DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Down and dirty drawers (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/363683-down-dirty-drawers.html)

Swingman November 3rd 13 04:14 PM

Down and dirty drawers

For a personal kitchen refresh in rental property:

Inexpensive locking rabbet joint drawers, made with 1/2" prefinished
drawer sides (3 1/2"; 7"; 9 1/2" widths), and 1/4" prefinished birch
plywood:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-7...o/IMAGE_71.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-W...o/IMAGE_70.jpg

Total cost of drawer material: $100.25, and approximately 4 hours shop
labor.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Markem[_2_] November 3rd 13 04:47 PM

Down and dirty drawers

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 10:14:48 -0600, Swingman wrote:

For a personal kitchen refresh in rental property:

Inexpensive locking rabbet joint drawers, made with 1/2" prefinished
drawer sides (3 1/2"; 7"; 9 1/2" widths), and 1/4" prefinished birch
plywood:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-7...o/IMAGE_71.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-W...o/IMAGE_70.jpg

Total cost of drawer material: $100.25, and approximately 4 hours shop
labor.

Pretty slick, I like that method of drawer. All my drawers actually,
except I use 1/2" ply for the bottom and shellac them.

Leon[_7_] November 3rd 13 08:04 PM

Down and dirty drawers

On 11/3/2013 10:14 AM, Swingman wrote:
For a personal kitchen refresh in rental property:

Inexpensive locking rabbet joint drawers, made with 1/2" prefinished
drawer sides (3 1/2"; 7"; 9 1/2" widths), and 1/4" prefinished birch
plywood:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-7...o/IMAGE_71.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-W...o/IMAGE_70.jpg

Total cost of drawer material: $100.25, and approximately 4 hours shop
labor.

Very cool!

Did you for go the removable bottoms and totally capture them?

[email protected] November 3rd 13 10:54 PM

Down and dirty drawers

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 10:14:48 -0600, Swingman wrote:

For a personal kitchen refresh in rental property:

Inexpensive locking rabbet joint drawers, made with 1/2" prefinished
drawer sides (3 1/2"; 7"; 9 1/2" widths), and 1/4" prefinished birch
plywood:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-7...o/IMAGE_71.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-W...o/IMAGE_70.jpg

Total cost of drawer material: $100.25, and approximately 4 hours shop
labor.

Total, or per drawer? I suppose either way, it's amazing.

Swingman November 4th 13 01:21 AM

Down and dirty drawers

wrote:
On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 10:14:48 -0600, Swingman wrote:

For a personal kitchen refresh in rental property:

Inexpensive locking rabbet joint drawers, made with 1/2" prefinished
drawer sides (3 1/2"; 7"; 9 1/2" widths), and 1/4" prefinished birch
plywood:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-7...o/IMAGE_71.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-W...o/IMAGE_70.jpg

Total cost of drawer material: $100.25, and approximately 4 hours shop
labor.

Total, or per drawer? I suppose either way, it's amazing.

No, that's the total material cost for all seven drawers, with 1/2 sheet+
prefinished1/4" ply left over; and maybe enough drawer side material for
one more smaller 3 1/2" tall drawer.

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

Leon[_7_] November 4th 13 02:13 PM

Down and dirty drawers

On 11/4/2013 8:03 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 11/4/2013 6:00 AM, Leon wrote:
Did you for go the removable bottoms and totally capture them?

And or.

Captured.

I make all of my drawers that way, I have never had an instance where I
wish that I had not.

[email protected] November 4th 13 02:23 PM

Down and dirty drawers

On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 08:13:03 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
I make all of my drawers that way, I have never had an instance where I
wish that I had not.

I have, one time. Bottle of glue with a cracked cap tipped over in the
drawer and hardened on the bottom. It was a pain to remove and replace
it.

HerHusband November 4th 13 03:04 PM

Down and dirty drawers

For a personal kitchen refresh in rental property:
Inexpensive locking rabbet joint drawers, made with 1/2" prefinished
drawer sides (3 1/2"; 7"; 9 1/2" widths), and 1/4" prefinished birch
plywood:

Looks nice. I'm sure the prefinished plywood would save some time, but I
always make my drawers with 1/2" birch ply sides, and 1/4" birch bottoms.
No fancy joinery, just route a groove in the sides for the bottom, then
glue and brad nail the drawers together (simple butt joints). Sand lightly,
then a couple coats of poly to finish them off.

The dovetail purists would have a fit, but I've built a LOT of drawers this
way and never had a problem. Even in the shop where the drawers are heavily
loaded with tools. Drawers are usually hidden away anyway so nobody see's
the joinery unless you open the door and look.

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com

Swingman November 4th 13 04:39 PM

Down and dirty drawers

On 11/4/2013 9:04 AM, HerHusband wrote:
[...]

For clients, and most kitchens we build, I use 3/4" maple sides, routed
dovetails (both Akeda and Leigh D4), and 1/2" maple ply bottoms, and
have done literally hundreds upon hundreds of them:

https://plus.google.com/photos/+Karl...67778981859077

https://plus.google.com/photos/+Karl...67778981859077

But, when it comes to making/eating my own dog food, I tend to go
inexpensive, down and dirty, and with the least possible time away from
the woodworking that pay the bills.

[email protected] November 4th 13 08:27 PM

Down and dirty drawers

On Monday, November 4, 2013 10:39:16 AM UTC-6, Swingman wrote:

But, when it comes to making/eating my own dog food, I tend to go

inexpensive, down and dirty, and with the least possible time away from

the woodworking that pay the bills.

I remember sheepish admitting that I used locking rabbet joints when we were talking a couple of years ago. I go the biggest kick out of you showing me examples in your house of cabinets where you had used the same method/system.

While dovetails certainly take more time and show more craftsmanship, to me there is nothing wrong with a joint that works. As I have said many times, I am an on site kind of guy, and I can knock together a few drawers using precut rabbeted materials I can take to the site. Never have a I had a properly glued rabbet joint fail. I love the speed of putting the pieces together and using a couple of hidden brads to hold the drawer together instead of clamping and waiting.

Then again, I don't build the upper end stuff, and folks are usually paying me for speed, dash and accuracy. That many finished drawers sized and ready for hardware certainly meets those requirements in spades! Nicely done.

Robert

Leon[_7_] November 4th 13 09:22 PM

Down and dirty drawers

On 11/4/2013 2:27 PM, wrote:
[...]

Ask him about the kitchen drawer slides in "his kitchen" ;~)

Phil Kangas[_4_] November 4th 13 10:03 PM

Down and dirty drawers

"HerHusband"
wrote in message
[...]

Time for some humor:
When I bought this house I'm living in I was
surprised to find that there
were _no_ drawers in the kitchen cabinets! None!
Many years later
I met a guy who proudly said he built the kitchen
cabinets in this
house. So of course I said: You forgot to put in
drawers! He said
they only collect junk and he didn't think they
were worth it! True
story I swear....! ;)} Or perhaps these drawers
are so well hidden
I never found them.... heh heh ...

[email protected] November 4th 13 10:57 PM

Down and dirty drawers

On Monday, November 4, 2013 3:22:39 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

Ask him about the kitchen drawer slides in "his kitchen" ;~)

Well... seems I missed something. Karl? Comments?

Inquiring minds need to know!

Robert

Leon[_7_] November 4th 13 11:40 PM

Down and dirty drawers

On 11/4/2013 4:57 PM, wrote:
On Monday, November 4, 2013 3:22:39 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

Ask him about the kitchen drawer slides in "his kitchen" ;~)

Well... seems I missed something. Karl? Comments?

Inquiring minds need to know!

Robert

LOL. When we are paying for our own stuff we tend to scrimp here and there.

Same style as our new house, not purdy but get the job done.

Are you and Kathy coming to Houston for Christmas?

Swingman November 5th 13 02:59 AM

Down and dirty drawers

On 11/4/2013 5:40 PM, Leon wrote:
On 11/4/2013 4:57 PM, wrote:
On Monday, November 4, 2013 3:22:39 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

Ask him about the kitchen drawer slides in "his kitchen" ;~)

Well... seems I missed something. Karl? Comments?

Inquiring minds need to know!

Robert

LOL. When we are paying for our own stuff we tend to scrimp here and
there.

Fiddy cents is fiddy cents ...

Same style as our new house, not purdy but get the job done.

Are you and Kathy coming to Houston for Christmas?

I sure hope so, they are certainly expected.

Lew Hodgett[_6_] November 5th 13 03:24 AM

Down and dirty drawers

"Swingman" wrote:

Fiddy cents is fiddy cents ...

-----------------------------------
Waste not, want not.

Lew

[email protected] November 5th 13 06:01 AM

Down and dirty drawers

On Monday, November 4, 2013 8:59:18 PM UTC-6, Swingman wrote:

Are you and Kathy coming to Houston for Christmas?

I sure hope so, they are certainly expected.

I hope so, too. This has become just about the best part of the holidays for us both. No stress, great food, great company, great accommodations, a guaranteed lovely time, and... no stress.

We will see, though. She was laid off two weeks ago and is unsure what the future holds. Her mortgage company was purchased by a bank and it was decided that she and 10 of her colleagues made too much money when compared to bank salaries. In a true mortgage company compensation is determined by production and little else. In a bank, it is all about the bottom line, seniority,and maximizing profit without regard for good business sense. The bank was literally letting deals fall through because they couldn't find someone to authorize an hour or two of overtime when needed. And Kathy was told that if she worked overtime without specific permission of a V.P., she would be terminated.

It was a mess, but she liked the job when she got it. But when they were bought out about 8 - 9 months ago, things changed rapidly. Personally, I am glad she isn't there anymore but no one likes to look for a job.

So it depends on what the future brings. I am lucky since I have no job, I don't have to worry. ;^) She will be telling her new employers that she expects to have time enough for us to be there off, but she won't press the issue too hard. I told her I would hate to go without her... then she told me I couldn't. She was serious when she said it... !

Robert

Lew Hodgett[_6_] November 5th 13 06:43 AM

Down and dirty drawers

wrote:

snip

We will see, though. She was laid off two weeks ago and is unsure
what the future holds. Her mortgage company was purchased by a bank
and it was decided that she and 10 of her colleagues made too much
money when compared to bank salaries. In a true mortgage company
compensation is determined by production and little else. In a bank,
it is all about the bottom line, seniority,and maximizing profit
without regard for good business sense. The bank was literally letting
deals fall through because they couldn't find someone to authorize an
hour or two of overtime when needed. And Kathy was told that if she
worked overtime without specific permission of a V.P., she would be
terminated.
Only the "Actors" and the "Stage" change with time, the "Play" remains
the same.

Been an "Actor" in that "Play" myself.

Wasn't pretty and served as the motivation to become self employed.
snip
So it depends on what the future brings. I am lucky since I have no
job, I don't have to worry. ;^) She will be telling her new
employers that she expects to have time enough for us to be there off,
but she won't press the issue too hard. I told her I would hate to go
without her... then she told me I couldn't. She was serious when she
said it... !
Guess you will take those words very seriouslyG.

Best of luck in the coming year.

Lew

Leon[_7_] November 5th 13 02:07 PM

Down and dirty drawers

On 11/5/2013 12:01 AM, wrote:
[...]

I side with you Robert, better to not be working for a bank. Seems
these days that the goal is to teach the employees to eliminate their
jobs. It goes something like this, Mr Soandso, did you know that you
don't have to come into the bank? You can simply use our out doors ATM
and in short order the bank will no longer need me any more.

The freaking key grips that call the shots are clueless about customers
that want to see the same faces when they walk in. The customers want
to get some level of service for their 19 cents they are being paid for
their $15,000 in minimum balances.

Hope she gets a better job soon!

[email protected] November 5th 13 09:35 PM

Down and dirty drawers

On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 12:43:20 AM UTC-6, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Only the "Actors" and the "Stage" change with time, the "Play" remains

the same.

Been an "Actor" in that "Play" myself.

Wasn't pretty and served as the motivation to become self employed.

Me, too. I was self employed for years, then took a job and actually worked for a bank (the old NORWEST banking system) managing and developing home construction and permanent loans.

They tried to cut my pay simply because I made more money than the two Texas Vice Presidents. The reason? I was on mostly commission, didn't play golf, hand ball, or have two hour lunches. I put loans together and collected my commissions. Had I done poorly, they wouldn't have noticed me, but the green eyed monsters whined to upper management about being "fair" since they had seniority, and they almost got me. My solution of course was for them to give up their salaries and get out in the world where 90% of their pay was commission. You know, "no worky, no eaty". Their solution was to cut my pay to retain "parity". My attorney's solution was much more jolting to all of us, as he dared them to cut my pay based on my high production.

Not long after that, I was gone. Nine months after I left with my production and my pending loans, they were gone.

Assholes. Idiots. Morons. But the risk of having no job was a chance they would take rather than to see someone get ahead that they thought didn't deserve it. They never understood that if I wasn't successful and didn't bring in loans, I would never have made the money I did.

Guess you will take those words very seriouslyG.

Best of luck in the coming year.

Lew

You bet I do!

Thanks for the good wishes, Lew. I am hoping it is better than the last few have been. And same back at you!

Robert

Lew Hodgett[_6_] November 6th 13 06:04 AM

Down and dirty drawers

"Mike M" wrote:
Totally agree with you, I've never used ATM's wouldn't even know
how,
it's easier to just go inside.

Interesting.

Can't remember the last time I was in a bank.

Standing in line for 15-20 minutes waiting to get to a teller comes
under the
heading of ridiculous in my book.

Forget even thinking about going to a bank on a Friday.

Lew

[email protected] November 6th 13 06:07 PM

Down and dirty drawers

On Mon, 4 Nov 2013 22:01:12 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

[...]

My wife worked for a bank until about a year ago. They were always
looking for some way to cut corners and about six months ago they
bought out everyone over 60. If she'd waited six months to leave,
they would have given her a year's pay. :-(

Because of the economy, she's been unable to find a job. Even the
banks aren't hiring. Amazingly, no one even wants volunteers, at
least no one that doesn't want you to pay for the privilege. She will
probably take her measly SS in the spring, when she turns 62.

dpb November 6th 13 09:18 PM

Down and dirty drawers

On 11/6/2013 2:31 PM, Leon wrote:

I don't pay fees, but what is a CU?

Credit Union, I presume.

Doug Winterburn November 6th 13 09:21 PM

Down and dirty drawers

On 11/06/2013 01:31 PM, Leon wrote:

I don't pay fees, but what is a CU?

Credit Union. I have belonged to one for the last 20 years and there
are no fees. Similar to KRW, I'm 45 minutes from the nearest branch.
ATMs at other local CUs are fee free and I can do check deposits online
from my desktop using a scanner or my tablet using the camera. Since we
do RVing for about 4 months a year, we have all our regular bills paid
automatically - no fees.

Credit Unions are generally run _by_ folks elected from the membership
and are run _for_ the membership.

--
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure,the creed of ignorance, and the
gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery"

dpb November 6th 13 09:23 PM

Down and dirty drawers

On 11/6/2013 12:23 PM, wrote:

Banks aren't in business to serve people, rather businesses. If you
don't get "free" everything, find a different bank, or better, a CU.

That certainly varies by bank. Some are very commercially oriented,
others, sorta' in between and yet others are very much interested in the
personal banking.

How much of which tends to correlate with size and regionality of the
operation altho even some of the very large have branches that
concentrate on local/personal arenas.

Best personal service if that is what one is looking for is quite likely
going to be found with the local or smaller regional bank, not BOA or
W-F or somesuch.

[email protected] November 7th 13 12:41 AM

Down and dirty drawers

On Wed, 06 Nov 2013 15:23:03 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 11/6/2013 12:23 PM, wrote:

Banks aren't in business to serve people, rather businesses. If you
don't get "free" everything, find a different bank, or better, a CU.

That certainly varies by bank. Some are very commercially oriented,
others, sorta' in between and yet others are very much interested in the
personal banking.

Sure, it varies a lot by bank but people are not their purpose.
They're "commercial banks". Credit unions are run by people for
people (and yes, they vary a lot, too). Ours happens to be very good,
so we've stuck with them for 40 years, over 20 of that living in a
different state.

How much of which tends to correlate with size and regionality of the
operation altho even some of the very large have branches that
concentrate on local/personal arenas.

Best personal service if that is what one is looking for is quite likely
going to be found with the local or smaller regional bank, not BOA or
W-F or somesuch.

+1

OTOH, I have a CC with a megabank. I only have it for its cash-back.

dpb November 7th 13 01:55 AM

Down and dirty drawers

On 11/6/2013 6:41 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 06 Nov 2013 15:23:03 -0600, wrote:

On 11/6/2013 12:23 PM,

Banks aren't in business to serve people, rather businesses. If you
don't get "free" everything, find a different bank, or better, a CU.

That certainly varies by bank. Some are very commercially oriented,
others, sorta' in between and yet others are very much interested in the
personal banking.

Sure, it varies a lot by bank but people are not their purpose.
They're "commercial banks". Credit unions are run by people for
people (and yes, they vary a lot, too). Ours happens to be very good,
so we've stuck with them for 40 years, over 20 of that living in a
different state.

Nonsense.

CU's have their place certainly, but they're not _necessarily_ any
panacea, either. We dealt w/ a decent CU in TN, but the local bank here
is far better.

-MIKE- November 7th 13 03:36 AM

Down and dirty drawers

On 11/6/13, 7:55 PM, dpb wrote:
On 11/6/2013 6:41 PM, wrote:
[...]

We came from an Ohio credit union for more than a decade to a TN credit
union for more than a decade. We had a time between where we were with a
bank, a good bank that came highly recommended and had a great
reputation. They SUCKED!

Everything about the bank sucked compared to both CUs.
Lousy service, fees, lower interest rates, did I mention fees?

It's like going from riding the bus to a private limo.
We will never go back.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

[email protected] November 7th 13 06:32 AM

Down and dirty drawers

On Wed, 06 Nov 2013 21:36:55 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

Everything about the bank sucked compared to both CUs.
Lousy service, fees, lower interest rates, did I mention fees?

Just because you've had a better experience at CU's doesn't discount
someone else having a better experience at some bank.

dpb November 7th 13 01:56 PM

Down and dirty drawers

On 11/6/2013 9:36 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

We came from an Ohio credit union for more than a decade to a TN credit
union for more than a decade. We had a time between where we were with a
bank, a good bank that came highly recommended and had a great
reputation. They SUCKED!

Everything about the bank sucked compared to both CUs.
Lousy service, fees, lower interest rates, did I mention fees?

Well, that may have been; we were w/ a TN CU for 25 yr 'til returned to
family farm in KS. The bank we're using here (local, independent) is
_far_ more friendly, serviceable and less expensive. The fees are less
than were paying the CU in TN.

OTOH, there's a branch of BOA here that has all the issues they're known
for nationally on a smaller scale--how they remain open is beyond my
ken, but for some reason they do. Inertia on most peoples' part I
suppose altho we took Mom's account from there shortly after
returning--the personal account was still there because it, too, had
been a local bank until having sold out some time ago and gone thru a
half-dozen or more transitions before finally the last group of which it
belonged was one that BOA bought out.

Again, it's all in the actual institution, not a generality.

[email protected] November 7th 13 06:56 PM

Down and dirty drawers

On Wed, 06 Nov 2013 19:55:32 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 11/6/2013 6:41 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 06 Nov 2013 15:23:03 -0600, wrote:

On 11/6/2013 12:23 PM,

Banks aren't in business to serve people, rather businesses. If you
don't get "free" everything, find a different bank, or better, a CU.

That certainly varies by bank. Some are very commercially oriented,
others, sorta' in between and yet others are very much interested in the
personal banking.

Sure, it varies a lot by bank but people are not their purpose.
They're "commercial banks". Credit unions are run by people for
people (and yes, they vary a lot, too). Ours happens to be very good,
so we've stuck with them for 40 years, over 20 of that living in a
different state.

Nonsense.

It's not.

CU's have their place certainly, but they're not _necessarily_ any
panacea, either. We dealt w/ a decent CU in TN, but the local bank here
is far better.

That's a rarity. What about the CU there?

dpb November 7th 13 07:58 PM

Down and dirty drawers

On 11/7/2013 12:56 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 06 Nov 2013 19:55:32 -0600, wrote:

On 11/6/2013 6:41 PM,
wrote:
On Wed, 06 Nov 2013 15:23:03 -0600, wrote:

On 11/6/2013 12:23 PM,

Banks aren't in business to serve people, rather businesses. If you
don't get "free" everything, find a different bank, or better, a CU.

That certainly varies by bank. Some are very commercially oriented,
others, sorta' in between and yet others are very much interested in the
personal banking.

Sure, it varies a lot by bank but people are not their purpose.
They're "commercial banks". Credit unions are run by people for
people (and yes, they vary a lot, too). Ours happens to be very good,
so we've stuck with them for 40 years, over 20 of that living in a
different state.

Nonsense.

It's not.

As a generic statement it's worthless--there are very good, mediocre and
very bad CUs just as there are of everything else. There were three
large ones in TN that each filled one of the niches...the third actually
ended up folding and was absorbed by the second not long after we left.

CU's have their place certainly, but they're not _necessarily_ any
panacea, either. We dealt w/ a decent CU in TN, but the local bank here
is far better.

That's a rarity. What about the CU there?

Not in my experience it's not, no. Then again, I don't deal with the
major banks but smaller, local ones where I know the people involved
directly outside the bank as well.

There have been some of those everywhere I've lived; large communities
as well as small.

Again, there are some but none for which am eligible that would consider
using instead of the bank. We do have some funds there--grandparents
and parents were cofounders and I have a $5 bill there from the same
time in the late 50s still there... :)

Mike M November 7th 13 09:50 PM

Down and dirty drawers

On Tue, 5 Nov 2013 22:04:31 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

"Mike M" wrote:
Totally agree with you, I've never used ATM's wouldn't even know
how,
it's easier to just go inside.

Interesting.

Can't remember the last time I was in a bank.

Standing in line for 15-20 minutes waiting to get to a teller comes
under the
heading of ridiculous in my book.

Forget even thinking about going to a bank on a Friday.

Lew

A lot depends on where you live. The nearest town to me has a
population of 7100. Most of them all work in one of the big cities so
it's pretty quiet during the week for those of us who choose not to
work.

MikeM

Lew Hodgett[_6_] November 8th 13 12:01 AM

Down and dirty drawers

"Mike M" wrote in message
On Tue, 5 Nov 2013 22:04:31 -0800,

"Mike M" wrote:

A lot depends on where you live. The nearest town to me has a
population of 7100. Most of them all work in one of the big cities
so
it's pretty quiet during the week for those of us who choose not to
work.

Living in a major metro area puts a different spin on things.

When I came to Los Angeles, looked around for the bank that had the
most ATMs.

No surprise it was BOA.

After using a savings account as a parking place for spending money
available thru
ATM for a few years, BOA offered a free checking account if you opened
it with
a direct deposit tied to it.

NBD, so now have a free local checking acc't with direct payment of
most bills paid as req'd.

I'm left with 1-2 paper checks per month and no need to go into a bank
branch.

Don't miss having to stand in line.

The nearest BOA has five (5) ATMs and anytime I've peaked inside the
bank have never
seen more that three (3) tellers on the windows.

Think there is a message there.

Lew

Mike Marlow[_2_] November 8th 13 01:13 AM

Down and dirty drawers

wrote:

"Mike M" wrote:
Totally agree with you, I've never used ATM's wouldn't even know
how,
it's easier to just go inside.

Interesting.

Can't remember the last time I was in a bank.

Standing in line for 15-20 minutes waiting to get to a teller comes
under the
heading of ridiculous in my book.

Forget even thinking about going to a bank on a Friday.

Lew

A lot depends on where you live. The nearest town to me has a
population of 7100. Most of them all work in one of the big cities so
it's pretty quiet during the week for those of us who choose not to
work.

Likewise, though I'm no fan at all of BOA, in our local area, there is no
wait longer than a minute or two ifr you do go inside, but I never do for
normal transactions. Friday - open just like every other day.

Our experience with our credit union has not been any more spectacular than
our experience with any bank. I can't understaned what people are
experiencing with their credit unions that makes them so enamored by them.

--

-Mike-

dpb November 8th 13 01:35 PM

Down and dirty drawers

wrote:

"Mike M" wrote:
Totally agree with you, I've never used ATM's wouldn't even know
how,
it's easier to just go inside.

Interesting.

Can't remember the last time I was in a bank.

Standing in line for 15-20 minutes waiting to get to a teller comes
under the
heading of ridiculous in my book.

Forget even thinking about going to a bank on a Friday.

Lew

A lot depends on where you live. The nearest town to me has a
population of 7100. Most of them all work in one of the big cities so
it's pretty quiet during the week for those of us who choose not to
work.

Lew mistakes the _real_ reason to go into the bank isn't to do the
routine business w/ a teller but to visit with the prez, catch up on the
local "more businessy" news in town in factual context don't get at the
coffee shop from the street, and otherwise connect w/ another
significant portion of the community...again, this presupposes using the
local bank with a local presence not the outside interloper chain that
has no interest in the community other than what can ship back to main
office from there.

If self-employed it's even more critical to have the interaction in good
times as well as calling in the bad.

Swingman November 8th 13 03:12 PM

Down and dirty drawers

On 11/5/2013 11:50 AM, Leon wrote:

I pay no fees, and the moment my bank chooses to do so I will be
changing banks, I can be charged a fee at any bank.
The only thing keeping me from changing banks now is the effort to
change and or the possibility of having to pay fees.

99.999% of my banking is done online for the past ten years. AAMOF, my
main bank, which charges no fees whatsoever, is in San Antonio,TX, 200
miles away. In the past few years I no longer even have to go to the
bank to deposit a check, as I can deposit a check, any check, using my
cell phone/tablet quicker than I can fill out a deposit slip and drive
to bank; with the funds, more often than not, instantly available.

It's a good thing, since the rare cash I ever get is apparently
considered by the other inmates as "our money", and quickly disappears
from my wallet. ;)

[email protected] November 8th 13 06:05 PM

Down and dirty drawers

On Friday, November 8, 2013 7:35:20 AM UTC-6, dpb wrote:

Lew mistakes the _real_ reason to go into the bank isn't to do the

routine business w/ a teller but to visit with the prez, catch up on the

local "more businessy" news in town in factual context don't get at the

coffee shop from the street, and otherwise connect w/ another

significant portion of the community...again, this presupposes using the

local bank with a local presence not the outside interloper chain that

has no interest in the community other than what can ship back to main

office from there.

If self-employed it's even more critical to have the interaction in good

times as well as calling in the bad.

OR... maybe Lew has the same situation I do. I have banked at the same bank for over 30 years. People come and people go. I live in a town of about 1.3 million when including the metro area, and San Antonio TX is usually #7 or #8 in population size in the US depending on the reporter.

YEARS ago I had the same bank officer for some time. But that all changed as did the way banking is done here in TX. We use the branch system, so while you might be talking to a branch manager, so you light years away from talking to the "Prez" of the banking system. Some tiny state banks might still have a president in the bank, but I doubt it.

And since a branch can be set up with a good computer link, a nice vault, and a tiny space inside to service customers that actually want to come in, bank branches are relatively inexpensive to open. So in my neck of the woods the expansion of all banks is ceaseless. They go through people rapidly, promoting those they like, training for different positions to increased their value to the bank, and then of course losing them due to the low wages paid to the rank and file.

Since I have been with the same bank so long they actually assign a rep to my account. The rep usually lasts about 9 months to a year, sometimes longer, but is just a rep. Gone are the days of relationship banking where I could call my guy, get a few thousand put in my account and stop by later in the day to sign the papers. As it is, I am lucky they waive all fees and charges to the account.

Self employed for 30 years now, I don't see the need to go in the bank. It is a wasted of time to me to interface with people that will be gone in a few months when my banking requirements are so low these days. And I only go by the bank a mile from my house when I am paid on a job and make a deposit on the way home, or to get some cash. Unless you are living in a rural environment, the folks that work in the branch are pretty much just place holders. If you don't believe it, go in and ask your favorite guy (that you have known for years)for a $10,000 personal loan and see how long it takes to get it.

Although I am resentful of how little they pay to use my money, I like the new banking ways better. At least now I don't have to listen to someone pretend that they give a crap about me or my company when I have to use bank services. They do as little as possible now and make no pretense about it.

Robert