Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Down and dirty drawers

For a personal kitchen refresh in rental property:

Inexpensive locking rabbet joint drawers, made with 1/2" prefinished
drawer sides (3 1/2"; 7"; 9 1/2" widths), and 1/4" prefinished birch
plywood:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-7...o/IMAGE_71.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-W...o/IMAGE_70.jpg

Total cost of drawer material: $100.25, and approximately 4 hours shop
labor.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 10:14:48 -0600, Swingman wrote:

For a personal kitchen refresh in rental property:

Inexpensive locking rabbet joint drawers, made with 1/2" prefinished
drawer sides (3 1/2"; 7"; 9 1/2" widths), and 1/4" prefinished birch
plywood:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-7...o/IMAGE_71.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-W...o/IMAGE_70.jpg

Total cost of drawer material: $100.25, and approximately 4 hours shop
labor.

Pretty slick, I like that method of drawer. All my drawers actually,
except I use 1/2" ply for the bottom and shellac them.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/3/2013 10:14 AM, Swingman wrote:
For a personal kitchen refresh in rental property:

Inexpensive locking rabbet joint drawers, made with 1/2" prefinished
drawer sides (3 1/2"; 7"; 9 1/2" widths), and 1/4" prefinished birch
plywood:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-7...o/IMAGE_71.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-W...o/IMAGE_70.jpg

Total cost of drawer material: $100.25, and approximately 4 hours shop
labor.

Very cool!

Did you for go the removable bottoms and totally capture them?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/4/2013 8:03 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 11/4/2013 6:00 AM, Leon wrote:
Did you for go the removable bottoms and totally capture them?

And or.

Captured.

I make all of my drawers that way, I have never had an instance where I
wish that I had not.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 08:13:03 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
I make all of my drawers that way, I have never had an instance where I
wish that I had not.

I have, one time. Bottle of glue with a cracked cap tipped over in the
drawer and hardened on the bottom. It was a pain to remove and replace
it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 10:14:48 -0600, Swingman wrote:

For a personal kitchen refresh in rental property:

Inexpensive locking rabbet joint drawers, made with 1/2" prefinished
drawer sides (3 1/2"; 7"; 9 1/2" widths), and 1/4" prefinished birch
plywood:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-7...o/IMAGE_71.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-W...o/IMAGE_70.jpg

Total cost of drawer material: $100.25, and approximately 4 hours shop
labor.

Total, or per drawer? I suppose either way, it's amazing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 10:14:48 -0600, Swingman wrote:

For a personal kitchen refresh in rental property:

Inexpensive locking rabbet joint drawers, made with 1/2" prefinished
drawer sides (3 1/2"; 7"; 9 1/2" widths), and 1/4" prefinished birch
plywood:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-7...o/IMAGE_71.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-W...o/IMAGE_70.jpg

Total cost of drawer material: $100.25, and approximately 4 hours shop
labor.

Total, or per drawer? I suppose either way, it's amazing.

No, that's the total material cost for all seven drawers, with 1/2 sheet+
prefinished1/4" ply left over; and maybe enough drawer side material for
one more smaller 3 1/2" tall drawer.

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)
Posted to rec.woodworking

For a personal kitchen refresh in rental property:
Inexpensive locking rabbet joint drawers, made with 1/2" prefinished
drawer sides (3 1/2"; 7"; 9 1/2" widths), and 1/4" prefinished birch
plywood:

Looks nice. I'm sure the prefinished plywood would save some time, but I
always make my drawers with 1/2" birch ply sides, and 1/4" birch bottoms.
No fancy joinery, just route a groove in the sides for the bottom, then
glue and brad nail the drawers together (simple butt joints). Sand lightly,
then a couple coats of poly to finish them off.

The dovetail purists would have a fit, but I've built a LOT of drawers this
way and never had a problem. Even in the shop where the drawers are heavily
loaded with tools. Drawers are usually hidden away anyway so nobody see's
the joinery unless you open the door and look.

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/4/2013 9:04 AM, HerHusband wrote:
[...]

For clients, and most kitchens we build, I use 3/4" maple sides, routed
dovetails (both Akeda and Leigh D4), and 1/2" maple ply bottoms, and
have done literally hundreds upon hundreds of them:

https://plus.google.com/photos/+Karl...67778981859077

https://plus.google.com/photos/+Karl...67778981859077

But, when it comes to making/eating my own dog food, I tend to go
inexpensive, down and dirty, and with the least possible time away from
the woodworking that pay the bills.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, November 4, 2013 10:39:16 AM UTC-6, Swingman wrote:

But, when it comes to making/eating my own dog food, I tend to go

inexpensive, down and dirty, and with the least possible time away from

the woodworking that pay the bills.

I remember sheepish admitting that I used locking rabbet joints when we were talking a couple of years ago. I go the biggest kick out of you showing me examples in your house of cabinets where you had used the same method/system.

While dovetails certainly take more time and show more craftsmanship, to me there is nothing wrong with a joint that works. As I have said many times, I am an on site kind of guy, and I can knock together a few drawers using precut rabbeted materials I can take to the site. Never have a I had a properly glued rabbet joint fail. I love the speed of putting the pieces together and using a couple of hidden brads to hold the drawer together instead of clamping and waiting.

Then again, I don't build the upper end stuff, and folks are usually paying me for speed, dash and accuracy. That many finished drawers sized and ready for hardware certainly meets those requirements in spades! Nicely done.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, November 4, 2013 3:22:39 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

Ask him about the kitchen drawer slides in "his kitchen" ;~)

Well... seems I missed something. Karl? Comments?

Inquiring minds need to know!

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

"HerHusband"
wrote in message
[...]

Time for some humor:
When I bought this house I'm living in I was
surprised to find that there
were _no_ drawers in the kitchen cabinets! None!
Many years later
I met a guy who proudly said he built the kitchen
cabinets in this
house. So of course I said: You forgot to put in
drawers! He said
they only collect junk and he didn't think they
were worth it! True
story I swear....! ;)} Or perhaps these drawers
are so well hidden
I never found them.... heh heh ...