Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Jummywood

I was curious to see how far back the archives of the wreck actually go. For some - this will just bring a smile.

I finally decided to go to the archives and reminisce over the old flame
wars, Mongo and his brother (I wonder if they ever did build that plane?)
and others. I had to laugh when I came across this old one and thought I'd
share it. Sometimes, the old times are the best!
A question was posed:

"but what is the story behind Jummywood? Where did the name come from?"

Sit back boys and girls, and let me tell you the story of the Jummywood
tree.

Long ago, in a small town in Oz lived a man who we'll call Phully. Now
Phully was a talented and gifted wood basher who could pop out an
entertainment center, two end tables, a bookcase, and two wine racks before
lunch. After noon, when he finished his 9th Fosters, he went back into the
shop and there before him stood a poor Aussie waif.

"Pardon me sir, but I'm hungry. Could I have the crumbs from your mullet
sandwich - please sir?" Phully was all choked up ~ not because the kid was
hungry but because he had just killed off his last grog and was going to
miss his 2:00 "coffee break" if he didn't go to market and pick up another 6
cases. "I tells you what you farkin little elf - you stay here and tend to
the shop while I go get some more grog - er I mean groceries and I'll be
right back."

Along the way Phully spied some old mates at the pub down the street and
wandered back to the shop after dark. The poor emaciated waif had taken all
the pine boards off the back of the shop and built some of the finest
furniture Phully had ever seen. It had a touch of old country flavor to it
and in his awe and amazement, he awakened the lad and bought him his own
loaf of bread.

"This is the finest 'kin work in the land. Reminds me of the talents of my
top bloke in the states, it does - Jummy Mc Namara in Texas," he exclaimed.
From here on out, you will be my indentured servant. Now *no one* is to
know that you build this fine furniture for me - I'll always put me leather
patch on it I will." But if anyone asks - you never touch the jarrah - only
the pine."

"Peen?" the young lad replied.
"No - I said pine" in his usual Aussie drawl.

"Pain?" the youth queried again.

"For the love of God son, call it Jummywood!"

So for those of you non-believers who don't believe there is such a thing as
a Jummywood tree, let me assure you there is. Just as there is a Santa
Claus, Easter Bunny, and E.T. It ain't as expensive as walnut or ipe, but I
mean after all - wood don't grown on trees!

So there you have it - the birth of Jummywood.

Now close your eyes, think good thoughts, and go to sleep.

Good night boys and girls.

Jummy ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/24/2013 7:57 AM, Jimmy McNamara wrote:
I was curious to see how far back the archives of the wreck actually go. For some - this will just bring a smile.

I finally decided to go to the archives and reminisce over the old flame
wars, Mongo and his brother (I wonder if they ever did build that plane?)
and others. I had to laugh when I came across this old one and thought I'd
share it. Sometimes, the old times are the best!
A question was posed:

Jummy, is this really you then? Not some sort of polterdorker?
Inquiring minds...
mahalo,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking

Aloha Jo4hn! It really IS me . . . been out of the wood bashing for over a decade now and thought I'd stop by to say hello. Hope all is well with you and yours. Talk about a change of venue: www.jimmymacvegas.com