibly Basswood + Red Oak Splines."
Posted to rec.woodworking

Michael wrote in
:

Thanks for the info, people who responded. I've been looking at
pictures on the web and can't tell. I'm making a box for a charity
auction (it's supposed to have other stuff inside). I guess I could
label it "Maple or possibly Basswood + Red Oak Splines."

Basswood tends to be rather soft, while maple isn't all that soft. I don't
have a lot of experience with working either material, so I can't say more
than that.

You'd probably see advertising for something with an unknown hardwood
marked as "hardwood spline" rather than stating a specific wood.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, November 3, 2013 9:10:14 PM UTC-8, Michael wrote:
Can any one tell me what kind of wood this is? It's light-colored, feels like a hardwood, has some interesting brown marking, doesn't particularly smell like anything when I cut it.

http://imageshack.com/i/0xm6fij

Thanks.

Uhh not sure what these others are thinking but that is Cherry. Color, grain, dark sap marks. It should burn easily if you slow cut on a high speed tool and then smell a bit like a cherry cigar.

BTW I wish I could say "it doesn't smell like much when I cut it."

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/4/2013 12:10 AM, Michael wrote:
Can any one tell me what kind of wood this is? It's light-colored, feels like a hardwood, has some interesting brown marking, doesn't particularly smell like anything when I cut it.

http://imageshack.com/i/0xm6fij

Thanks.

Looks like Maple.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, November 3, 2013 9:10:14 PM UTC-8, Michael wrote:
Can any one tell me what kind of wood this is? It's light-colored, feels like a hardwood, has some interesting brown marking, doesn't particularly smell like anything when I cut it.

http://imageshack.com/i/0xm6fij

Thanks.

Uhh not sure what these others are thinking but that is Cherry. Color, grain, dark sap marks. It should burn easily if you slow cut on a high speed tool and then smell a bit like a cherry cigar.

BTW I wish I could say "it doesn't smell like much when I cut it."

Could be, but I'm still thinking maple..
but you are right it could be Cherry.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/4/13, 7:43 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On Sunday, November 3, 2013 9:10:14 PM UTC-8, Michael wrote:
Can any one tell me what kind of wood this is? It's light-colored,
feels like a hardwood, has some interesting brown marking, doesn't
particularly smell like anything when I cut it.

http://imageshack.com/i/0xm6fij

Thanks.

Uhh not sure what these others are thinking but that is Cherry. Color,
grain, dark sap marks. It should burn easily if you slow cut on a high
speed tool and then smell a bit like a cherry cigar.

BTW I wish I could say "it doesn't smell like much when I cut it."

Could be, but I'm still thinking maple..
but you are right it could be Cherry.

I was thinking maple, but the grain on the far left really looks like
cherry.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
On Sunday, November 3, 2013 9:10:14 PM UTC-8, Michael wrote:
Can any one tell me what kind of wood this is? It's light-colored, feels
like a hardwood, has some interesting brown marking, doesn't
particularly smell like anything when I cut it.

http://imageshack.com/i/0xm6fij

Thanks.

Uhh not sure what these others are thinking but that is Cherry. Color,
grain, dark sap marks. It should burn easily if you slow cut on a high
speed tool and then smell a bit like a cherry cigar.

Those "dark sap marks" are what's known as mineral streaks, much more
common in maple than cherry. I guess we'll only know for sure after some
stain is slathered on.

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker writes:
On Sunday, November 3, 2013 9:10:14 PM UTC-8, Michael wrote:
Can any one tell me what kind of wood this is? It's light-colored, feels like a hardwood, has some interesting brown marking, doesn't particularly smell like anything when I cut it.

http://imageshack.com/i/0xm6fij

Thanks.

Uhh not sure what these others are thinking but that is Cherry. Color, grain, dark sap marks. It should burn easily if you slow cut on a high speed tool and then smell a bit like a cherry cigar.

BTW I wish I could say "it doesn't smell like much when I cut it."

Could be, but I'm still thinking maple..
but you are right it could be Cherry.

I was actually thinking Birch, myself. Those brown stripes are distinctive.

It will be a bit less dense than maple, and perhaps a bit more towards the
yellow than the white.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/3/2013 11:10 PM, Michael wrote:
Can any one tell me what kind of wood this is? It's light-colored, feels like a hardwood, has some interesting brown marking, doesn't particularly smell like anything when I cut it.

http://imageshack.com/i/0xm6fij

Thanks.

FWIW,

http://aacerflooring.com/residential...stics-of-wood/

The top row of pictures show close ups of Maple. That is my vote.

That said, cut a small piece and let it burn against the blade.

Maple will typically turn brown, cherry will typically turn dark red.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 9:46:22 AM UTC-6, Leon wrote:
On 11/3/2013 11:10 PM, Michael wrote:

Can any one tell me what kind of wood this is? It's light-colored, feels like a hardwood, has some interesting brown marking, doesn't particularly smell like anything when I cut it.

http://imageshack.com/i/0xm6fij

Thanks.

FWIW,

http://aacerflooring.com/residential...stics-of-wood/

The top row of pictures show close ups of Maple. That is my vote.

That said, cut a small piece and let it burn against the blade.

Maple will typically turn brown, cherry will typically turn dark red.

I can't really smell the cherry cigar smell. I'll try this test.

Thanks.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in
:

On Sunday, November 3, 2013 9:10:14 PM UTC-8, Michael wrote:
Can any one tell me what kind of wood this is? It's
light-colored, feels like a hardwood, has some interesting
brown marking, doesn't particularly smell like anything when I
cut it.

http://imageshack.com/i/0xm6fij

Uhh not sure what these others are thinking but that is Cherry.
Color, grain, dark sap marks. It should burn easily if you slow
cut on a high speed tool and then smell a bit like a cherry
cigar.

No, it's not. The color is totally wrong for cherry, not nearly dark or red enough. Sap marks
are too wide for cherry, and also not dark enough.

It's maple.
Posted to rec.woodworking

(Scott Lurndal) wrote in :

woodchucker writes:
On Sunday, November 3, 2013 9:10:14 PM UTC-8, Michael wrote:
Can any one tell me what kind of wood this is? It's light-colored, feels like a hardwood,

has some interesting brown marking, doesn't particularly smell like anything when I cut it.

http://imageshack.com/i/0xm6fij

Thanks.

Uhh not sure what these others are thinking but that is Cherry. Color, grain, dark sap

marks. It should burn easily if you slow cut on a high speed tool and then smell a bit like a
cherry cigar.

BTW I wish I could say "it doesn't smell like much when I cut it."

Could be, but I'm still thinking maple..
but you are right it could be Cherry.

I was actually thinking Birch, myself. Those brown stripes are distinctive.

Yes, they are -- distinctively maple. Color and grain are wrong for birch, too.

It will be a bit less dense than maple, and perhaps a bit more towards the
yellow than the white.

Whether birch is less or more dense than maple depends on which maple you're
comparing it to: birch is slightly less dense than hard maple, but a whole lot *more* dense
than soft maple.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Michael wrote in news:5627e6dc-229e-49b4-ac95-
:

Can any one tell me what kind of wood this is? It's light-colored, feels like a hardwood, has

some interesting brown marking, doesn't particularly smell like anything when I cut it.

http://imageshack.com/i/0xm6fij

Maple.

See if you can dent it with your fingernail -- if you can easily leave a noticeable mark, it's soft
maple; if you can't dent it at all, or leave a faint mark only with considerable effort, it's hard
maple.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Those "dark sap marks" are what's known as mineral streaks, much more

common in maple than cherry. I guess we'll only know for sure after some

stain is slathered on.

Mineral streaks more common in Maple and especially soft Maple but sap marks in Cherry super common. Not the same animal.

That said, support for Maple and Birch now somewhat established by others comments IMHO but if the photo is true in color then the pink = Cherry.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/5/2013 5:10 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in
:

On Sunday, November 3, 2013 9:10:14 PM UTC-8, Michael wrote:
Can any one tell me what kind of wood this is? It's
light-colored, feels like a hardwood, has some interesting
brown marking, doesn't particularly smell like anything when I
cut it.

http://imageshack.com/i/0xm6fij

Uhh not sure what these others are thinking but that is Cherry.
Color, grain, dark sap marks. It should burn easily if you slow
cut on a high speed tool and then smell a bit like a cherry
cigar.

No, it's not. The color is totally wrong for cherry, not nearly dark or red enough. Sap marks
are too wide for cherry, and also not dark enough.

It's maple.

While I still think it is maple and not to argue here but the cherry
that we get in Houston tends to be quite lite in color. I find that it
is so lite that is often difficult to tell from some of the maple unless
it is right next to the maple. If I stare at it for a while I can tell
that the local cherry is not maple but not at first glance.

For instance, this cherry looks a whole lot like maple.

http://www.amazon.com/SOLID-CHERRY-H.../dp/B00633XVZE
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/5/2013 6:10 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

http://imageshack.com/i/0xm6fij

Uhh not sure what these others are thinking but that is Cherry.
Color, grain, dark sap marks. It should burn easily if you slow
cut on a high speed tool and then smell a bit like a cherry
cigar.

No, it's not. The color is totally wrong for cherry, not nearly dark or red enough. Sap marks
are too wide for cherry, and also not dark enough.

It's maple.

I wonder if computer screens are throwing us off. I went back and
looked again and still think it is cherry. Too pink to be ma[le.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/5/2013 8:49 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Same here. I have had cherry that is difficult to tell from maple even
side by side. And that is why I stepped back and gave some room...

I like Leon's test of the color of the burn, very true that they have
different burn colors. To me both burn too easily.. I alway push cherry
as fast as it will go to avoid burning. So just slow down let it burn
and determine the color.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/5/13, 8:44 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/5/2013 6:10 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

http://imageshack.com/i/0xm6fij

Uhh not sure what these others are thinking but that is Cherry.
Color, grain, dark sap marks. It should burn easily if you slow
cut on a high speed tool and then smell a bit like a cherry
cigar.

No, it's not. The color is totally wrong for cherry, not nearly dark
or red enough. Sap marks
are too wide for cherry, and also not dark enough.

It's maple.

I wonder if computer screens are throwing us off. I went back and
looked again and still think it is cherry. Too pink to be ma[le.

Perhaps your monitor. My is calibrated and I see no pink.
That picture, however is a little warm in temperature which may be
screwing to more pink in your monitor.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

I vote soft maple.

Maybe comparing the end grain of your lumber to the end grain pics on this site - http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/ - maple vs cherry, would help. The "Maple, misc" listing has a few more pics, also.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 3:10:14 PM UTC-8, Doug Miller wrote:
"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in

:

On Sunday, November 3, 2013 9:10:14 PM UTC-8, Michael wrote:

Can any one tell me what kind of wood this is? It's

light-colored, feels like a hardwood, has some interesting

brown marking, doesn't particularly smell like anything when I

cut it.

http://imageshack.com/i/0xm6fij

Uhh not sure what these others are thinking but that is Cherry.

Color, grain, dark sap marks. It should burn easily if you slow

cut on a high speed tool and then smell a bit like a cherry

cigar.

No, it's not. The color is totally wrong for cherry, not nearly dark or red enough. Sap marks

are too wide for cherry, and also not dark enough.

It's maple.

I have over 10k bf of Cherry right now. Good Appalachian Cherry. Much of it is darker and much of it is lighter than those pieces. Most of it when freshly milled is about that color.
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Can you send some of it my way..

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

Can you send some of it my way..

I will attempt to sell most of it off once I finish a long term (remodel) project that has me buried right now. If you are in the SF Bay Area you are welcome to buy all you need. I'll prob announce it here once I get my act together.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Related topic:

I know someone who is no longer into woodworking that selling an "extra
property" and needs get rid of a "pretty large stack" of cherry boards
he has long had there. I have not seen the stack. He brought me a small
sample--about 1" thick and not quartersawn. Since it would need so
much work, I was thinking that $1.50/bd-ft., or so, might be a fair
price. He'll probably think that's a low-ball offer and I'm pretty sure
he won't cheat himself. Just curious what the consensus thinks would be
a fair offer.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 6 Nov 2013 13:48:09 -0800 (PST), "SonomaProducts.com"
wrote:

[...]

Has anyone told you that YOU SUCK, recently?

When are you going to start selling the Mission table kits?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

Related topic:

I know someone who is no longer into woodworking that selling an
"extra property" and needs get rid of a "pretty large stack" of
cherry boards he has long had there. I have not seen the stack. He
brought me a small sample--about 1" thick and not quartersawn. Since
it would need so much work, I was thinking that $1.50/bd-ft., or so,
might be a fair price. He'll probably think that's a low-ball offer
and I'm pretty sure he won't cheat himself. Just curious what the
consensus thinks would be a fair offer.

Bill

I know I should check for things like cracking. Anything else, like "bugs"?
I don't know if the boards are resting on dirt or concrete.

Cherry would fit into my plans pretty well, I hope he has plenty!
Floor space will go q quick! : )

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/6/2013 7:49 PM, Bill wrote:

Related topic:

I know someone who is no longer into woodworking that selling an "extra
property" and needs get rid of a "pretty large stack" of cherry boards
he has long had there. I have not seen the stack. He brought me a small
sample--about 1" thick and not quartersawn. Since it would need so
much work, I was thinking that $1.50/bd-ft., or so, might be a fair
price. He'll probably think that's a low-ball offer and I'm pretty sure
he won't cheat himself. Just curious what the consensus thinks would be
a fair offer.

Bill

Bill, most cherry is selling for anywhere from 3.35 to 4.50 a bd ft for
4/4 depending on locale.

Figured higher.

if his wood has been well stored and covered , stickered you can expect
to pay around that. If on the other hand it was already surfaced, I
devalue that, since I can't fix it without going thinner.

If it has been stored uncovered and exposed to sunlight, that would
devalue it as it is probably not evenly darkened.

If it is all twisted and looks like a pretzel it can be good fire wood.

It depends on it's shape is what I am saying. If it has bugs, consider
where you are going to store it ,and if you can aford to spray it with
insecticides with your allergies. Do understand spraying is only getting
at the surface to really do damage to the critters you have to spray
down the tunnels, and let it run. Unless they are bark borers..

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

Can you send some of it my way..

I will attempt to sell most of it off once I finish a long term (remodel) project that has me buried right now. If you are in the SF Bay Area you are welcome to buy all you need. I'll prob announce it here once I get my act together.

NJ and it would not pay for me to ship it.
I have noticed a drop off in desire for cherry again.. still strong, but
not as strong as b4..

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
On 11/6/2013 7:49 PM, Bill wrote:

[...]

Jeff, Thank you! You raised some really good points that didn't even
occur to me. He told me that someone gave the wood to him quite a long
while back. If it needs to be treated with insecticides then I will
walk away (thanks for bring up the allergy point). Also, I don't want
extra wood-eaters near my house! I just tossed out a "shop worm"--I'm
not sure how it got it (it's raining outside)! You provided me with
some good questions to ask or think about (before making the 30 mile
trip)! BTW, I got my price estimate by observing that some mills were
selling cherry for as little as $2/bd-ft. Like you said, location,
location, location!

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote:

BTW, I got my price estimate by observing that some mills were
selling cherry for as little as $2/bd-ft. Like you said, location,
location, location!

If it is a reputable local mill offering cherry for $2/bf, why are you
wasting time looking elsewhere?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Bill" wrote:

BTW, I got my price estimate by observing that some mills were
selling cherry for as little as $2/bd-ft. Like you said, location,
location, location!

If it is a reputable local mill offering cherry for $2/bf, why are you
wasting time looking elsewhere?

Lew

It wasn't local. It was a few hundred miles due south When I mentioned
that I thought cherry was going for about $7 his eyes lit up and he
agreed with me. But all of his wood would have to be "reconditioned".
I didn't mean I was expecting to pay him that much. On the other hand,
provided it's usable, I'll be willing to take it all off his hands.

Some cherry he
http://irsauctions.com/index_search_...nd=50&srch=366
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
woodchucker wrote:
Figured higher.

if his wood has been well stored and covered , stickered you can
expect to pay around that. If on the other hand it was already
surfaced, I devalue that, since I can't fix it without going thinner.

If it has been stored uncovered and exposed to sunlight, that would
devalue it as it is probably not evenly darkened.

I took it for granted that it would all need to be run through a
jointer. Do those effects from the exposure to sunlight, etc, run
deep? Based on the evidence, I think it's fair to say that the tree(s)
were cut down at least 10 years ago. Maybe that's not so much in tree
or dog-years. I get the feeling that the wood is stored in an outdoor
shelter. And ratts, that's the sort of question I should have already
asked... (however, you are teaching me).

I learned that cherry weighs about 3#/board-ft, so that provides another
weigh to measure it. OTOH, I suspect I will do probably do better just
offering a dollar amount for the whole lot--"as is, where is" (and that
seems more normal to ordinary folks). Because of my flexibility in most
aspects of this transaction, I would expect to get a price break
compared to the typical retail price.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Because of my flexibility in most aspects of this transaction, I
would expect to get a price break compared to the typical retail price.

If necessary, I'll remind him that he told me that a neighbor gave him
the wood for free! : )

Cheers,
Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

It wasn't local. It was a few hundred miles due south When I
mentioned that I thought cherry was going for about $7 his eyes lit
up and he agreed with me. But all of his wood would have to be
"reconditioned". I didn't mean I was expecting to pay him that much. On
the other hand, provided it's usable, I'll be willing to take it
all off his hands.

Holy cow Bill - $7 per board foot!? I guess prices are one hell of a lot
different there than they are here. Or - were you simply uncertain of the
real prices? Best advice - always check with a reputable mill in the
outlying areas to be sure.

--

-Mike-

Wood type in the hub of a Wood Spoked Wagon Wheel Bob AZ Woodworking 23 April 8th 07 12:26 AM
What type of wood to use around a wood stove? Woodworking 0 November 4th 06 01:12 PM
What type of wood to use around a wood stove? bdeditch Woodworking 5 November 4th 06 09:44 AM
wood type Duckster Woodworking 1 April 21st 05 03:30 AM
What type of wood is this? David Woodworking 19 August 26th 04 03:36 PM